*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1208662-Kataryna-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1208662
continued
* * * * * * * * *

Kat watched as Noli walked out of the square leading her surprise purchase. Who’d have thought that boy would be here of all places? Thank the Graces no one knew who he was. Sighing, she looked over at the girl then at Lord Broden. He was talking to one of his men. When he finished, his men all left, leaving only Lord Broden, the girl and herself in the square.

“Now Lady Prishta,” Broden had a boyish grin on his face, “what do you say we get out of this heat?”

Lord Broden held out his arm and Kat had no choice but to take it. Leading her out of the square, Broden checked to make sure the girl was following. Kat half listened as Lord Broden talked idly about how trade was doing and upcoming festivals that Beldeen would be celebrating.

“Now, Lord Broden,” Kat said as they crossed out of the auction district and onto cobblestone streets, “what is so important that you are in desperate need of a lowly serving girl?”

“I need her for a gift,” Broden smiled. “My elder brother, Matthais is marrying Princess Cientra of Glasnot.”

Kat’s breath caught in her chest. “It’s about time Matty found someone,” she mumbled. Broden caught her eye and grinned.

“At first, I wasn’t sure if it was you or not, even with my family’s ring on your finger. Clever move, changing your name,” Lord Broden laughed.

“So what gave me away?” Kat offered a half smile.

“As if I could forget the only woman capable of handling my brother. Hearing you say Matthais’ name only confirmed it. You were the only one he ever let call him Matty.” Broden grinned.

An imaged flashed of Matty in her mind, an old memory. A sandy haired youth who she had raced through the woods and laughed as his horse stumbled spilled into her vision; Matty with his big smile and bright blue eyes. Broden had changed too. He was no longer the scrawny boy that she remembered. “That was a long time ago,” Kat sighed wistfully. Smiling, she continued, “I’m sure he has changed much, if you are anything to go by. Last I saw of you, you were causing more trouble than any boy of ten cycles possibly could.”

“Everyone changes,” Broden shrugged. “He definitely isn’t the laughing boy anymore; he has grown to be a stubborn man.” Kat felt his mood darken a little as he added, “A very stubborn man.”

They walked in a brooding silence for a while. Lord Broden turned to his right and led them into an inn. The sign on the front named it the Gentleman’s Reprieve and Kat could not help but wonder what type of place this establishment was. The inner courtyard had a small but comfortable stable and she could see two men leaning against stall doors eyeing them with apparent disinterest. Kat knew this wasn’t true by the anxious lip chewing of one and the way the other’s eyes kept coming back to look at her. Kat’s curiosity was at its peak and she was about to delve into their thoughts but she was interrupted by a cheerful greeting coming from the door.

The light voice belonged to a small, well figured woman wearing a pristine white blouse and dark blue skirt. Her black hair fell in soft curls but was scrupulously tied back. Broden was exchanging pleasantries while beckoning Kat and Coya forward. With an almost irritated click of her tongue, Kat walked toward Broden but glanced back to the stables, seeing if the men were still there. The two burly men were gone and left behind a sense of urgency in their leaving.

“Annabelle Secvin, this is an old friend of mine, Lady Prishta.”

“Good day to you, milady,” Annabelle dipped her head and grinned. “What brings you to my inn this afternoon?”

“Actually, Prishta and I have some business to discuss and I was wondering if you could perhaps furnish us with one of your nice, comfortable private dining rooms,” Broden asked. Kat noted the lack of formalities between the two and could not summon the reason for it. She knew better than to get lost in her thoughts or theirs for that matter, considering this time Noli wasn’t here to draw her back out if she were to get sucked into Coya’s hidden memories. Sighing, she smiled and followed Broden and the innkeeper into building.

Instead of having the normal bustle of noise that accompanied inns, this one felt like that of a comfortable manor turned into a public place. There was no loud music, no brawling and best of all, no smell of cheap wine. Annabelle set a quick pace and so Kat was not permitted time to view her surroundings. They did pass several other patrons and with each one, Annabelle offered a warm smile, quick hello and either a handshake or a hug. This place was turning Kat’s curiosity inside out and it was all she could do to stop herself from slowing time just a fragment so that she could find out more about Ms. Annabelle and her friendly patrons.

“I believe the private study on the second floor will be suitable,” Annabelle was answering Broden. “Any objections?” she asked as she led them up a generous staircase.

Broden shook his head, “That room is the one with the Demari table correct?” Annabelle nodded. “Then that is just perfect.” He grinned back at Kat and checked to see that Coya was following. Satisfied with what he saw, Broden and Annabelle continued their conversation on the comings and goings of the town Beldeen. Annabelle quickly led them to a well furnished room, tucked away in the west wing of the upper floor.

“Will that be all Broden? I think Julien has prepared some venison stew for lunch. And of course there is fresh bass and duckling. The usual trimmings on those. Oh and Mayenne managed to find some fresh bayberries along with some odd melons down on Quarter docks- ” Broden cut Annabelle off with a nod to his head.

“Thanks Ann. I think some of your fresh bread and stew along with, say, a good ale will do me some good. Bring double portions as I believe my friend here would enjoy it as well,” he grinned. “And if anyone asks, especially my brother or his goons, I’m not here.”

Annabelle nodded as if this was all common and walked out of the room. “Miss?” she added before leaving, “I’ll also have some lighter vittles brought up incase what he ordered is too heavy.” She smiled and left.

“You definitely haven’t changed much, Kat.” Broden sighed as he sank into one of the comfy armchairs by the table.

“Watch that name. I’m Lady Prishta here, now.” Kat sighed then teased, “It even says so on all my papers.”

“So noted,” Broden grumbled. “But why? I mean, why did you leave? What happened? Why the name change? Do you know Matthais and I looked for you for ages?” He seemed genuinely hurt.

Kat slumped into a chair beside him, massaging her temples. “It’s a long story,” she said. Looking up, she glanced at Broden and then at Coya. “Before we start down that road, Broden, do you mind if we first take care of some business?” She gestured at the girl. “We can reminisce over food.”

Disappointed at the change of subject, Broden nodded. “What is so important about her? I already told you why I needed her. She seems perfect for Matthais’ wedding present.”

“I just need her is all. She’s the whole reason I risked coming back here.”

“You don’t need her for any blood ceremonies do you?” He laughed. “Mother always said you were a witch. Said it explained why you never aged and your unnatural hair and eyes.”

“You know better than that, Broden.” There was slight pain in Kat’s voice as she said that and instantly he sobered. Kat thought for a minute, drumming her fingers on the table at her side. Her nails made sharp pings as they hit the finished wood. Slowly, Kat smiled. “I have an idea. I’ll trade you the girl for the perfect wedding present.”

Broden sat up, interested. “I’m listening.”

“On my boat, I happen to have one of Devak’s last chests ever made. It’s carved of sea stone and inlaid with the treasures of the deep. It cost me a pretty penny to get it, but I think for Matty’s sake, I could part with it. What do you say?”

Broden practically choked. “You could buy half my father’s kingdom with one of Devak’s works. They are very rare. How do you know you have an original?”

Kat smiled, “I know people.” She winked. “So, Broden, what do you say?”

“I think I would be an idiot to refuse. But first, I want to see this chest?”

“Fair enough, why don’t you—” Kat was interrupted by Annabelle and a plump, rosy cheeked woman entering the room. Kat’s stomach rumbled slightly at the smell of the fresh, warm bread.

“Careful now, tis hot,” the plump woman said as the trays of food were lowered.

“Thanks, Rosa,” Broden winked as he gave her a playful pinch. Kat again found herself again wondering what sort of establishment this was.

“That’s enough of that Broden,” an exasperated Annabelle said cheerily. “If there is nothing else you need, Rosa and I’ll leave you now.”

“I believe we will be just fine, Mistress Secvin,” Kat bit the words as she watched Broden teasing Rosa. “But thank you for your hospitality,” she smiled.

Nodding, Annabelle motioned to Rosa and they quickly left.

“Now you didn’t have to be rude there, Kat. It was just some harmless playing,” Broden grinned.

Rolling her eyes as much at his behavior as at his use of her name, Kat gestured at the food. “Why don’t we just eat?” She waited for Broden to dish out the stew before saying, “Be sure to make enough for a third portion, there Broden. Girl?”

Coya jumped at being called. She had fallen asleep standing in the corner. Smiling, Kat waved the girl over to her. “Come on now, sit. No need for you to starve.”

Broden eyes went soft watching Kat try to make Coya sit down and relax. “You never could deal with stations in life,” he smiled, handing out various plates of food.

“No one is better than another human being,” Kat responded softly. “The idea is wrong.”

“I’m not saying I disagree with you, but I would think you’d have learned to keep your opinions to yourself by now. Your opinions are, after all, what kept you in trouble while you were here,” Broden murmured.

Kat cleared her throat, “Enough of the past. Let’s talk about the future and our bargain?” Carefully, she pared an apple, slowly peeling the skin, as she waited for Broden’s nod to continue. “As I was saying before, how about you come by the docks this evening and you can examine the Devak chest for yourself? If it suits, you can take it with you and my crew and I can leave by nightfall.”

“Sounds reasonable, but why don’t I just follow you back now, since you seem to be in such a rush?”

Grinning, Kat said, “What would the whole town think if their governing lord followed a strange lady and completely forgot his duties? I know my description would then be passed around and I would be in a tight spot with your mother. Banishment doesn’t exactly come and go like the tide.”

“I still don’t know why she did that. Father didn’t even approve of it,” Broden growled.
Kat gave a dry chuckle, “I know, how do you think I was able to obtain papers? Your father is a very reasonable man.”

“He is indeed. Too bad Matthais isn’t more like him.” Broden mood was soured by the thought of his elder brother and Kat’s curiosity could not handle it anymore.

“What has happened with Matty? Why is it that every time you think or speak of him, you get all dark and grumpy?”

Several minutes passed by with nothing but the sounds of food being eaten. “We’ll talk about it later,” Broden replied, completely closing her off. Finishing his bowl, he stood up, “So this evening then?”

Looking up at him, Kat nodded, “I will see you then. My crew and I will wait for you at the third pier.”

Turning abruptly, Broden quickly walked toward the door. “Prishta? Be careful,” was all he said before exiting the room.

“Argh! Blast all men!” Kat banged her fist on the table. “Of all the stupid, stubborn men on this world…” Kat’s voice went lower and lower until not even she could here what she was saying. Sighing, Kat glanced over at her companion and visibly calmed. “Sorry for my outburst. It’s just that men are so infuriating at times.” Kat smiled. “Now, however is not the time for me to dwell on the stupidities of the male sex. What is your name, girl? And do not tell me Coya, for I know that that is not your name.”

Coya took a deep breath. There was something slightly unsettling about this woman before her, and it wasn’t the unnatural red hair or green eyes. This woman seemed to radiate power in ways that Coya had never felt before. Lowering her eyes, Coya said, “I am just Coya, mistress.”

Sighing, Kat weighed the girl in front of her. If this girl wanted to play it out this way, so be it. “I refuse to call someone by their clan type,” Kat watched as the girl took in a deep breath, clearly shocked. “However, I will respect your secrecy and privacy for now but know this, I am not your mistress nor your master. I am here to help you. Now finish eating quickly, I have a friend waiting for us.”

Coya nodded and quickly finished her stew then watched as Kat wrapped several of the remaining fruits into the folds of her dress. “You never know when these can come in handy,” Kat winked. “Let’s go.”

They were greeted by Annabelle on their way outside. “Was everything to your liking then, Lady Prishta?”

“It was more than suitable,” Kat replied amicably.

“Don’t worry about anything, Broden put it on his tab,” Annabelle said with a wave of her hand.

Coya heard Kat click her tongue then manage to smile graciously.

“How nice of him,” Kat said. “Still, that was some of the best food I’ve had in a long time.” Kat smiled and pressed several coins into the woman’s hand in parting, “My compliments to the chef and to you for your hospitality.”

As they exited out into the afternoon sun and busy street, Coya could hear Mistress Secvin give an audible sigh of relief. Coya felt good to know that she was not the only one intimidated by this fiery woman.

* * * * * * * * *

Noli rubbed his bad leg as he drank another mug of ale. His third. Ordinarily he didn’t consume much alcohol but he was in a poor mood. She was running late and he didn’t know whether or not she was in trouble. To make matters worse, he was stuck playing tender to a boy that didn’t know his place. Twice already the boy had tried to escape. Where in the fools name did he think to escape to? Sighing as he reached the bottom, he glanced sourly up at his table. The carriage driver was nervously watching the boy and twiddling his thumbs. The boy himself sat in the corner of the booth and was chained to the table leg. He was looking, almost longingly, at one of the tavern maids. Noli stifled a chuckle as another busty maid refilled his mug. Ah women! Blessings and curses on the earth, they are, he thought, tasting the bittersweet ale on his tongue. As he finished this pint, Noli glanced out at the afternoon sun; it seemed another good hour had passed and still no word from Kat. Growling he slammed the empty mug on table, “Fool women! Whare in bats dung is that blasted fire-driven woman?”

Master Klegg seemed shocked at his out burst and even the boy was visibly taken aback. “Advisor Turi’den, I think per-perhaps you s-should show some more respect for the Lady,” he voiced tremulously.

Noli let out a long laugh. “Klegg, what my Lady does not hear, cannot hurt her,” he grinned. Sobering, he continued, “I jus’ hope she is not steeped in trouble.”

“Well if she is, it’s up to her to get out of it,” Noli jumped as he heard Kat’s voice at his elbow. Klegg quickly bolted to his feet and started bowing.

“Yer late,” Noli grumped happily. Kat raised her eyebrow at him before looking at the rest of the table.

“We better be getting back to our ship, Advisor Turi’den,” Kat sighed.

“Master Klegg? Go and get your carriage ready. The Lady and I will join you outside,” Noli commanded the driver. Klegg was only too ready to leave and quickly made his way out of the tavern. “Were you able to get what you came for, Lady Prishta?” he asked.

Kat nodded her head and stepped to the side so that Noli could see Coya.
© Copyright 2007 Preggy lady (blondeez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1208662-Kataryna-2