*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426580-Griffin
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1426580
A medieval fantasy about a 17 year old boy and his comrades.
Chapter 1



    Block. Over cut. Cross cut. Strike. Block. Rake. Dodge. Grapple. Thrust. Block. Leg sweep. Bind. Disengage. Block. Over cut. Shove. Strike. Under cut. Block. Grapple. Parry. Thrust. Rake. Block. Dodge. Leg sweep. Bind. Disengage. Block. Horizontal strike. 

    Maneuvers played out in Gabriel Talon's mind as if he had rehearsed them. Maintaining the reputation as the best swordfighter in Falconmar village was taxing. He had to exercise every day and keep up appearances. If he guaranteed a man a duel at noon he'd better be there or else be declared a coward. Never in his life had he missed a duel and he never intended to do so. He loved sword fighting more than anything else in his life. It was all he had now that his mother had passed away.
    An epidemic that had spread through the Kingdom of Aldaeric left his mother cold and lifeless. It had killed hundreds, leaving families torn and broken. After his father was killed in war, his mother was all he had left to live for. He worked hard to keep him and his mother fed and warm during square the freezing, harsh winters. But when the epidemic hit, he was left an orphan. For many months he grieved, not showing himself to the world, hidden, alone in his house. Eventually, he found sanctuary in sword fighting and his best friend Seth Wolfe whom he had been friends with since birth. Seth also had no parents. His mom died in childbirth and his father died in the same war as Gabriel's. He lived with his aunt in a small hut not far from Gabriel's own house.
    After painful months of dealing with his mother's death, he began to socialize with other villagers and finally, the sadness went away. He would think of his mother and not feel sadness, but respect. She had been everything he ever needed and wanted. She had provided for him even in her final moments of life. One day, he vowed, he would repay her for everything she had done for him. One day, he would prove himself and make her proud of him, even if she couldn't be there to witness it.
    Now, as Gabriel dueled with Seth, he was in his element. His whole body moved fluently and naturally as if he were writing on a piece of parchment. Lunges and thrusts were performed listlessly as he engaged his friend in friendly combat. His feet were agile and swift as he maneuvered himself in good position to strike.
    Gabriel hooked his sword over Seth's and forced him downward, Gabriel's strength overcoming him. Seth ducked out of the way and disengaged from the trap. Gabriel regained his balance just in time to block an incoming cross cut aimed at his waist while hitting Seth on the side of the head. By this time, a large crowd had gathered like they always did when the two best sword fighters in Falconmar were sparing. Their cheers at all of the masterfully performed stunts reverberated through the village. Even though both fighters were extraordinary, everyone knew who would win.
    Seth was getting tired and his movements became heavy and sloppy. After several clashes, Gabriel swept his left foot under Seth, knocking him to the ground, and lowered the dull sword tip of his sword only centimeters from Seth's neck. The crowd cheered for another famous victory from Gabriel and congratulated him. Sticking his hand out, he helped Seth onto his feet and patted him on the back.
    "Nice match Seth. I swear it's getting harder to beat you every time. I'd better learn some new tricks or else there may be a new champion in town," Gabriel laughed while Seth bent down to pick up a sack he placed by the dueling square every spar to collect money and stowed it in his coat pocket. 
    He and Seth wedged their way through the crowd and headed towards the village marketplace. Vibrant colors led the way to the constant festivities that took place in the center of town. Banners were engraved with the names of shops and new events taking place. On the right, was the armor smith, blacksmith, and tailor. Lining the left were butcher shops and delis and other shops with amazing food that he and Seth would probably never be able to afford. The smells tempted him greatly, and he gazed into the shops with envious eyes. Through all of the temptations, he swore never to steal, and to righteously earn everything that he obtained.
    "So, how much did we earn today?" Gabriel inquired.
    Seth fished for his coin sack. He poured out the contents into his palm and quickly sized up the amount. "Not nearly enough for a decent lunch," he said sadly, handing the sack over to Gabriel. "What else are we supposed to do in the dueling square to earn some good money? You punching me in the head all the time isn't helping and it hurts a darn lot too. I can't keep living like this and neither can you," Seth kicked a bottle, sending it spinning down the dirt path.
    "I know. It's not working," Gabriel halted and put out an arm to stop Seth. He took Seth by the shoulders. "Have you ever thought about leaving Falconmar? Maybe even leaving Caleren? Who knows what's out there. There could be great opportunities just waiting for us. What about Jarret? I'm sure we could make loads more money there than we are now."
    Seth looked at Gabriel the same way as he always did when he started rambling on about exploring the world. "You know I can't do that. I have to provide for my aunt. Without me, she would have no one to look after her. She would starve. I could never do that to her after she took me in for all those years and gave me a place to sleep after my dad died. You know it better than anybody." His aunt was sick from the remnants of the epidemic and he didn't want to leave her behind, even if she didn't have much life left in her.
    "Yes, I do know, but you have to move out sometime. I am seventeen and you sixteen. Both of us are nearly adults. Surely you could find someone to look after her for you," Gabriel and Seth continued walking through the village marketplace. "Wait," Gabriel stopped. "Maybe we could take your aunt with us. We could find some place for her to live in Aldaeric. I've heard that the people there have more money then they know what to do with, so we could find her a family to house and feed her. Trust me Seth; they would be able to give her a better life than we ever could."
    "Let me think about it, ok Gabriel? It's easy for you to leave. You have nothing to lose. You could always go without me, you know," Seth held his breath, not meaning what he said.
    "Oh come now Seth, you know I could never leave you here. You're the only thing I have left," Gabriel said sincerely, hoping that Seth wasn't being serious about staying in Falconmar while he ventured off alone. "Come on and let's try and find to something to eat."
    They walked along the narrow paths lined with stands selling fruits and odd trinkets in search of a shop running any bargains. Not finding anything, they headed to the local inn where a friend of theirs worked and often gave them good food for cheap prices.
    The wooden exterior of the immense inn stood before them with doors outstretched as if inviting them in. Grand and cheerful music filled the tavern performed by traveling musicians on a small stage, delighting people with their musical tales of far off places. In the center of the inn was a counter where customers handed over their coins in return for hot plates of food and rich, delicious ale straight from Bakersville, the leading brewer in Caleren. People dined at the numerous tables spread out randomly across the floor and enjoyed their meals and drinks.
    Gabriel and Seth walked up to the counter and gazed at a middle-aged man waiting on some customers who were unhappy with how their meat was cooked. The poor guy looked truly sorry and promised them that he would lower the price of their meals. He was clearly new at the job and these people were taking advantage of him. Finally, the snickering customers retreated to their wine in drunken silence and the waiter looked up to see the two young men gazing expectantly at him.
    "Do you have a problem with your meals too? 'Cause if you do, take it up with someone else. My shift is over," he huffed, throwing his apron on the ground and stomping out of the inn. Gabriel intercepted him just as he reached the doorway.
    "Can you please direct us to Evelyn Colette?" Gabriel asked innocently. The man pointed to a door at the far end of the inn and continued to trudge out of the inn and into the streets. Gabriel and Seth headed over to the door the man had pointed to. As he was walking, Gabriel got the feeling like someone was watching him, but he ignored it, thinking it was just a part of his imagination. Halfway there, Seth stopped Gabriel.
    "Hey, there's a man over there staring at you and me," Seth said in a hushed tone. Gabriel looked over his shoulder at the tables. "See him? The tall, muscular guy sitting over there. Over to the left a little." Gabriel saw him before Seth even finished speaking. He could tell at once that the guy wasn't from around here. He was oddly dressed, wearing a brown leather jerkin over a white padded shirt, dark armguards and pants, and brown leather boots reaching almost to his knees. He wore a black cloak swirled around him with the hood over his head, showing only his lower face. Across his waist, was a belt that held the most beautifully crafted scabbard he had ever seen. It was black with red and gold engravings carved into it forming beautiful pictures. He could faintly make out the shapes of a gold horse, sword, and bow, and a red griffin and dragon. The significance of these pictures was unknown to Gabriel, but he had no doubt that the sword hidden within was just as magnificent as the scabbard that sheltered it. The grip was black with a gold pommel and cross guard. "That's one heck of a scabbard isn't it," Seth whispered into Gabriel's ear in awe.
    "It sure is. I wonder where he's from. I've never seen him before," Gabriel said. "Come on, I'm hungry. We can ask around about him after we visit Evelyn. I'm sure all the other villagers will have noticed him and they're bound to know something about him." Seth pushed open a door that led to a hallway with half a dozen doors on each side. These were the rooms that could be rented by the many travelers that passed through.
    "I wonder which one she's in. I've never been back here before," Seth said as he gazed at each door as if searching for a tell-tale sign that she was inside. Suddenly, a door opened to the left and a woman in her late twenties with long red hair stepped out of the doorway.
    "Evelyn! We were just looking for you," Gabriel pulled out the sack of coins and tossed them to Evelyn.
    "Why hello Gabriel, Seth," she said, pouring the contents of the sack into her hand. She sifted through them and frowned. "You boys are gonna put me in the poor house yet. Every day you bring me less and less money. I can't keep giving you food; my boss is gonna notice sooner rather than later," she walked over to the door leading back into the bar and entered. "Take a seat while I fix you something to eat," she said as she walked off into the kitchen.
    "Well, we might as well make ourselves comfortable," Gabriel sighed, slumping into a nearby chair and waving for Seth to join him. Seth sat down across from Gabriel and glanced at the back of the inn, where the mystery man sat staring at them.
    "Man, what is that guy's problem? His eyes haven't left us since we first walked in," Seth assumed, trying to avoid eye contact with the man. Gabriel looked over to where he sat, and immediately wished he hadn't. The man's piercing blue eyes bore into him and Gabriel found that he couldn't avert his gaze. It felt like the man was gazing into his very soul, reading his thoughts and feelings. After several minutes of silent staring, Gabriel was interrupted by Evelyn arriving with the food. He was finally able to pull away from the strange, mysterious man. 
    "Here you go boys," Evelyn said cheerfully, carrying two trays of bread, porridge, and cheep wine, "Enjoy yourselves." Gabriel thanked her and took a bite of bread.
    "Hey Evelyn, wait!" Gabriel shouted after her as she walked away. Evelyn walked back to the table and Gabriel motioned for her to lean closer. "Have you noticed that guy over there in the far corner? I've never seen him around here before."
    "Aye Gabriel, he just arrived in town from Farem I've heard. Name's Gregory Reinhardt I believe. He's got a room here in the inn. Up the stairs and last door to the right. But I wouldn't go around messing with him if I were you. Nasty business if I do say so myself. You lads would do well staying away from him," Evelyn warned them, and quickly left to tend to other customers.
    Gabriel looked at Seth mischievously and glanced toward a staircase leading up to a second floor. "Feel like doing a little snooping my friend? You heard what Evelyn said. 'Up the stairs and last door to the right,'" Gabriel repeated.
    Seth looked up from his porridge, "I thought you were a good saint who refused to steal or trespass." Seth smiled at him and pulled out some lock picks from his pocket, "Let's go."
    "Where did you get those? And why do you have them?" Gabriel exclaimed, shocked that his friend carried items that a thief would use.
    "Remember that weird foreigner that was obsessed with my aunt a few years back? He gave her flowers every day and told her grand stories of his adventures. I knew right away that his stories were anything but true so I told myself that if I wanted to protect my aunt, I had to do some digging," Seth paused and waited until Gabriel nodded for him to continue before he went on. "Well I pawned off some old stuff I didn't use anymore to get these lock picks from a traveling merchant. I broke into the guy's house and found a Wanted poster for his arrest in a drawer and turned him in. I got some pretty handsome money for it too. Ever since, I've kept these in case I would ever need to use them again." When he saw Gabriel giving him a blank look, he laughed, "Come on Gabriel, didn't you ever wonder why one day the guy was wooing my aunt and the next he was gone and never to be seen again?"
    Gabriel finally spoke up, "I guess I thought he had just lost interest in her. I can't believe you broke into his house and never told me!"
    "Maybe cause I knew that you would try to stop me if I did. You would have said 'Seth, you're being too paranoid. If you're aunt is happy, then leave her be.' And I would have had to fight you about it," Seth explained.
    "Well, what's done is done," Gabriel sighed. "Lets get upstairs before mystery man decides he's ready for a nap." After they finished their meals and drank every drop of wine they were given, they headed up the stairs and through a door to a long hallway. Gabriel led the way to the end of the hallway and gazed up at the last door on the right, "Alright Seth, get to work and make it quick. Getting caught is the last thing I wanna do."
    Several minutes went by while Seth kneeled to work at the lock. Finally, there was a soft clink as the lock gave way. Seth chuckled at his fine work and stood. "You first Gabriel," he said with a wide smile on his face, visibly overjoyed at having broken into someone's room.
    "Don't look too happy Seth. I'm only doing this once because I suspect that that Gregory guy is up to something suspicious," Gabriel informed him, turning the door knob and pushing the door open.
    At first glance, the place looked like any other ordinary room. There was a small cot in the corner with a nearby dresser and table. There were a few items of clothing sprawled out, but overall, the occupant of this room seemed fairly neat. A desk at the far end of the room was stacked with thick leather books and papers. One book was open, and getting a closer look, Gabriel saw the picture of a red-orange Griffin that took up an entire page. It looked just like the Griffin that he had seen on Gregory's scabbard.
    "Hey, look over here Gabriel! You've gotta see this," Seth exclaimed. Gabriel walked over to where Seth was standing and saw something just as magnificent as the scabbard. On the cot lay the most intricate bow and arrows he had ever seen. Gabriel had seldom used a bow, but he had read countless books, and in his studies, he had read and seen pictures of the different types of bows and their uses and how they were made. Looking at this recurve bow in front of him, he knew that it was more valuable and intricate than any he had ever seen in books. The entire bow was made of gold, even the bowstring. Delicate shapes and patterns were etched into it making it seem very delicate, and yet when he picked it up, it was as hard and sturdy as a rock. Next to it, lie a white leather quiver with gold studs around the mouth. It carried over a dozen arrows with gold shafts and golden feathers as fletching. Gabriel placed the bow back onto the bed as carefully as he could, trying not to disturb it as if it were alive yet slumbering.
    "Do you really think that bow is pure gold?" Seth wondered.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if it was," Gabriel said walking back to the door. "Come on. Let's get out of here before he comes back." Gabriel and Seth hurried out of the room and back down the stairs into the tavern. Looking over to where Gregory had sat, Gabriel noticed that he wasn't there anymore.
    "I wonder where he went," Seth asked, reading his mind.
    Gabriel shook his head, "Who knows where he could have gotten to. Well, I'm gonna head home and get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow."
    Seth patted Gabriel on the back. "See you later Gabriel. You'd better be prepared to lose tomorrow. I'm feeling lucky," Seth called as he walked in the direction of his home.
    Gabriel smiled and waved at Seth, "Maybe in your dreams you will Seth. You've been threatening to beat me for years and you still haven't even come close."
    "Ah, but perhaps I was losing on purpose to make a more dramatic victory," Seth laughed as he departed from view.
    As Gabriel trudged home along the dirt streets, he couldn't cease thinking about the mysterious man at the inn. Those weapons were unlike anything he had ever seen. Maybe, he thought, he is of royalty. But what would royalty be doing in Falconmar village. Falconmar was the kind of place that people stopped in on their way to someplace else. You didn't see many newcomers looking for a place to live here. Most travelers came and left as swiftly as possible, only stopping to restock on supplies and have a good meal and bath. He opened the door to his home and lit a lantern by his bed. Shadows danced around the room as he undressed and washed his face before crawling into bed. It felt great to lie down. He stretched his arms above his head and released a yawn.
    For hours, Gabriel lay in bed unable to sleep, the mystery man plaguing his thoughts. Questions rolled around in his head, refusing to let him rest peacefully. Evelyn had said that the man's name was Gregory Reinhardt and that he came from Farem. Gabriel had long dreamed of one day traveling north to Farem and far away from Caleren. Even farther to the north lay the snowy and mountainous land of Aldair. Never had he encountered someone from Aldair, and until today, Farem. After several hours, Gabriel realized that he had heard the name Gregory Reinhardt before. It was a name he had heard from his father before. He could not remember what his father had said about this man or even his relationship with him, but he figured that his father had either told him to stay away from Gregory, or to trust him. Which, he couldn't recall. All night, Gabriel contemplated questions for which he had no answers. Tomorrow, he resolved, he would have his questions answered no matter what it took.   











Chapter 2



    Gabriel awoke the following morning to a bright sliver of sunlight peeking through his window curtains. He imagined he only slept for a few hours, not being able to block his mind from the many thoughts had that invaded it. The everyday sounds of the village flooded through his window, reminding Gabriel that he had a match with Seth and he hoped he had not overslept. He walked over to a wash bin in a small room separate from the main room. After washing his face thoroughly, he looked at his reflection in the rippling water. He was rather handsome, possessing sandy brown hair and green eyes, a slight amount of stubble emerging on his face. He was tall, and his broad shoulders and bulging arms and legs displayed the results of his fierce training. He came across fairly mature considering he was not yet even an adult of eighteen. People respected him, even though it was probably only because of his father.
    When his father was in the King's army, he was a brave Knight Commander, one of the highest positions of command there was. He led a victorious assault on the distant kingdom of Gendalin ten years ago in the war and died honorably defending the King. It was known that he threw himself between the king and an incoming arrow saving the grateful king's life. Before he went off to war, he trained Gabriel in most of the skills real knights possessed. Gabriel had always been a quick learner so he picked up the skills quickly, and they remained with him yet.
    Walking over to a wooden dresser, Gabriel pulled out some clothing. He dressed himself in an olive leather vest over a white linen tunic, and black pants with a folded waistband and lace-up front. He buckled on his black belt that held his sword, and put on a pair of olive leather boots and black gloves. His father had been a very wealthy man, and left Gabriel with ample amount of money to afford fine clothing and equipment. Unfortunately, almost all of that money had been spent, and the few remaining coins he possessed, he kept in a safe place, keeping them only for the direst of situations. 
    Despite his fine house and lovely surroundings, Gabriel dreamed of one day exploring Aldaeric. He had heard many tales of distant lands and longed to experience them for himself. But Seth refused to leave his aunt behind and Gabriel refused to leave his friend behind. One day, he imagined he would leave his life behind and venture off to do greater things. Until then, he had to make due with what he had.
    Gabriel left his house and stretched in the cool morning air, letting the sun spread warmth throughout his body. He felt different today. When he lifted his arms, they felt strangely light and fluid. His body seemed very relaxed and strong, and he felt a strange sensation flowing through his body, filling him with energy. He looked out into the village and he could hear the sounds of chickens clucking and horses neighing. A cow mooed in the distance as Gabriel went to the well outside his house and drew some water, drinking heavily. As he strolled through the marketplace, he grabbed a pear and munched happily on it, his strides long and brisk. He didn't know what this new feeling was or why he felt it, but it felt good, and he wasn't going to complain.
    He was just walking along, headed to the dueling square, when out of the corner of his eye, he saw the man from the inn walk into a cottage only a few yards from where he stood. Gabriel knelt down and quietly crawled just below the window of the cottage and listened intently for voices.
    "I believe I've found the Talon boy," a man was saying. "He looks just like his father, he does. He's quite young though, not even yet a man. But then again, Jocelyn was fourteen when she awoke two years ago."
    "Griffin has awakened today Archer, you must make your move soon." This other man's voice shocked Gabriel. He sounded like an angel, his voice soft and light, like a gently flowing river. How did this man know his name? And what did he mean by awakened?
    "Indeed I will Malus," Gregory said. "I only hope that with his help, we can finally restore peace to Farem and prevent the evil from spreading into Aldair and Caleren. Drake must be stopped at all costs and Gabriel is our only hope."
    Gabriel had heard enough. He stood and walked on to find Seth and to tell him what he had heard. Most of it made no sense. Was Farem not in peace? Last he heard the King, Stephen Fredrick, was ill with the epidemic and Sir Drake Colburn, the Knight Commander of the King's army and duke of Farem was ruling fair and just in his stead. Why had Gregory said that Sir Drake must be stopped? And what did Gabriel have to do with any of it?
    As he approached the dueling square, he spotted Seth stretching in an alley nearby. Seth looked up and knew at once that there was something wrong with his friend.
    "What's wrong Gabriel? You look like you've seen a ghost," Seth noticed. For several minutes, Gabriel repeated to Seth everything he had heard between the two men Gregory and Malus. By the time he was finished, Seth looked the same way Gabriel had only moments before. "What do you think all that means?" Seth asked, "What evil is in Farem, and how can you possibly help?"
    "I know. I thought the same thing. Well," Gabriel said, "let's just forget about it for a bit. Come on, I need to stretch before we get to the square." Gabriel sat down and touched his toes several times, reaching further than he ever had before. He stood and punched at a flour sack leaning against a wall, his arms striking it faster than a viper lunging at a mouse. He performed several kicks directed at the sack until finally it burst open, sending flour flying over the alley.
    "Man Gabriel, you got some pent up anger or something? I've never seen you punch or kick like that before," Seth said in awe of his friend's strength.
    Gabriel looked at his hands as if they had six fingers. Seth was right, something was different, but he didn't know what or why. All he knew was that he felt good. Energy surged though his body and filled him with renewed strength, making him feel invincible.
    "I don't know what's going on with me," he said truthfully. "I've felt weird like this all morning."
    Seth shook his head, "Well whatever you do, take it easy on me alright? I would prefer to not feel the impact of your blade cutting through my skin if you don't mind."
    They walked over to the dueling square and Gabriel placed the empty coin sack on the ground as he stepped into the square. About fifteen people were already clustered around the square, waiting expectantly for the fighting to begin. Gabriel and Seth unsheathed their swords and stood with their weapons touched and crossing, making the shape of an X. Gabriel walked backwards and took up a middle stance, his blade held vertically in front of him at a 45-degree angle. His blade felt much lighter than usual, and when the fighting began, he moved with more grace and fluidness than he ever had before. Seth's blade shook every time Gabriel struck, occasionally causing sparks to appear and fly off in all directions. Gabriel was barely putting any effort into his strikes, but the effects were incredible. He performed a cross cut and knocked the sword clean out of Seth's hand. Seth cried out and cradled his hand as if it were sprained. The crowd went silent.
    "Seth!" Gabriel cried, running over to his friend. "I'm so sorry; I didn't mean to hit you that hard. Are you alright?"
    Seth leaned down and picked up his sword. "It's ok, I know you didn't mean to. I'm fine. Come on, you won't finish me that easily. The match only just started." Seth stood at the ready, sword in hand.
    Gabriel looked at Seth with concern. "Are you sure you want to keep going?
    "Look Gabriel, I'm fine; you just shocked me is all. Let's go," Seth reassured him, getting back into position.
    "Alright," Gabriel sighed. "But don't say I didn't warn ya," Gabriel got back into position and held his sword down low, worried that he would hurt his friend again. Seth made the first move, swinging the blade down on Gabriel's head, making him dodge out of the way. For several minutes their swords clashed, neither winning, neither losing, when suddenly, Gabriel spotted the hooded man, Gregory Reinhardt, watching him intently from the front row or onlookers. Gabriel was so focused on the man that he lost his focus on fighting and he didn't even notice as Seth attacked him from the side, his blade an inch away from slicing across his upper right arm and across his chest.
    Seth's eyes widened as he realized how close he was from mortally injuring his friend. "Gabriel, what's going on? You didn't even try to block me!" he exclaimed.
    Gabriel continued to stare at Reinhardt, oblivious to everything around him, until he turned on his heel and walked briskly away from the match.
    "Hey, Gabe, snap out of it," Seth said to him, putting a hand on is shoulder. "Everything ok?"
    "Yeah," Gabriel reassured him. "It was that Reinhardt guy again. He was staring at me." He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. "Let's wrap up the match so we don't disappoint our audience too much.'
    They returned to their positions and after a few clashes of their blades, Gabriel soon overtook Seth and swiftly put a halt to the battle. Despite the match's interruptions, the crowd cheered as always for the victor.
    "Gabriel!" they chanted.
    "Maybe next time Seth," said another.
    Just as before, Seth picked up the sack of money the audience had given them and winced as the pain in his hand returned.
    Gabriel, who noticed his discomfort, took his hand and inspected it. It was already swelling up and turning a deep purple. "You should get the doc to take a look at this," he recommended.
    "Forget about the doctor," Seth argued, "what I want to know is what is going on with you today."
    "I told you," Gabriel reminded him, "I don't know. It's just...I feel really weird...but a good kind of weird. It's probably just some stage I'm going through. Don't worry about it," he reassured Seth, but deep in the back of his mind, he was secretly bothered by his recent behavior.
    As he and Seth were heading towards the marketplace, a tall man in his early forties intercepted him and outstretched a hand in greeting. It took Gabriel a moment before he recognized the man, especially since he had only ever seen him with a hood obscuring his face.
    "Gregory Reinhardt," the man said in a low, rough voice.
    Gabriel shook his hand warily, suspicious of his every movement. "Gabriel Talon," he replied, trying to sound as friendly as possible.
    "That was a nice match up there. Very well put by both of you," he complemented, sending a nod in Seth's direction. "And you are...?"
    "Seth Wolfe," he responded, offering his had just as cautiously as Gabriel had done. The two quickly shook hands and Reinhardt turned his attention back to Gabriel.
    "Your technique could use some work though," he said bluntly. "And your overconfidence could very likely be your downfall."
    Gabriel, offended, realized that on one had ever criticized his fighting before, except of course his father. "Well, there aren't many opportunities here to perfect such skills," he said in defense. "There are no swordsmen here except for Seth and me, and the only trainer I ever had was my father who died several years ago."
    "Ah, your father," Reinhardt pondered. "I'm sure he taught you all the necessities of swordsmanship, but did he tell you to keep your eyes on both your sword and your opponent's? To never cross your feet or arms? To slide your feet instead of step in order to improve your balance? All are necessary, and if any one is forgotten, could mean an end to your very life."
    Beneath the surface, Gabriel was secretly fuming. No one had ever angered him so much before. Who was this man to criticize his swordsmanship?
    "Well sir, if you think you could do better, I would be honored if you joined me in the square," Gabriel seethed, trying to maintain his composure.
    "No, the honor would be mine," Reinhardt insisted. "I would love to give you a few pointers."











Chapter 3



    Gabriel drew his sword irritably reentered the square. The villagers, who had started to disperse, turned their heads in confusion when they saw him returning with a new competitor. They called to their friends to come back to the square so they wouldn't miss out on whatever was still yet to come.
    While Gabriel and Reinhardt took up positions in the square, Seth stood to the side and waited expectantly for the match to start. He was very skeptical about this man beating his friend. He actually felt sorry for him.
    Reinhardt reached for his sword and drew it from its scabbard, revealing a magnificent silver blade engraved with gold in a strange swirling pattern near the hilt. It was the most beautiful sword he had ever seen, and if he wasn't intimidated by the man, he was certainly intimidated by his weapon.
    The two opponents cautiously circled each other, trying to detect the others strengths and weaknesses.
    Despite how much Gabriel hated the idea of damaging such a precious weapon, he made the first move, jabbing at Reinhardt with his sword, only to have it swatted aside by Reinhardt's.
    For several minutes Reinhardt remained on the defensive, refusing to strike back, until finally he raised his mighty sword and aimed right for Gabriel's abdomen. Gabriel stepped backwards to have the sword soar just centimeters in front of him, right where he had been only moments before.
    Reinhardt was swinging his sword was so fast that Gabriel could barely see its deadly blade whistling through the air around him. He was beginning to think that perhaps he had underestimated the man. Their swords clashed and sparked, neither of them wining or losing. Even with Gabriel's newfound strength he could not surmount to Reinhardt's might.
    Reinhardt swept his sword at Gabriel's feet, and to the audiences amazement, Gabriel performed a flawless back-flip and evaded Reinhardt's attack. Seth gaped at his ability to perform such a stunt.
    A crooked smile faintly emerged on Reinhardt's face. "Good!" he remarked. "Now let's see what else you're made of."
    Their movements came harder and faster. Seth couldn't see the blades whizzing through the air, and he was struggling to even catch a glimpse of the fighters themselves. It was the most heated battle he had ever seen.
Gabriel was moving faster and fighting harder than he ever had before, and despite the beads of sweat forming on his brow, he was just getting started.
    Sparks flew around Gabriel and Reinhardt every time their swords clashed, sending the blistering embers showering down upon them. Seth noticed that several burns had scorched their clothing and in some places even their skin.
This battle is getting dangerous, Seth thought. The last thing he wanted was to have to carry his friend home.


© Copyright 2008 Harmonizer (singer2993 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426580-Griffin