*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271784-The-Elvien
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Airen
Rated: 18+ · Draft · Fantasy · #1271784
Airen is the only one of his kind left in a world now becoming dominated by humans.
The gentle rain stopped while the two men walked along the rutted dirt road their horses reigns in hand to let the beasts rest, one tall and slender, with long gray hair that wafted behind him as he walked in long gliding strides. The other shorter, noticeably stockier with dark brown hair hanging to his cloak’s collar, taking two steps for every one of the taller man, his clothes were finely woven just as the first mans. “Master Airen, where is it we are headed?” “To Cairnandh, the village where Brauchan lives, I understand he has begun telling stories about my people that are full of man’s lies” yellow-green eyes flashed as Airen looked down at his traveling companion. “I thought we discussed this trip yesterday before we left home?” “Aye Master Airen, we did but my mind is not as good as it used to be, oh how I wish it was.” “We shall have to do something about that for you, Feirnac; I can’t have my faithful servant forgetting things that quickly.” “Yes Master Airen.”

         Feirnac looked up at the man he called master more as a friend than servant. He had been found, near dead from a highwayman’s attack three years past, nurtured back to health by this odd gentle man who had come to his aid, healed his broken bones and given him everything he had needed. His wife had been killed in that attack and for some reason Airen had apologized for not being able to save her, though she had been dead long before he came upon them. He had never asked why Airen had thought an apology would be needed in that case. Several days after he had regained consciousness, he had noticed that his savior had peculiar ears and eyes. He seemed to know what he was going to say before he even formed the words in his head and he also had noticed that even when every tree and plant should be brown in winters dormancy, everything around Airen’s home was green and growing as if it were spring. His broken bones healed in only a week and he had no scars from the cuts, it was as if he had never been attacked and robbed of everything he had ever had. He had asked to repay all the kindness his savior had given him and had received the reply that if he should choose, he could take the job of servant for as long as he wanted to remain. If he did not wish to stay that would be fine, he owed Airen nothing. Being used to the feudal system, he thought it very unusual that an obvious Lord would not require repayment for all that had been done for him. Eventually he had learned that Airen was indeed a Lord, but he was no ordinary man. He could make the moon and stars rush towards the earth only stopping when he told them to. He had seen his new master plant an acorn circle and the next morning the saplings were six feet tall, by evening they were the size of fifty year old trees. He had watched in awe as the elements answered his commands and even fire would start with nothing but a glance. He had also noticed those curious ears, no larger than his but with decided points at the top edge could hear far better than even a deer. Once Airen had told him to prepare some food and drink for their visitors, he did so but it was two hours before the carriage had arrived. Living so far away from anyone, he just could not get a grasp on how his new master had known they were coming. Airen had simply told him he had heard the carriage coming. It never occurred to Feirnac to ask how he had heard a carriage that was obviously so far away.

         “Is it much further Master?” he really had no idea just how far from home they had traveled, he looked up at the sun and reckoned it was about two hours past noon. “We will camp overnight and arrive in Cairnandh at noon tomorrow, we will mount our steeds in a little while to make some time, but we pushed them hard this morning and they need to rest still”. All Feirnac could think of to say was “Yes Master Airen”. The chestnut mare was just Feirnac’s size, she had taken to him the first time he approached to brush her down as his first chore for Airen as his man servant. A year later, Airen had given her to him as a Yule gift, Airen, he had found, followed the old ways, and that made him an outcast since the Christians had come to full power. He also had noticed that his master was always careful with his words when around them. Why he did not know since it was obvious that Airen was far more powerful than any priest could hope to be. Airen had cautioned him more than once about letting his mouth get them both into trouble with man, Airen usually referred to them as “the round ears” Feirnac always chuckled at that one, even though he was one of them. He sensed that Airen did not look at him as one of “the race of man”, or “humans” the other ways he referred to people unlike himself. Feirnac had discovered an important fact when that carriage had come to the house, that Airen was apparently not quite human, even though he looked much like them, save those pointy ears and fiery eyes of yellow-green. The two travelers in that carriage looked quite like his master and they had addressed him as Lord Airen. He himself had mimicked their address once, only once. Airen had looked him in the eyes and said, “Never, ever address me as anything other than Master Airen.” Feirnac had expected to be struck because of the way those eyes had glowed, so bright that he could not see the pupils, but the expected blow had never happened. Instead, he had been given new clothes of cloth as fine as his master wore and shoes that fit perfectly. That was just before they had started this journey to Cairnandh. He always wondered why his master insisted on calling people, places, animals and things by names he mostly did not understand. Like his own name, Frank, which Airen had simply changed to Feirnac. Airen had explained that his new names meaning was “found in the ferns” because that was where Airen had found his broken body with his dead wife beside him.

         Airen stopped walking and turned to his horse, looking it in the eye he nodded and moved to climb into the lightweight saddle. “Mount up Feirnac the horses are well rested now, we have five more miles to the grove where we will camp for the night.” Feirnac swiftly settled into his saddle and took up the split reigns in the right hand as Airen had taught him. The pair of horses started into a gentle gait. they knew when the riders were ready,  soon they were into a gallop, enjoying running with their riders. Soon the horses were turning off the road, they knew exactly where they were going. Feirnac, held on to his horse’s mane at the head of the saddle for balance. He was amazed at how Airen seemed to move in perfect harmony with his horse. The large silver and black spotted stallion appeared to be a part of him, Airen never out of balance with the horse, not even as hooves dug into the soft turf at the horse suddenly stopped at the east facing entry to a large circle of huge oak trees. Feirnac fell to the ground from his mare’s equally sudden stop, landing on his back with a thud even as Airen’s feet lightly touched the soft grass, barely causing the blades to bend. “Umm, Master Airen, where is the tent and gear for our camp?” Feirnac was looking at the horse's saddles for parcels but could see none tied to either horse. Airen did not answer his question straight away, instead he walked to the northern tree trunk and stroked down the bark with his finger tips. The tree groaned like a tired old man would when trying to stand after a long sit. Then the bark appeared to split open and a shining light, yellowish in color, seemed to come from the wood of the tree as Airen stepped forward and disappeared. The tree’s bark now open and shaped like a door way as Airen’s face peered out, Feirnac heard his master say,” come on, do not dally around like a school child least the door close and leave you out in the cold.” Feirnac walked up to the tree trunk where the light glowed brightly now, suddenly a hand reached out of the tree trunk, grabbing his hand and pulling him in. The tree groaned again as the opening in the bark closed, the horses stepped into the circle while a thick mist started to rise from the surrounding grass. Soon the rest of the forest around the circle was gone,hidden by the mist. The horses started grazing on the tender grass within the protection of the tree circle. A muffled scream came from the tree Airen had entered and pulled Feirnac into.

         “What in the goddess are you screaming about Feirnac? We are well protected here by brother oaks, no harm can come to you.” Airen was busy fluffing something that looked like a pillow; the interior was bright with the yellowish light. Two beds were sticking out of the hollow interior of the old tree. “Master Airen we are inside a tree!” Airen looked rather puzzled at Feirnac as he thought about what his servant was so afraid of. “Yes we are inside the north tree of this circle of knowledge my friend and servant, is that a problem?” “Master there is no door way to get out!” Feirnac was shaking with terror of being in the unknown. Airen looked at him for a moment more then sat down on the lower bed and nodded. “There are things in the world that have been lost to man. Things that seem surreal or impossible actually are not so Feirnac; your master is one who knows these things that man has forgotten exist much less, how to use those they might be capable of mastering. As long as you serve me, no harm will come to you by man or my world. These things I promise you.” Feirnac started to settle down, his fear and shock subsiding as he listened to his master and friend. “Master Airen, I know you are not like me, not like any people I know, may I be so bold as to ask what manner of man you are?” Airen looked into his eyes, the yellow-green eyes flickered a bit and Feirnac feared he had angered his master. Airen took in a great breath of air and exhaled.  “If I tell you what race I am, you will have to always keep that knowledge secret from all people, for if man finds out you know me, they will kill you for that knowledge. For I am not of man and for that reason, they fear me. Because they are men, they kill and destroy that which they do not understand and so fear. Do you understand this?” Airen looked into Feirnac’s eyes his own piercing deep into the soul of his servant. “Yes my master, I do understand that you are very different. I also understand that you can do things no other I have ever met could ever hope to do, not even the pope himself could do any of the things I have already seen you do. I will never tell anyone who or what you are, this I promise you.” Airen’s lips curled up into a small smile, he motioned and the shape of a chair formed underneath Feirnac, “sit my friend and we shall talk of things unmentionable out side of the protection of this, the realm of the Elvien.”

         “Elvien, you are one of the Elvien Master Airen?” Feirnac said the word with a caution in his voice and his hands shook visibly. “The priests say all the Elvien are dead or have left earth master.” Airen’s eyes flashed brightly, Feirnac could not see any hint of his eyes, just the bright yellow-green glow where eyes should be. Feirnac went to his knees and bowed before Airen, he was shaking all over and his skin had turned ashen at the sight of Airen’s eyes. “Forgive me Master please forgive me for angering you I did not mean to do so.” Airen stood up and moved to his servant, “rise and sit down Frank,” it was the first time in three years he had even indicated he knew that name was his. Airen sat back down on the bed. “Do you know why Christians would speak such about the race that taught man most of what he knows about this world? Do you know why men who preach peace and forgiveness would speak of killing an entire race? Perhaps most importantly, do you believe what they say about the Elvien Feirnac?” Airen leaned back upon the bed; “man has proven to me time and time again that they are incapable of actually learning much of anything. The repeat the same mistakes time and again. Yet they think they are the masters of this world and that it is here for their taking. A concept so arrogant it could only have come from the brain of man, if they actually have a brain in that hollow space between their ears certainly it doesn’t work very well at all.” Airen’s eyes suddenly stopped glowing and Feirnac looked up to see his eyes as normal as they ever could be. “Master, the priests say your people are from the devil, demons here to eat our souls and take us down to the pit of Satan.” Airen sat upright on the bed. “Frank, do you know why I call you Feirnac? Have you ever been mistreated by me? Do you really think I am the devil incarnate?” Airen started laughing; he laughed so hard his whole body shook. “Me, Airen son of Arinnor High king of the Elvien, the first being brought to this realm by the goddess to be watcher for her husband the god. To keep watch over his children, help them learn the ways of nurturing this world, Animals, plants, earth and water, sky, everything of beauty that makes up this earth. Me, the devil incarnate, most certainly not!” Airen stopped his laughter and composed himself. “Now my friend and servant, you who are man, tell me the answers to my questions if you please.” Airen’s expression showed he was no longer angry. He was interested and wanting to know what was being taught to men by the Christians.

         Feirnac sat up straight in the chair and looked at Airen, he swallowed hard having never seen such anger from this man who had showed him so much kindness and had taken care of him for so long. “Master Airen you call me Feirnac because you found me, broken and near death in a patch of ferns.” Airen smiled and nodded at the concise answer. “If you prefer your name to the Elvien one I gave you, I will call you by that name” Feirnac nearly fainted, “no master I like the name you have chosen for me, it sounds much nicer. I do not know why the Christians hate you so master, if only they would get to know you, they would realize you are gentle and kind to every creature. I think the priests are against anyone or thing that might challenge their beliefs and so take their power over the masses from them.” Feirnac swallowed again before continuing his answers. “I no longer believe what the Christians say about the Elvien master, I have experienced your kindness and care. I know that you are not evil as they say you are.” Airen smiled broadly, “I see your memory is not as short as you earlier believed it to be my friend Feirnac.” Now let us eat and I will tell you about my people. Perhaps we will even delve into the relations between Man and Elvien. Airen moved his hand over the floor of the room inside the tree and a table slowly appeared. Foods of all kinds were on the table as it solidified between them, a bottle of wine and two goblets also formed on the table and they ate and drank till appetites were sated.

         Airen sat cross legged on the lower bed and sipped from his half full goblet while Feirnac grabbed the wine bottle and refilled his own. Airen let out a sigh of satisfaction then chuckled as a long belch escaped his servant’s lips. “I am glad you enjoyed the food my friend.” His smile eased Feirnac’s embarrassment of the loud burp that had escaped him; he had never in all the time spent with his master heard Airen done such a thing. “I beg your pardon master that was rather rude of me.” Airen again chuckled then set his goblet down apparently on a stand that Feirnac could not see. “No need for apologies, it is just a sign that you swallowed to much air by eating to fast, in certain parts of the world it is considered impolite to not belch after a meal. You are a bit perplexing to me at times my friend, what with your concerns about such silly things. However, you need not worry about offending me with such normal functions of the body. Now it is time for you to know about who and what I, the being you have called master for these last three years, am.” Feirnac looked up into Airen’s eyes, searching there for what he had no idea. “Master”, he spoke in a tentative tone, I have heard it said that the Elvien are sorcerers and was wondering”, his voice trailed off as he began to fear what Airen might do to him. “Elvien are no more sorcerers than you are my friend Feirnac. We are a part of nature, we do have command over nature but only so long as it benefits both ourselves and that part of nature we instruct. Take this tree for an example. It was in the Elvien year 10523 that my father and I planted these trees. This one I chose to become hollow yet it is still a very strong tree and normal looking on the outside, here inside, it is a part of the Elvien realm so that we may benefit by having a safe haven to hide from the dangers of the outside yet remain comfortable. While we are here inside, it provides us with nourishment and a place to sleep with out fear. When we leave it tomorrow, it will be a solid, stoic oak tree again until such time one of us has need of its shelter again.” “Master Airen if this ring was planted when you say, I mean this is the year of our lord 1084 AD, you have been alive for at almost two thousand years.” Airen chuckled again, dear Feirnac I was fully grown when this circle was planted. We Elvien do not age the way man ages, for us time is marked in what you call centuries. From the day, you were born in 1057 AD till now I have not aged one half hour. We can die and do but our time here is measured the way the Christian god’s time is measured, in eons. How old do I look to you my friend?” Feirnac looked at Airen, he studied the features of his face and saw the face of a teenager, he studied his master some more, only the color of his hair was out of place for one who looked so youthful. “Master I think you look 19 years of age, except for your gray hair.” The corners of Airen’s lips curled into a slight smile, “I was born of my mother in your year 5195 BC Feirnac. Airen started laughing loudly, “I am as your people like to say, older than dirt.” Airen seemed to like his little joke as he laughed so hard he began to shake then suddenly bent over holding his sides as he fell to the floor with a soft thud, rolling back and forth with his laughter. Feirnac could not help but laugh with him; it was strange to be in the presence of some one who had been alive longer than his whole country and make light of it. How amazing it must be to have seen and lived through all the things he must have been witness to. Airen finished his laughing fit and stood, composing himself as he sat back down. His eyes were sparkling like stars on a black night as his lips formed a gentle smile. “The whole world is so full of life and wondrous things don’t you think? New life forever springs from the ground, even where fire has burnt it sterile. One can look close and find that life has returned to where life was snuffed out. That is the majick of nature and the goddess.

         “Elvien follow the ways of old and because we choose to honor our ways and not change our beliefs to the new Christian ways. We have become the subjects of persecution. Christian leaders seem to not realize or just accept that we both follow the teachings of the same entity even though they preach the holy trinity, thereby admitting that there is a connection of multi-levels of the entity. They say; father, son and holy-ghost when talking of the god. We say mother, father and son when we talk of the same entity. I find it curious that the Christians, do not have the open mindedness to understand the lessans their Jesus taught. They are, by the nature of the actions they do, and of the beliefs they profess to live by, hypocrites and oafs. The son tried to teach them to take care of each other, to take care of the animals and everything else of this realm. The fools took his lessans and by virtue of their greed turned the meanings to serve their self interests, they should be pitied it seems to me.” Feirnac had been watching Airen’s face as he was speaking; he saw the great sadness of a man who truly understood the place man was to take in this world. He saw a man that had understanding of what was important to life and he felt shame for what man had and continued to do to people so kind and gentle. Then Feirnac realized the most important thing of the conversation, he was not looking at a man, he was looking at an Elvien a being that had been present at the beginning of man’s coming. “Master Airen do you think man could change? Do you think man would ever change?”  Airen reached out to his goblet and sipped the wine. He looked into the dark red liquid before setting the vessel down and speaking again. “I see man always stumbling from a lack of desire to let go of his greed. I see man always only seeking to fill his own desires and thus never receiving the true rewards that would be given. I fear for mother earth Feirnac, for I see man destroying that which supports his very life, his very being is dependant on that which he will destroy in pursuit of his greed. But I have digressed from the point of this conversation which was to tell you of my people. Airen looked into Feirnac’s eyes, there are few of us left that will travel in the realm of man, most have left this plane in preference to the alternate realm of the goddess there they are loved and nurtured. My place is, as always, here in the realm of earth. My mate went with the others to the safety of our home realm; it was no longer safe for her or our children here so I had to insist for she would otherwise not have left my side.” Feirnac looked startled “you sent your wife and children away from you? Master Airen it must be hard to live here and not have your family with you.” Airen looked at his friend and servant “better they are safe and away from man for now Feirnac, I would not be merciful to man if any harm should come to my family by the fears of man. I have my place but that doesn’t mean that I would make my mate and children suffer or live in fear because of what the goddess has charged me to do, that would make me more like man than I care to be.” Feirnac wiped his eyes with his palms for he suddenly felt a great sadness for his master. “Master will you ever get to be with your family again, I mean as you were before you had to send them away?”  “Elisia, our children and I will be reunited one day, I am certain of that Feirnac for I have seen it.” Feirnac gave Airen a puzzled look, “you have seen it master Airen?” Airen’s eyes seemed to twinkle just for a moment “Elvien have gifts from the goddess Feirnac, so that we can carry out the desires of the goddess. We can see things no others can see, we know things that will happen.” Airen picked up his goblet once again and peered into the liquid, “when we arrive at our destination tomorrow we will find the one we seek sitting on a stone bench with many children gathered around him to hear his stories. He will be dressed in a green shirt and dirty tan trousers, his boots will be caked with gray clay.” Airen looked up at Feirnac “you will feel a fear grip you as no other fear ever has, but don’t worry all will be fine.”  Feirnac frowned, “the wine told you this?” Airen chuckled softly, “no the wine did not tell me, I use it as a mirror, and in the reflections of the wine I can see these things happen before their time has arrived.” Airen looked once more into the cup he held and suddenly his face lit up like the sun. He remained silent as he peered into the wine, softly he whispered, “soon as it is safe my heart we shall again be in each others arms. Ban’non my son I am so proud of you and your sister Riecahn. I shall visit soon and we can take time together until I must return here.” Airen sat the goblet down as Feirnac watched in wonder at this moment of revelation from his master and then he saw it, a single tear fell from Airen’s eye. Feirnac had never in all his days with his master, seen him cry. Airen looked up once more at his friend. “We should take our rest now, it is late and the full moon is rising. I’ll take the top bed.”

         Feirnac suddenly thought of an important feature he had not noticed, “Master where is the toilet incase I should need it in the night?” Feirnac had become accustomed to the creature comforts of Airen’s house, running water and toilets inside the warmth of the house were foreign things in man’s homes.  Airen pointed at the space behind the seat Feirnac had been sitting in, “right there, when you approach, the door will make its self known to you, any other questions?” “No master Airen.” “If you should awaken in the night just think of what it is you are needing and the tree will show you where it is located, now good night Feirnac and sweet dreams on your pillow.” Airen settled into the top bed and closed his eyes. Airen was asleep long before Feirnac could lay his head down on the surprisingly soft pillow. He lay there for a while thinking of the things Airen had told him, it was the first time he had learned anything about his master. His eye lids slowly closed, they felt heavy as lead suddenly and he fell asleep soon he began to dream.

         Feirnac found himself standing in the soft glow of white light, surrounding him completely; he could see nothing other than the light. He thought it very strange, even that he might have some how died in his sleep until he heard a voice not so different from that of his master Airen. “Humans were even taught the basics of the circle of life by the son, yet just as all of the god’s chosen children have always done, none actually learned the lessan that was taught. It will become man’s doom, that he turns a deaf ear to things so important yet not of direct benefit to his pocket of coins. The old religion taught man that they are the caretakers of this realm, that it is they upon whom the goddess and god depend on to keep the world healthy. Yet how many Christians do you know that offer food to the hungry of their own kind when it serves only to feed those that are hungry? How many do you know that would take their coat off to keep the less fortunate warm? How hard is it to keep the land green instead of letting the grass get trampled until only the mud-hole remains? These are the lessans we Elvien taught man, they are the lessans we ourselves live by. Man only cares of lining his pockets with what he deems precious to himself. Christians, I have heard speak with great reverence of peace and all are brothers, yet they instantly turn to war and killing when what they hold dear inside their hearts is perceived as threatened. They fight because of greed as soon as the relative passes to the next realm, not bothering to truly grieve the loss of one they should have loved as much as life. From my Elvien point of view, man is worthless to the earth from whence he came. That is the great tragedy of man dear Feirnac, for man can only love the basest of things and he covets what ever he is destined to not have for himself. Perhaps the son was a fool to believe that his dying would cover all the sins of mankind, for they invent new ones as often as the sun rises in the east.” Feirnac started awake sitting up in his bed and looking around but there was no light. He held his hand out before him and found the dark so penetrating that he could not even see his hand. He remembered that he was inside a tree and that Airen had told him he only had to think of what he needed, and what he needed right now was a candle. Suddenly a soft yellow glow appeared and he turned his head, there stood a candle glowing softly beside the bed. Feirnac picked up the holder and slowly moved the candle around him. He saw nothing and no one; he stood up and raised the candle to find Airen in the upper bed, sound asleep. He sat back down and placed the candle back where he had picked it up from. Laid back down troubled until he decided he had been dreaming. Slowly he slipped back into sleep. “Feirnac” the same voice spoke as his dream came back to him. “Feirnac it seems my son has chosen to take a human for friend and servant; you seem like a nice enough man. I wonder though are you loyal to your master or will you betray him first chance you get? We shall see tomorrow for you will at last be back among your own kind.” The voice had begun to fade as it spoke the last sentence. Feirnac turned in his sleep muttering that he would never betray his master who had saved him from a certain and painful death. Later that night he awoke with a need and reached for the candle to light his way to the toilet. As he rose from the lower bed he peeked at where Airen slept, he found the upper bed empty and suddenly felt like he was stuck in the tree with no idea of how to get out. As he walked to the toilet door area of the tree it struck him curious that he was not fearful about Airen being gone, there were still many things he didn’t know much about what his master was capable of doing. After all he thought, if his master could make a tree grow this way surely he could leave and be back before morning with plenty of time to eat a nice breakfast before they left for Cairnandh. Then he remembered the whispered words of his master as he looked into that goblet of wine and he smiled, he suddenly knew exactly where Airen had gone in the night. He began whistling a tune he had heard Airen whistle many times as he reached out and a door appeared and opened for him, the toilet had appeared just as his master had implied it would and he felt safe again as he entered to take care of his now pressing need.

         The Candle’s light dimly lit the main room as Feirnac came out to head back to bed. He could barely see the beds but he could see enough to tell there was still no sign of Airen there. He turned to close the door behind him but it had already disappeared, turning back, he gasped backed into the wall behind him and dropped the candle holder as he found Airen standing where he was about to step. “I apologize for startling you Feirnac,” Airen said as he bent and lifted the candle and holder from the floor and set it upon the table. Feirnac stood with his mouth open but no words would come for him. Airen chuckled as he sat on the edge of the low bed “did you find the accommodations acceptable my friend?” “Yes master, exactly like at home” he was nodding as he finally gathered himself and sat in the chair. “Where did you go master? I awoke and found you not in bed and was worried for a bit before I realized you would surely return before it was time for us to continue our journey.” “I am sorry my friend but you were sleeping so peacefully I didn’t want to wake you when I left to visit my family for a few days.” “A few days? You have only been gone a few hours at most master.” Airen smiled, “ah yes here it was only a few hours, I am sorry that I have not explained more to you already. It is possible to leave a place in this realm, travel and spend time in another realm then return at near the time you left this realm.” Feirnac could not get his mind around this concept quickly so instead of asking more about it, he turned to Airen’s visit with his family. “Your visit was good I hope master Airen.” “Yes indeed it was, I played with my children took them fishing, riding, flew kites and managed to spend quality, alone time with Elisia, we talked of many things including when it might be safe for them to return to this realm, a very good time Feirnac. Are you sleepy?” Airen had noticed that Feirnac’s eye lids were starting to droop as if he would fall asleep in the chair. “Yes master I awoke from the strangest dream, I heard a voice talking to me that sounded a lot like you but he said you were his son.” Airen gave Feirnac a puzzled look, “you heard my father Arinnor? That is curious since he was killed more than two hundred years ago. Tell me please, what did he say to you? What did he speak of?” Feirnac saw the flickering in Airen’s eyes but he recognized this was more an indication of wonder rather than anger. He answered with what he remembered of the dream. “He said that he hoped you had chosen wisely and that if you had I would not betray you when among my people tomorrow. I promise on my life that I would never do anything that would endanger your life. Master I thought Elvien were immortal.” Airen sighed as he looked down at the floor, “we Elvien are very long lived which would explain how man would decide we are immortal but the truth is we can be killed. We are no more immortal than man.” Airen stood up and seemed to fly into the upper bed. As he settled in and fluffed his pillow, he turned to Feirnac, “Come let us get what sleep we can then we will breakfast and get ourselves to Cairnandh.” Feirnac did not answer, he just rose and lay down on his bed, settled in and soon was fast asleep again. Airen whispered a short prayer to the ceiling and drifted into slumber as well.

         Feirnac smelled bacon and flat cakes. He could hear the sizzling sound of eggs dropping into a skillet. He opened his eyes, not sure, if he was dreaming. “Good morning my friend” Airen was placing two platters on the table, Feirnac looked around for a kitchen but didn’t see one, he had been certain of the smells and sounds he had awakened to until his eyes showed him there was no place they could have come from. “Come let us eat and drink, we have bacon, eggs, hotcakes and syrup and fresh milk to drink.” Feirnac rubbed his eyes and looked around again. “Master, where did you cook all this food? Where did you get fresh milk from?” “Oh, this” Airen waved a hand over the food as if to present it. Why the sprites that take care of this henge made all this for us and brought the milk as well. That is alright with your sensibilities is it not?” Feirnac knew about sprites, at least he knew the stories the elders had told him as a child, but those had all been about how mischievous the creatures were. Some how it seemed natural to his master and he decided to not ask any questions for now. Airen was in very bright spirits as he sat and poured a glass goblet full of milk for himself then filled his plate with 4 strips of bacon and three hot cakes before pouring syrup over the cakes. Feirnac decided on five strips of bacon, two hot cakes and three eggs then he poured syrup over the whole plate and began to eat. Airen finished his food and was drinking his milk as the dishes in front of him disappeared; Feirnac used the finger bowl several times from his rush to get the food into his belly, he did not want to be the reason they got a late start on their journey. Airen sat his goblet down, stood and stretched, “we will leave in a little while. I have something to do first.” He walked towards the wall where they had entered the night before and passed through the wall, at least that was how it seemed to Feirnac as he reached for a second helping of bacon and eggs. While he ate, it occurred to him that he was indeed a very fortunate man being given great privilege for one of low birth especially to be so trusted and cared for by his master. He wiped his mouth after finishing his second helping with the napkin and let out a loud, satisfying belch. Giggles suddenly surrounded him as his plate, silverware and empty goblet disappeared apparently into thin air. He slouched in his chair and spoke to the tree, “Thank you very much for such a wonderful breakfast.” More Giggles came from the air and a soft “your very welcome friend of Airen” was whispered in his ear.

         Airen stepped onto the green grass outside the tree, held his arms out with his palms facing down then turned his palms up and the mists that surrounded the henge of trees parted at the eastern entrance of the circle. A man and woman were standing just outside the mists and as it parted, they cautiously peered in, Airen motioned for them to enter the circle. He waited patiently as they slowly made their way towards the northern tree where he stood. “You are the Druidh of the henge?” the man asked in a low voice as if unwanted others might hear his question. Airen suppressed a chuckle at the question and answered, “I have been called that before the coming of the Christians. What is it you seek here in a place of such ill favor with the priests?” The man turned his head to look into the woman’s eyes. “We come to ask to be married in the old ways; we are not of the new religion but follow the ways of old.” Airen was shocked yet pleased to find that the old ways had not yet died all together...”You are certain you wish to be hand fasted according to the rite of the goddess?” They both kneeled at the same time before Airen and looked up into his eyes, their own eyes told him they indeed wished to be hand fasted. “Aye“, they answered him as one voice. “Then stand before this ancient and holy oak and give me the ceangailteach ceirt, the binding cloth you have made” Airen said as he extended his right hand to accept the binding cloth from the woman’s hand as she held it out to him. Just then, Feirnac appeared from the tree, his jaw dropped and he leaned back against the trunk feeling faint. Airen spoke with out looking, for the expression on the couples face told him everything. “Feirnac come and be witness for these people if you can close your mouth.” He smiled at the couple as their mouths gaped in shock. “Do not be alarmed, it’s just my servant, he was keeping watch behind the tree’s trunk. The mists can trick the eyes.” He winked to the couple to reassure them that there was no need for alarm. The couple nodded without speaking and knelt before Airen, the man on the left, the woman on the right. With his right arm and her left arm outstretched, their hands clasped, fingers intertwined. Airen straightened out the strip of cloth, the embroidery upon it was exquisitely done. The winding green vine had been sprinkled with little flowers all along the length of linen. The edges were bound in a very pretty shade of blue. He held the cloth out under the couples outstretched hands and positioned the center of the cloth so it was between their hands. He then lifted up the ends of the cloth and wrapped the eastern facing end over their wrists to the west; the western facing end went over their wrists to the east. He then brought each end around and back so the man held one end in his fingers and the woman held the other in hers. Airen smiled again as he completed binding them together and spoke to the goddess. “Mother goddess smile upon this couple bound before you this day. Be the guide for their lives together and protect them always as they are now bound by you and to you for the rest of their lives, beyond death and the end of time. Now you will speak your vows to each other. Airen listened as the young man spoke first. “I promise to always take care of you, to love you and cherish you no matter what may befall us. I adore you and wish to remain bound to you forever.” The young woman smiled then spoke. “I promise to take care of you always, to honor you in all things I do to love you, bear your children and always remain by your side no matter what may befall us I will stand by your side.” Airen nodded at the truth of their words then spoke again. “I Airen bear witness to their desire to be wed and perform this binding at their request before the goddess.” Airen turned and grabbed Feirnac, dragging him forward to stand beside his master. “Mother goddess this poor soul is Feirnac and he bears witness to this binding as well. As the goddess dictates this ceremony, so mote it be before her. Airen then smiled again as he patted Feirnac on his back then raised his hands high and clapped his palms together. A crack of thunder shook every tree in the henge and a yellow-green glow surrounded the now married couple. “Congratulations and Blessed Be ye both.” Airen bowed to the new mates then reached out and in reverse order, he removed the linen cloth that bound the pair together, neatly folded the strip and held it out for the man to take. By giving this symbol of your love to your new wife, you are both bound by the goddess to the earth and to her service as has been done from the beginning and will be done to the end. As Airen finished the ritual the horses, which had been standing at the south tree whinnied as if adding their approval to the mating of the couple. Airen smiled at the horses then he spoke to the newly weds. “Now go and live your lives as servants to the goddess. Be careful of what you say as you live among those who have lost the old ways for they will be against you always and will do harm to you for what you have professed and consecrated here in this henge of the goddess. I wish you all good things of this realm, prosperity, health and the blessing of children. Go now and remember the words and your oaths, blessed be.” The couple thanked him again and turned, fairly skipping as they left the way they had entered.

         Airen and Feirnac watched as they passed through the trees at the entrance. Feirnac wiped his eyes as he felt the joy he had experienced when he and his now passed mate had gotten married by the priest in his village, he suddenly felt very alone and it hurt his heart deeply. Airen, being very polite, did not look at his friend as the moment overcame him. Instead, he spoke towards the horses. “We all have a path to take on the way to the next realm you know. The events that befall us sometimes seem very unfair and harsh but eventually, if we look properly at what has past, we find that these events have truly shaped what we have become. Sometimes these are good things, sometimes they are not. It all depends on what we do with our time left here. Grief is not always a bad thing, even though it surely seems so while we go through it. Given enough time the pains become smaller even though they may never completely go away, we become stronger because of the process. The only time it is tragedy is when we fail to move past the deep grief and let it consume our souls.” Airen turned to Feirnac, who had wiped away his tears and composed himself while Airen had been speaking towards the horses. “I for instance, was very alone in this realm until the day I happened upon a grievous event and found you my friend. While your mate was beyond my powers of healing, you were not and now I have a friend who keeps me company until such time you decide to move on down your path, which may or may not be at my side.” Feirnac looked at Airen and only nodded he feared he would burst into tears again. “There is no shame in shedding tears for those we love with all our hearts, a great hurt is eased by shedding the tears of sorrow dear Feirnac.” Airen then placed his right arm around Feirnac “all will get better for that is the way of things when we keep our minds focused on the proper things my friend. Now it is time for us to leave this place and continue our journey to Cairnandh.” The horses walked up to them and the saddles appeared back in place and cinched in place. Airen said, “show your selves that we may thank you properly and bid you farewell for now.” Four little forms shimmered and became solid, standing two on each saddle, they were fair skinned, as was Airen, two male and two female. “These Feirnac are the sprites whose home we have shared since we arrived. As you can see, they aren’t mean nor are they evil as man has pronounced them.” Airen bowed to the extremely small beings. “Thank you very much for your hospitality, the breakfast was truly magnificent.” Feirnac stared at the little beings, amazed that they looked just like his master except for their size. “I also thank you very much for all you have given us and done for us last night.” The men bowed as the women curtsied and responded, “fare the well friend of Airen.” They then faced Airen and repeated their bows and curtsies only much deeper, “thank you Lord for allowing us to serve you in your need.” Airen smiled and held out his right hand, palm open, four acorns lay there and the sprites took them up, one each and faded from sight. “What will they do with the acorns master?” “Why they will plant them and nurture them, help them grow into mighty oak trees and good homes for themselves Feirnac.” “Oh, well then that was a fine gift to them wasn’t it master.” Feirnac smiled as he though he was beginning to understand the world of his master. Airen rose into the saddle of his silvery steed before Feirnac and waited for his man friend to settle into the saddle of his mare. “Now on to our destination, no need to gallop the horses, we may have need of them being fresh later”

         
© Copyright 2007 Airen (airen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271784-The-Elvien