*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1439962-Lettter-on-Baptism
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Letter/Memo · Religious · #1439962
A letter I wrote after hearing a pastor's message on baptism.
         I recently attended your church and heard a sermon given on baptism. I want to start off first by agreeing with you that baptism is a necessary step that should be taken in every Christian’s life. I hear too many people these days say that baptism is just a symbol to publicly show that you are saved. I believe it is much more than that and the Bible seems to say the same thing. In John 3:5 Jesus said "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.” And in Mark 16:16 Jesus says “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” So it is obvious to any Bible reader that Jesus commanded us to be baptized.

         Now from the sermon I understand that you believe that someone must believe first and then be baptized. This leaves two groups of people who by your belief can never be baptized. The first group being infants and the second group being people who are severely mentally handicapped that can not make that decision for themselves. In the sermon you hinted that you do not believe in original sin and inaccurately stated that St. Augustine was the first to come up with the idea of original sin. In the Bible, St. Paul explains original sin. Romans 5:14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come. In verse 18 he says “just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.” This clearly shows that we are all born with a sinful nature even if we have not yet committed actual sin which is why we must be born again. There are also many quotes from early Christians that believed in original sin. One of my favorites comes from Origen who said "The Church received from the apostles the tradition of giving baptism even to infants. For the apostles, to whom were committed the secrets of divine mysteries, knew that there is in everyone the innate stain of sin, which must be washed away through water and the Spirit.” This was said over 150 years before St. Augustine. I believe as has the church since it’s beginning that we are all born with original sin and it must be cleansed through baptism. It is funny how many people say we are not born with sin but then turn around and make fun of the Catholic Church for believing in the immaculate conception of Mary when they believe everyone is born from an immaculate conception.

         So why should we withhold baptism form infants and people who are incapable of making that choice on their own? The Bible never gives an age limit on baptism. It never says you must be at the age of reason to be able to be baptized. Yes many people who are baptized in the New Testament are adults but that makes sense since Christianity was new so all would need to be baptized. Nobody in the Bible was denied baptism. There are many examples of entire households being baptized. In Acts 16:15 Lydia and her entire house hold were baptized. In Acts 16:33 the Jailer and his family were baptized. Notice that in these verses the children in the house were not denied baptism. Looking at society in those days there was no birth control so families were typically large families that included various ages of children. Often times all the servants in the house were considered to be part of the household who most likely would have children of their own. But I think it is best to look at what Jesus said when women were trying to bring their infants to Jesus. Luke 18:15And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. 16But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.  I think Jesus would rebuke any church that refuses to baptize the little children.
         Can a person’s faith help save another person? Let’s see what the Bible says. In Matthew Chapter 8 the faith of the Centurion was enough to have his servant healed without Jesus ever entering his house. When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. Here are some more versus. Matthew 9: 2 Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven." Matthew 15:28 Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour. So as you can see someone else’s faith can stand in for someone who can not express their faith on their own. And can an infant have faith? In the Bible St. John the Baptist leapt in his mother’s stomach when Mary who was pregnant with Jesus came near. Right there is Biblical proof that an infant even before they were born can have faith. I am glad and you should be too that your parents had enough faith to express your faith in our infant baptisms which truly was your only valid baptism. To say that one must be baptized again after they have already been baptized as an infant is to deny the power of God that was given during that original baptism. There is only one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
         The next issue I wanted to address is weather or not full immersion is the only valid form for baptism. The answer is no. Baptism by immersion and by infusion are both valid forms and were both practiced by the early church. The Didache  which was written around 70AD that gives a strong witness to the way things were done in the apostolic age says "Concerning baptism, baptize in this manner: Having said all these things beforehand, baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit in living water [that is, in running water, as in a river]. If there is no living water, baptize in other water; and, if you are not able to use cold water, use warm. If you have neither, pour water three times upon the head in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." These instructions were composed either while some of the apostles and disciples were still alive or during the next generation of Christians, and they represent an already established custom. Tertullian described baptism by saying that it is done "with so great simplicity, without pomp, without any considerable novelty of preparation, and finally, without cost, a man is baptized in water, and amid the utterance of some few words, is sprinkled, and then rises again, not much (or not at all) the cleaner." There is also archeological evidence that shows immersion was not the only valid form of baptism. The earliest Christian artwork shows baptism by pouring. Tiles mosaics in ancient churches and paintings in the catacombs depict baptisms by pouring. Also an early Christian baptistery was found in a church in Jesus’ hometown of Nazareth which dates from the second century, and was too small and narrow in which to immerse a person. So it is obvious that the first Christians took all forms of baptism as valid.
         Since you believe that the Bible is the sole authority for Christians lets examine if the Bible only accepts baptism by immersion. The word baptizo can be defined as immersion but it was also used for washing up. In Luke 11:38 when Jesus ate at the Pharisee’s house “the Pharisee was astonished to see that he did not first wash before dinner.” In the original text baptizo was used for wash. And in Mark 7:3-4 the word baptizo was also used to mean wash. So it does not only mean to immerse.  Also in Acts Jesus promised the disciples that they will be baptized with the Holy Spirit and three times in Acts 2 it states that the Holy Spirit was poured out on them when Pentecost came. This shows that the meaning of baptize is broad enough to include pouring. Ezekiel prophesized about Jesus and in Ezekiel chapter 36 he makes a prophesy that I believe is about baptism which states 25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. These verses prophesy exactly what the Catholic Church believes happens in baptism.
         There is also the issue of people who can not be immersed in water either because of  physical illnesses or because of  environmental issues. Why would Jesus command something be required and then make it only possible in one form that can not be accomplished by some people? I believe that God will let us receive the Holy Spirit through baptism no matter if we are baptized by immersion, infusion, or sprinkling. If you want to believe that immersion is the only way that it should be done that is OK just don’t condemn everyone who rightfully claims that the other forms of baptism are acceptable and please don’t withhold it from somebody that is unable to be immersed because the promises of Jesus Christ are for everyone.
         In conclusion Jesus has commanded us to baptize all in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. We are all born with the sinful nature that came from our first father Adam so all need to be baptized and reborn into the life of Jesus. No matter what form of baptism is used God gives us his gift of sanctifying grace, purifies us from all sins, makes us a new creature, an adopted son of God and a temple of the Holy Spirit. It is so much more than just a symbol showing all that we have accepted Jesus Christ as our savior. It is our way of being reborn that Jesus talked about.
© Copyright 2008 orrincoolguy (orrincoolguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1439962-Lettter-on-Baptism