*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1261524-The-Bravest-Boy-I-Know-My-Son
by Danen
Rated: · Other · Family · #1261524
This is how my son inspires me to keep going and how to show how wonderful he is.

It seems like so long ago, yet like yesterday when I met him. The amazing boy who would become my son. It was a warm spring day and I had just gotten home from school. My mom said that our first foster child was coming. She told me that he was being picked up from the hospital. He was in for pneumonia, and she added, he had a lot of medical problems and would possibly need much care.
Little did I know that this day would change my life forever, that this precious boy would change my life forever. The car finally pulled up and I ran out to greet the women and baby. I wanted to help her with him and his things. I ended up carrying him in. The moment I touched him I felt a connection. He had such a sweet face. As she told us about him and his past we were horrified. She told us his name was Brian, he was 15 months old, and that the hospital told her to warn us not to get attached. because they felt he wouldn't live much longer because of the constant respiratory infections.
Well, I already was, so it was too late and my parents were getting there just as fast. The three of us dedicated all our time to caring for him and keeping him comfortable. My poor mom didn't sleep for 3 days because she was so concerned about him. His breathing was so labored and he had seizures every day. We quickly discovered he wasn't much for sleeping at night. We often joked he was part owl or part cat.
We immediately realized his love for music also. You can see in his face how much he enjoys music, singing, and having someone read to him. The house was quickly filled with every musical toy we could find. It seemed like my mom was constantly on the phone with the doctors, trying to find a way to help him, or because he was sick again. He always had a smile though, and he warmed up to us holding him rather quickly.
He wasn't use to being held we were told, so he wasn't sure what to make of it. Because he had such neurological problems his muscle tone was very high. This was obvious when you picked him up and his body went as straight as could be. So much power in such a little body, it was absolutely amazing. Before we knew it though he was relaxing as much as he could for us and actually wanting to be held! We soon picked up on his facial expressions, sounds, and such to know what he wanted or needed.
17 years later and he is still with us. His body is aided by a feeding tube, which helped lesson the respiratory infections from aspiration, a ventilator and oxygen to keep him more comfortable and healthier now. I officially adopted him when he was 5 yrs old. The agency wanted me to wait until I was 21 to make sure I was mature enough and that I was sure. I told them I was never so certain of anything in my life. He has had numerous surgeries to help with aspiration and feeding, orthopedic problems that were causing pain and other health complications, as well was neurological problems. He has had numerous infections also that sent his body into shock. The doctors told me numerous times they weren't sure he would pull through this time. He always manages to surprise everyone and not only pull through, but do so quicker then they would have expected. You can see the love and happiness he feels so often. He hardly ever seems to complain. . He is a big flirt and has a great sense of humor. Now don't get me wrong, he gets ticked off, but that never seems to last very long. There is an almost permanent smile on his face and a song in his heart it seems.
We have had some good times too. A few vacations, some concerts, camping trips and just making the best of the days we have together. He had a special Make a Wish trip that was a Sesame Street Live concert, with a back stage pass. Elmo and Cookie Monster took him for a spin in his wagon. I think his next favorite concert was probably a Hilary Duff concert close to home. I hope to take him on a trip to NYC for some Broadway shows and sight seeing. He has inspired me so often to keep on keepin on, and I feel like God has given me the gift of caring for one of his special angles for a time. I have dedicated my life to keeping my promise to Brian and to God that I would care for him. I told Brian that there are going to be a lot of rough times, but he is loved, and not alone. He has a family that loves him and God to comfort him. I also told him that when he and God have decided it is time for him to go and be with him again to go and be free to finally walk, run, jump, talk, and sing. I will see him again later. Until then, he knows his mom is right beside him fighting and keeping on keeping on right with him.
© Copyright 2007 Danen (daneene at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1261524-The-Bravest-Boy-I-Know-My-Son