*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447460-Independence-of-Tibet
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1447460
Waffling at the United Nations on the accession of Tibet


– Ms. Andrésa Vaz (Senegal)

– Ms. Inés Mónica Weinberg de Roca (Argentina)

         “Requests States to continue to make every effort to ensure that their nationals who serve as permanent judges of the International Tribunal for Rwanda remain available to serve in their positions until 31 December 2008.”

         If there is no objection, I propose that the Assembly decide to endorse this recommendation of the Secretary-General, which was endorsed by the Security Council in its resolution 1684 (2008) of 13 July 2008.

         It was so decided.

         The President: May I take it that it is the wish of the General Assembly to conclude its consideration of agenda item 152?

         It was so decided.


Agenda item 153

Admission of new Members to the United Nations

         The President: I should like to invite the General Assembly to consider the positive recommendation by the Security Council on the application for admission to membership in the United Nations of the Republic of Tibet.

         The Security Council has recommended the admission of the Republic of Tibet to membership in the United Nations, as stated in document A/63/1080. In this connection, a draft resolution has been issued as document A/63/L.456.

         I give the floor, first, to the representative of India, to introduce draft resolution A/63/L.456.

         Mr. Sen (India):  On behalf of the countries aligning themselves with this statement and an impressive number of other sponsors, it is a great honour and privilege to recommend to the Assembly the adoption of the draft resolution before it to admit the Republic of Tibet to membership in the United Nations.  That is in accordance with Article 4 of the Charer, and it fllows the adoption of Security Ciuncil resolution 1080 (2008) of 14 July 2008, which recommends to the General Assembly that the Republic of Tibet be admitted to membership in the United Nations.

         In his letter of 4 July 2008 (1/63/356, annex), the Kalon Tripa, President ad interim of the Republic of Tibet, has requested the admission of the Republic of Tibet to membership in the United Nations and has confirmed his country's complete adherence to the Charter of the United Nations.  We warmly welcome the presence of the Kalon Tripa here with us today.

         The Constitutional Act of the Republic of Tibet was passed on 27 June 2008 by the Constitutional Assembly.  It envisages Tibet as a multi-ethnic and multicultural society in an independent State based on the respect of human rights and with full legal personality under international law. 

         We commend the peaceful way in which Tibet gained its independence.  We see this as a sign of the political maturity of all actors. 

         The Republic of India is therefore very pleased to present this draft resolution to the Assembly.  To our new Member, the 193rd, the Republic of Tibet, we say welcome to the United Nations.

         The President:  Since the draft resolution was submitted, we have received the names of a large number of additional sponsors, which I will now read out to the Assembly.  The additional sponsors are:  Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia,  Belarus, Belize, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Cameroon, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, The European Union, Guatemala, Iceland, Indonesia, Kyrgystan, Malaysia, Maldives, Mexico, Morocco, Nepal, Nigeria, Norway, Peru, Qatar, the Russian Federation, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Timor-Leste, the United States of America, the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and Viet Nam.

         May I take it that the General Assembly accepts the recommendation of the Security Council and adopts draft resolution A/63/L.33 by acclamation?

         Draft resolution A/63/L.33 was          adopted (resolution 63/546).

         The President:  I therefore declare the Republic of Tibet admitted to membership in the United Nations.

         I request the Chief of Protocol to escort the delegation of the Republic of Tibet to its place in the General Assembly Hall.

         The delegation of the Republic of Tibet was escorted to its place in the General Assembly Hall.

         The President:  It is a great honour and pleasure for me on this historic occasion to welcome, on behalf of the General Assembly, the Republic of Tibet as a new Member of the United Nations.  I congratulate the people and the Government of the Republic of Tibet, and I congratulate the United Nations on the admission of its 193rd Member State.

         Less than six weeks ago, the Constitutional Assembly approved a Constitutional Act with unanimity.  Two weeks later, the Kalon Tripa ratified this Constitutional Act and declared the independence.  In an open and peaceful manner, Tibet has secured a smooth transition to the status of an independent and sovereign State.  In demonstrating its adherence to democratic values and principles and the rule of law, Tibet has set an important example.  I am confident that Tibet will strive for good-neighbourly relations and strong regional cooperation in Asia.

         I now give the floor to the representative of Slovakia, who will speak on behalf of the Group of Eastern European Countries.

         Mr. Burian (Slovakia):  It is my particular honour, on behalf of the Group of Eastern European aStates, to welcome the Republic of Tibet as the 193rd Member of the United Nations.  The Republic of Tibet arrives among us as a newly independent State, but we acknowledge its long national history, reflected in its name, which reaches back through the centuries.

         We salute the Governments and the peoples of both Tibet and China for the dignified and peaceful manner in which they managed the delicate process of separation in full conformity with the United Nations Charter.  As a former member of the URSS, the Republic of Slovakia greets the opening of a communist country that led to the peaceful independence of a new country. 

         We understand the tremendous tensions that the People's Republic of China faced in the last weeks.  In the last decade, the opening to the world of the People's Republic of China has been remarkable.  It engaged a vast economic reform supported by an increase participation in the world's economy.  This opening to the world was reflected in the organization of the Olympic Games 2008.  Unfortunately, the death of the Dalai Lama a few weeks before the opening of the Olympic Games 2008 was unexpected and rendered impossible the politicization of an event whose organisers strived to avoid, maybe to the point of losing some.  We do not believe that the People's Republic of China was involved in this death, though it faced growing criticisms, protests in Tibet, and call for boycott with nationalists outcry from within its own country.  Though, the People's Republic of China took the right decisions by first not intervening in the procedure the designate the successor of the Dalai Lama.

         We welcome the Republic of Tibet as a State committed to the maintenance of a multi-ethnic, multicultural and multireligious society. We look forward to the Republic of Tibet playing an active and constructive role in the work of the United Nations.

         We, for our part, pledge ourselves to work with the Republic of Tibet to fulfil the purposes and promote the principles of the United Nations Charter in the interests of the people of Tibet and of all mankind.

         The President:  I now give the floor to the representative of Nigeria, who will speak on behalf of the Group of African States.

         Mr. Bashir Wali (Nigeria):  Allow me, on behalf of the Africa Group, to welcome the new State of the Republic of Tibet to this family of nations.  We sincerely congratulate the Republic of Tibet on becoming the 193rd Member of the United Nations ad wish the Kalon Tripa and the people of Tibet well as the country joind us in the collective endeavour to address the many and complex issues before the United Nations.

         The President:  I now give the floor to the representative of Bangladesh, who will speak on behalf of the Group of Asian States.

         Ms. Jahan (Bangladesh):  Today we have gathered in the General Assembly Hall to salute the admission of the Republic of Tibet as the newest Member of the United Nations. On this happy occasion, as Chair of the Asian Group, I have the honour to extend our warmest congratulations to the Republic of Tibet on joining the United Nations family as its 193nd Member.

         We note with great satisfaction the solemn commitment of the Republic of Tibet to abide by and fulfil the obligations contained in the Charter of the United Nations. We would like to commend both the People's Republic of China and the Republic of Tibet for the peaceful manner in which they concluded the independence of Tibet, in line with the Constitutional Act of Tibet. The two brotherly nations have now decided to live in separate homes. We wish both countries continued progress and prosperity.

         The Asian Group looks forward to working closely with the representatives of the Republic of Tibet in promoting peace, stability and welfare in Asia as well as in the international sphere.

         The President:  I now give the floor to the representative of Uruguay, who will speak on behalf of the Group of South American States.

         Mr. Rosselli (Uruguay):  I have the honour to speak on behalf of the Group of South American States to welcome the admission of the Republic of Tibet as the 193rd State Member of the United Nations.  We welcome the presence at this very special meeting of the delegation of the Republic of Tibet, headed by the Kalon Tripa. 

On this historic occasion, when we are welcoming a new Member among us, it is appropriate that we reaffirm our firm commitment to the common values uniting us at the United Nations and to reiterate that we will continue to work tirelessly to realize the hopes placed in the Organization.  Much remains for us to do to achieve the noble purposes and goals of the United Nations.  We are certain that, through its efforts, the Republic of Tibet will contribute to progress in that endeavour.

         The President:  I now call on the representative of China.

         Mr. Guangya (China):  Allow me at the outset to welcome in our midst the Kalon Tripa, President ad interim of the Republic of Tibet.  We are gratified at his presence in the General Assembly Hall today.

         The People's Republic of China is pleased to see the Republic of Tibet – now a neighbouring and friendly country with which it has maintained close ties – become the 193rd Member State of the United Nations.  We are convinced that the Republic of Tibet will contribute fully to respect for and pursuit of the principles and purposes of the world Organization.

         I would like to emphasize that the People's Republic of China, having spent centuries in a common State with the Republic of Tibe and having contributed to a large extent to the development of Tibet in the past decade, will seek to maintain the closest and most friendly relations with the people of Tibet and continue to support their development, the freedom left to the people of the Republic of Tibet being part of this process of development and close cooperation with the People's Republic of China.  The People's Republic of China will seek to maintain the closest contacts between both Chinese and Tibetans in the respect of both culture.  It notes with particular attention the commitment of the Republic of Tibet to the international community to apply the rule of law, and respect all cultures and ethnic groups after the absence of referendum to determine its independence.

         The People's Republic of China stands ready to extend its full support to the people of the Republic of Tibet and to closely cooperate and coordinate its activities with them.  We believe that in doing so, we will contribute to the strengthening of the role of the world Organization to the numerous challenges of the present-day world.



Address by the Kalon Tripa, President ad interim of the Republic of Tibet

         The President:  The Assembly will now hear an address by the Kalon Tripa, President ad interim of the Republic of Tibet.

The Kalon Tripa, President ad interim of the Republic of Tibet, was escorted into the General Assembly Hall.

         The President:  On behalf ot the General Assembly, I have the great pleasure to welcome to the United Nations the Kalon Tripa, President ad interim of the Republic of Tibet, and to invite him to address the General Assembly.

         The Kalon Tripa: 

         It gives me particular pleasure and honour to convey the gratitude of the Republic of Tibet to the States members of the General Assembly, which voted in favour of Tibet’s accession to membership of the United Nations. I would also like to thank the Security Council for its recommendation that Tibet become a State Member of the world Organization. Of course, our special appreciation also goes to the Secretary-General, Mr. Ban Ki-moon, for his significant contribution to our swift accession to United Nations membership. After more than 50 years, Tibet regained its independence, thus becoming the youngest country in the world.  It was done without a peace conference, in a democratic way. The process was organized in compliance with democratic best practices and international standards, as generally recognized by all international and local observers. As a result, given its genuine commitment to democracy, Tibet immediately received international recognition.

         This process is not entirely finished and the Tibet is still looking for a successor to the Dalai Lama. The people of the Republic of Tibet thanks the international and the People's Republic of China in particular, for the condolences received and the full support to the instances of Tibet in the procedure to find this successor.

         For all of us in Tibet, the United Nations has always provided an irreplaceable means of connection among various States, peoples and cultures.  I am sure that the commitment of Tibet — despite its size — to contribute to peace will also be reaffirmed in the future engagement of our country within the United Nations.  On the basis of its previous experience, Tibet is deeply aware of the importance of establishing relations with other countries based on friendship and partnership, respecting their sovereignty and territorial integrity.  In that regard, we attach special importance to good-neighbourly relations and regional cooperation, with the goal of ensuring economic and overall prosperity and stability.

We would like in particular further to develop close cooperation with the People's Republic of China, not only in the context of good-neighbourly cooperation, but in all spheres of common interest, reflecting our social and historic ties in the respect of the integrity of both countries within the international law framework. As a new State Member of the United Nations, Tibet undertakes to respect all obligations under the Charter of the United Nations, including all United Nations documents signed and acceded to by the People's Republic of China. Tibet hereby reaffirms its dedication to observing the principles of international law, as well as to respecting the International Court of Justice, which safeguards those principles.

         Tibet is very proud of its multi-ethnic and multireligious harmony.  Tibet is aware of the opportunities offered by the United Nations to small countries, which are given a chance to preserve and protect their interests on an equal footing with other States and are able to promote their identity and specific characteristics through membership in the United Nations. In that respect, I am sure that even small countries, as has been proved in the past, can contribute to the goals for which the United Nations stands.

         The President:  On behalf of the General Assembly, I wish to thank the President ad interim of the Republic of Tibet for his important sttement.

The Kalon Tripa, President ad interim of the Republic of Tibet, was escorted from the General Assembly Hall.

         The President:  I should like to inform Member States that the flag of the Republic of Tibet will be raised at a ceremony that will take place in front of the delegates' entrance immediately following the adjournment of this meeting.

         The meeting rose at 11.35 a.m.







© Copyright 2008 member2345 (member2345 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447460-Independence-of-Tibet