*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1396836-Money-Money-Money
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1396836
a girl who lost it all and got it back,..
It was one of the most beautiful days on the beach that Britney had seen in a long time. Most of this week it had been raining so she and her friends couldn’t go tanning, but the other girls thought it would be a good day to go tanning.
         Britney and her friends were the most popular girls in school, but Britney was always queen bee. The gang was known for always looking tanned, being dressed nicely, and always looking pretty. The gang was called the Fab Five. Everyone envied them, the all had cars, all were gorgeous and all had the best boy toys.
         Britney was the queen bee for a reason. She was lusted after by all the men and she was envied by all the girls who saw her. She had nice, long, silky blonde hair. She has the bluest eyes, like the prettiest sky you had ever seen. Brit had radiant skin, and was tall, but not too tall. Along with being tall she had long legs and had done some modeling in the past and was very elegant. More then that thought, she had a personality. Britney was sweet, kind and polite. She hardly cursed, never talked bad about her friends, and always used her manners.
         The gang she hung out with was slightly different though. The girls used their popularity in bad ways. They used girls for no reason and they used men like Kleenex to boost their popularity. The girls were arrogant, rude and obnoxious.
         At Richmond High, boyfriends were one of the coolest accessories, Brit would know, she had the hottest one. Jake Williams, star quarterback, and Britney’s boyfriend. It was almost certain that every girl envied her for being with Jake. He had short brown hair, green eyes, and a body like Usher. She and Jake had been dating for three years and they seemed inseparable.
“Mom, were home.” As Britney said as she walked into the house. She always screamed that when she came home with her friends. Strangely enough, there was no reply. Britney and her friends waited a little longer for her mom to scream down something like “Would you girls like something to eat?” but still nothing.
         Britney found it strange that her mom would go out and not tell her. “Stella, where is mi mama?  Stella was the Cuban housekeeper; she hardly spoke any English while Britney hardly spoke any Spanish. “La Señora, she went out.” Stella tried her best to speak English so Britney could understand. “Did she say where? Ohm… dondé?” Britney asked, slightly worried about the whereabouts of her mother. “She don’t say, just stormed out of here.” Stella blurted out once again trying her hardest to speak English.
         Britney tried to shrug it off, thinking her mom went out to run some errands or something. So she and the gang went up stairs for a few more hours.
         Later that evening Britney’s father called her and asked if her mother had returned home yet.
Britney’s father, Jason, was a hard working businessman and Britney hardly saw him, or spoke to him. Brit told him that she hadn’t heard from her all day, and how Stella said that she had stormed out of the house. Jason’s voice sounded worried as he cautiously told his daughter that they has a small dispute and that she had ran out of the house.
         As soon as Brit’s conversation with her father ended she called her mom. She was so relieved when she heard her mom’s voice on the other line and told her that she was at her best friend’s house having a drink and talking and that she would be home later.
         It was around 10 o’clock when her mom came home and Brits dog, Mango wouldn’t stop barking, so Brit went downstairs to check things out. She looked out a window and saw her mom’s range rover. Brit went into the kitchen to get a glass of water, waiting for her mom to get in.
         When her mother finally entered the door, Mango stopped barking. Barbara walked straight into the kitchen, and when Brit saw her she knew something was wrong. Even though Brit knew something was wrong, Barbara tried to dance around the issue.
“Mom, what’s up?” she asked her mom.
“Nothing, why?”
“You stormed out of here without even saying a word to Stella, you had an argument with dad, and didn’t called me or anything.” exclaimed Britney.
“What did your father tell you?” Barbara demanded to know.
“Nothing, Mom will you just tell me?” Britney forced the issue.
“Your father and I have been fighting a lot lately and…” as Barbara started saying just before Britney interrupted her.
“And what?” Britney said sounding a little irritated.
“And were going to get a divorce.” As Barbara continued.
“WHAT?!?” Britney screamed.
         Her mother had hardly any words left to explain, her eyes looked as if they were already all cried out. Britney just let the subject go; she didn’t want to make her mom feel any worse then she already did.
         Brit went upstairs and tried to sleep. About and hour later she still couldn’t sleep, she spent a whole hour trying to find pictures in her ceiling. She decided to call Jake; if she couldn’t talk to her mom about it she could at least talk to Jake. If there was anything Brit really loved about Jake was that she could talk to him about anything, and if he didn’t understand he’d listen.
Britney could hardly grasp the idea of her having to choose between her parents. Brit let Jake go to sleep since he had school the next day and she did too so they could talk in person.
Brit was often called “Butterfly”, because she was always happy and jumpy, so when she wasn’t acting like herself everyone knew there was something wrong.
         Whenever Britney had a problem she and her friends went to the mall. The concept that money can’t buy you happiness was overridden by Britney’s philosophy “Whoever said money can’t buy you happiness has never been to the Richmond mall.”
         When Britney’s first dog died Tequila had die, she went to the mall and she got over her grief with two new Guess bags and a pair of brand new shiny heels. This time when Brit went to the mall, she bought a lot more then expected but still felt an empty feeling inside. She pondered why she still had an empty feeling inside her even though she had just bought a lot more then expected and had fun doing it. But as she looked at all of it, instead of smiling at her amazing taste in fashion, she could only stare blankly.
         The weekend was coming up, the weekend that the gang was looking forward to since awhile back. Brit couldn’t have been excited to get out of the house and not have anything on her mind for a few days. Brit thought that time out of the house would give her parents a little time to relax, and then when she came home everything would be resolved.
         She, Jake, and the rest of the gang headed down to Ponte Vedra. Monica had her weekend house in P.V. so they were always there.
         As soon as they got to the house they all felt a slight relief. They split the group into two parts- Jake, Laura, and Jessica were in group one. Monica, Brit, and Kristen were in group two. Group one was in charge of cleaning the house while group two went out to get groceries.          
         Going to Monica’s beach house was what the gang loved to do, since it was on the beach and the girls loved tanning, hanging out with Mango, playing volleyball and playing football. And that is exactly what they did all weekend. Sunday night they had their traditional “Goodbye BBQ” then packed their bags and headed out early Monday morning.
         Monday morning was sad because they were leaving the beach but also happy that everyone would be returning to their regular lives.
“Brit, did you enjoy yourself?” Monica asked.
“Yes,” replied Britney “I had so much fun, thanks Moni”
         When Brit returned home she was confused about the topic that made the hair stand on the back of her neck.
“Mom, I’m back.” Brit yelled while walking in the house.
“Did you have fun sweetheart?” mom asked.
“We had so much fun,” Britney started to explain “we went kayaking, boating, then had the BBQ. It was just amazing.”
It was slightly quiet for just a little while. But Brit couldn’t keep quiet for too long,
“What’s up between you and dad?” Brit blurted out. She knew it wasn’t a very subtle way to say it, but she wasn’t going to avoid the subject any longer.
“We haven’t figured out any other way to settle this.” Barbara cried.
Brit’s face became long and sad. When Barb saw that she looked sad she immediately said “Let’s going shopping tomorrow.”
“I went shopping the other day, I actually found it quite boring” Britney exclaimed.
Barbara was completely stunned.
“What would you like to do then?” Barbara asked slightly confused on the kind of answer she’d get.
Britney sat there, thinking for awhile. She could have done whatever she wanted to do. But she didn’t have the desire for anything
         Awhile later it dawned on her, she could do whatever she wanted, and she had all the money. Whatever she could probably buy wouldn’t make her happy though.
         Britney told her parents how she felt. They pondered about it for awhile while Britney talked about it to Jake. An hour later her parents talked to her about it. They decided that knowing how much it bothered her they’d try to work things out and give it another shot at love.
         Britney realized that money couldn’t buy her happiness. She had the most amazing boyfriend; she couldn’t buy him. She was pretty without surgery; she couldn’t but that. She was smart and nice; money couldn’t buy that. Money couldn’t buy her happiness. Britney now knew that she could be as rich as Bill Gates, and she still wouldn’t be happy.
© Copyright 2008 mariosa (linal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1396836-Money-Money-Money