*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1428542-Empty-Chairs
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #1428542
Emptiess and Sadness at the time of war
As we look out over the room full of chairs, we think back to the day, not so long ago, when the room was full of chattering. Gossiping, discussing homework, or just wishing each other a great day.
Today as we look out of the same classroom, the room is quieter. Many of the chairs are empty of their occupants. You wonder, "What could be so unusual about this room or the silence that is as heavy as an iron hand?" This week many of our men and women were called to duty for their country.
Their seats are empty and void of their voices. Absent are the voices of our children, voices of our fathers and mothers, voices of our brothers and sisters, the voices of our friends.

The teachers cry; their hearts filled with pain, knowledge, and despair. Teachers that have seen this before and are afraid of what they remember. These teachers are those that have taught us what true pride, strength, courage and compassion are. Every one of us will be called to fight in a war. Some of us in a physical, bloody, dark battle. Others of us in a battle taking place here in our homeland. A battle against hatred, violence, drugs, and murder. A battle that we are given the weapons to fight, weapons that our teachers have armed us with. They remind us of where we come from, what our founding fathers stood for, what rights and privileges that those that have come before us fought to provide us with. I see such pain in their eyes and I can do nothing to relieve that pain. Except to tell them, yes we may be called at some point and time in our lives to lay our lives down for what we believe and to protect others from tyranny and repression, but it is you who have loved us, guided us, and have given us a lifeline to hold true to. For this you are the ones that will be remembered with fondness.

Our friends cry; their hearts breaking knowing that you will not be there when they turn around in their seats to ask a question or to say hello. Yet, it is these friends that remind us of what we as a country are fighting for. Many countries do not have the privileges we do. In many countries only the rich and powerful are allowed an education. Women are never allowed to attend classes or to appear in public. We are a country of choices, dreams, and hopes. Our friends are those that remind us of those elements that make us a great and powerful country.

Yet, to have the privileges we hold dear and true to our hearts many Americans have had to lie down their lives in the past and will continue to do so in the generations to come to protect those rights. For every single drop of blood spilled the world part of our hearts may die but for every drop of blood spilled we as a human race are one step closer to being free of tyranny and despair.

So as well look out over the classroom and see those chairs; empty and silent, think of the love that person leaves behind in their actions. Protecting our borders from those that wish to destroy us, for fighting for our rights to be a free people, and for this we love them all the more.

© Copyright 2008 Quet_Storm (quiet_storm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1428542-Empty-Chairs