*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1437650-The-Flight
Rated: · Script/Play · Drama · #1437650
Movie Short for Funhouse Pictures.
FADE IN:

INT. TAXI - DAY

A WOMAN, late 20s, sophisticated dress, dark sunglasses, sits in the backseat of a taxicab. She is holding a CELL PHONE to her ear.

WOMAN
We’re about five minutes out.

Her accent tells us she is of English decent.

WOMAN (CONT’D)
Yes, I have the briefcase.

BEAT.

WOMAN (CONT’D)
Alright, I will see you then.

She CLOSES the phone and removes her sunglasses. She stares out the window, although looking at nothing in particular. The afternoon is dreary, the sky aligned with dark, rolling clouds. She nervously taps her fingertips on the BRIEFCASE sitting beside her.

CABBIE (O.C.)
So, you on business?

The cab driver, male, late 40s, thick Brooklyn accent, tries to engage his fare in light conversation.

WOMAN
Somewhat.

CABBIE
Where ya headed?

WOMAN
Washington DC.

CABBIE
Oh, the capital. Ya know I...

WOMAN
(interrupting)
I’m sorry. I have a lot to think about
right now, do you mind?

CABBIE
Sure, suit yourself.

EXT. AIRPORT - MOMENTS LATER

The cab pulls to a stop at a DEPARTING FLIGHTS door. The woman steps out of the cab, her briefcase in tow. She lightly slams the TAXI’S DOOR and places her glasses back on her face.

She hurriedly walks toward the airport’s entrance. A BAGGAGE HANDLER reaches out to the woman, but she avoids him. She strides through the entrance.

INT. AIRPORT - LATER

From this angle, WE SEE the woman’s legs as she strides through the main terminal. She walks through the terminal quickly and uninterrupted.

INT. AIRPORT - LATER

The woman approaches the GATE DESK and hands the GIRL behind the counter, early 20s , bearing the name ‘KATIE’ on her NAMETAG, her ticket information and identification. She removes her glasses from her face.

The girl looks over the information and punches some key on her KEYBOARD. The woman nervously glances around the room.

Katie returns the woman’s flight information and identification, all the while holding steadfast to her gleaming, plastic smile.

KATIE
Thank you Samantha. Your flight
to Washington is on time. We will
begin boarding in twenty minutes.

SAMANTHA
Thank you.

Samantha walks into a mildly secluded corner near the gate. She takes her cell phone out of her purse. She opens it and speaks into the receiver.

SAMANTHA (CONT’D)
Victor.

The phone auto-dials Victor.

INT. OFFICE - CONTINUOUS

A MAN, who we assume to be Victor, answers his office line. WE can only see his hand, which is adorned with a large diamond PINKIE RING, and a partial view of his face.

VICTOR
Yeah.

INT. AIRPORT - CONTINUOUS

Samantha takes a deep sigh when she hears Victor’s voice.

SAMANTHA
Yes, Victor...

INT. OFFICE - CONTINUOUS

VICTOR
If you’re on a cell phone, you better
not be using my name.

INT. AIRPORT - CONTINUOUS

SAMANTHA
(flustered)
Oh, I’m sorry. I have the briefcase
and I’m on the way to Washington.

INT. OFFICE - CONTINUOUS

VICTOR
Good. So you’re clear on the plan.

INT. AIRPORT - CONTINUOUS

SAMANTHA
Yes. Now what about Fred?

INT. OFFICE - CONTINUOUS

VICTOR
Don’t ask questions, just do as you
were told.

After a brief pause on the other end, Victor answers the question.

VICTOR (CONT’D)
Fred will be fine. Don’t worry about him.
Just do what you’re told and Fred will be
fine.

INT. AIRPORT - CONTINUOUS

Samantha’s eyes are closed. When she hears the news about Fred, her face softens and a smile appears. She takes a deep sigh of relief.

SAMANTHA
Ok, well, thank you Vic...
(trailing off)
Um, yes, thank you. Well I would say
I’d talk to you soon, but...good bye.

INT. PLANE - LATER

Samantha sits uncomfortably in a window seat. She is sitting next to a LARGE MAN, who is nodding off. Each time his head gets closer to her shoulder, she appears more anxious.

The briefcase sits on her lap. She is nervously twitching her legs, which causes the briefcase to bounce up and down. She looks at the briefcase and suddenly stops twitching.

The man in the next seat to her has fallen asleep. His head falls onto her shoulder for support. This startles Samantha, who then elbows the man in his cushioned side. He wakes up and appears alert.

PASSENGER
So are you headed to DC for business?

SAMANTHA
Yes, well sort of.

PASSENGER
What is it that you do?

SAMANTHA
I work for an art dealer in SOHO.

PASSENGER
What, are you selling a painting to someone
in Congress?

SAMANTHA
No, I’m not actually going to DC?

PASSENGER
Oh, layover? Believe me, I know how that
is. I travel a lot for work, so I’m used to that.

SAMANTHA
No, not a layover.

PASSENGER
Oh, so what’s in the briefcase?

SAMANTHA
I’m sorry, I have a really nasty headache.

PASSENGER
Oh, sorry.

The passenger looks confused, but doesn’t bother her any longer.
A young, FEMALE FLIGHT ATTENDANT approaches the row with a DRINK CART.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT
(to Samantha)
Would you care for a beverage?

SAMANTHA
Yes, I’ll have a water, please.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT
And for you, sir?

PASSENGER
I’ll take a diet cola.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT
Yes, sir.

The flight attendant hands both Samantha and the other passenger a bags of pretzels.
As she begins to pour a glass of water for Samantha, the lights turn off and a strange, rattling NOISE can be HEARD outside of the plane.

The flight attendant struggles to find her footing, that is caused by the jolt. The plane loses a little ground and OXYGEN MASKS fall from the over-head compartments.
Samantha’s anxiety increases as she clutches the briefcase to her chest.

The OTHER PASSENGERS start a low-roaring commotion.

The flight attendant is taken aback by the incident. She learned in training how to handle situations like this, but never before had to use her skills.

FLIGHT ATTENDENT
(unsteady but loud)
Everyone please remain calm. We have
just lost some cabin pressure. Please put on
your oxygen masks and breath normally.

There is now a little more turbulence in the cabin. The drink cart’s brake gives way and it starts rolling quickly toward the rear of the plane and slams into the back wall.

The flight attendant, appearing almost frantic, turns toward the front of the plane an attempts to make her way toward the cockpit. The rear of the plane appears to be almost too heavy, as it starts to sag toward the ground.

Samantha places the oxygen mask over her nose and mouth and makes attempt to breath normally, but her heart and breath patterns are racing. She closes her eyes and clutches the briefcase very tightly to her chest.

The flight attendant is almost to the cockpit when her arm is grabbed by a MALE PASSENGER in the second row.

PASSENGER 2
How do you do this?

The flight attendant shakes her head and sighs. She places the oxygen mask over his face and pulls tightly on the elastic bands.

FLIGHT ATTENDENT
If you had listened to my announcements,
this wouldn’t be an issue right now.

The passengers grow increasingly restless as the plane looses its altitude.
Their screams and moans are a clear sign that the cabin pressure is affecting them, even with the oxygen masks in place.

SAMANTHA
I can’t die.

PASSENGER
What?


SAMANTHA
I can’t die. If I die now, then Fred will die.

PASSENGER
Who the hell is Fred?

SAMANTHA
Fred is my...

Before Samantha is able to finish her sentence there is a loud, unbearable NOISE and then nothing but black.

ROLL END CREDITS.

© Copyright 2008 Abigail Gilmor (amgilmor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1437650-The-Flight