*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1334899-This-weeks-sports-story
Rated: · Column · Sports · #1334899
a review of the patriots game
PATRIOTS STUNNED BY MERE 21 POINT VICTORY

BOSTON—The Patriots organization is reeling this week following their narrow 48-27 victory over the upstart Cowboys, taking stock of their game-planning methods, philosophy, and indeed their entire season in the aftermath of a game in which they gained barely more than 450 total yards, came within minutes of failing to cover the spread, and fell just short of scoring twice as much as their opponent.

"I think it's too early to call the season a failure," said visibly shaken Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, who was called out by owner Robert Kraft Sunday night and officially placed on probation in light of the insufficiently dominant victory. "I wish to extend my deepest apologies to the Patriots fans and ask them to continue supporting the players and the team. All the blame for Sunday's victory has to lie with me."

Practices was subdued and intense this week as players struggled to adjust offensive and defensive schemes that were unable to put the Cowboys away until late in the third quarter, and produced only 28 first downs.

"I have to take my share of the blame," said quarterback Tom Brady, who has already drawn criticism for throwing only five touchdown passes against the Cowboys. "In the first quarter,  I missed Randy Moss in the end zone. Any other great quarterback makes that touchdown pass and we win by more than 30.  Not outstanding, but at least it would have given us some pride in the locker room. As it was, we couldn't look each other in the eye."

Although Belichick has refused to discuss personnel moves, Patriots insiders say that benching Brady for next week's game against 0-6 Miami was a definite possibility.  Receiver Wesley Welker , who only scored twice against the Cowboys and struggled to produce a 124-yard performance, will almost certainly lose his starting job.  Other receiver Donte Stallworth  managed only 136 yares on 7  catches and is generally acknowledged to be finished in the NFL.  And wideout Randy Moss, held to only 59 yards, is almost certain to be traded by next week.

"It was probably my worst game as a pro," said linebacker Junior Seau, who was almost invisible for the whole game, able to intercept only one pass after picking off two passes the week before.  "Not that I was alone out there. I hate to call out the other unit, but there were a couple of times when the offensive line almost gave up their sixth sack of the season."

"I've tried so hard to build a culture of winning here, and this is the kind of win we get," Belichick said at a post-game press conference Sunday night. "This team has so much wrong with it, it's hard to believe we've managed to only lose zero games."
© Copyright 2007 oldflorida22 (gatortown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1334899-This-weeks-sports-story