*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1418034-Country-Music
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1418034
Rantings of a modern girl
What happens when you play a country record backwards? You get your wife back, your truck back, your dog back... It has always irritated me when people tell this joke. This may have been the case back in the day, you know, old school country. But today's songs are short love stories. Some are of lost loves, true. Some are about a platonic love for children, or a home town. There are countless songs about the unique and content love each singer claims to have found. They feel like a breath of fresh air. That is until the stench of reality hits. Now I love country music, which I guess is a pre-requisite to living in Nashville. So don't let this fool you.

There is no hunk around the corner dying to give you flowers and backrubs. No one to sweep you off your feet to some exotic island. Much like the joke that is a horrible representation of country music, country music is a horrible guideline for real life love. It is just another pitfall for those hopeless romantics. You know the ones, their favorite movie is the Notebook. They live each disappointing day in hopes that tomorrow they will find their prince and fall deeply and passionately in love. Be happy forever and of course rear beautiful offspring. These songs feed into the romantic culture that the perfect man will come along and fix everything.

I am here to tell you no one will fix everything. Even if that perfect man existed, yes for the time being I will let you continue with this belief, problems will still arise. I'm here not to make friends but to wake you up to the truth. I feel the urgency that our cultures women are falling for this incredible life and thus walking around with a tremendous amount of pressure. The pressure to be what they think is the best catch. The blondest, prettiest, smartest... whatever they preserve as perfect. In order to catch that one guy that will "fix" their desires and longings. Am I saying settle for whomever, hell no. Each of us deserves what we feel will make us happy. I'm simply here to say don't fall for country music or for that matter the Notebook.
© Copyright 2008 Dominique Gutierrez (dominiqueg617 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1418034-Country-Music