*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186804-Almareon
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Fantasy · #1186804
The prolouge to my fantasy novel.
Prologue
The banded soldiers a thousand in number cut their way towards Ecrison forest. Fresh blood darkened their armour and tainted the flanks of their horses. Their captain known only as Reino paused as they approached the ancient tree’s. His eyes examined them, and with a heavy heart he gave the order to his men. They moved forwards as one revealing not swords as would be expected but axes. Than together they began to cut into the forest, wiping out the undergrowth. Captain Reino steadied his horse and watched in silence as the edge of the forest fell before the faceless soldiers.

These tree’s were unlike any others the captain had seen in over 20 years of service. Reaching unknown heights the tree’s dominated the area, the sudden greenery standing out against the plainness of the Drio plains. Winter had no dominion here, the leaves stayed green and fresh throughout the year. Yet despite this endless summer a menace hung heavy in the air, for in this forest the darkest beasts had made their lair’s and their presence known. It seemed inconceivable that any fairness dwelled within the green depths.

As he watched Reino found his eyes drawn to the scroll he clutched in his left hand. His orders, inscribed in an unknown’s blood warned him of the fate he would suffer if he failed at this mission. As he stared at the bloody letters one phrase stood clear.
All for your king.
His king, the ice cold Deimos. Everyone knew of his madness, yet his brilliance in war lead to the ultimate respect from his generals. As for running the kingdom, well that was left to his incomprehensibly sane queen Setael. Since the pair had taken to the throne the kingdom had been run in complete order for no one dared to defy the queen. The beautiful malicious queen. Reino felt his mind being dragged back to his appointment as captain. It was 8 years ago yet he could still feel the cold steel on his back as the King tormented him. The look in the queen’s eyes as she watched his anguish.

Often he had wondered of the possibilities of another king. A fairer ruler, one who wouldn’t raise taxes until farmers struggled to feed their families. A ruler who wouldn’t respond to questions with murder. Yet Reino knew it was impossible, there was no one left to contest the king’s claim to the throne. At first many people had expected the head of the dragon rider’s to step up. Yet the weeks and months passed and Ranier made no move to challenge the king, choosing instead to follow his ruling. But there was no point in wasting time wishing, Deimos and Setael ruled the land, a fact unlikely to change. Unclenching his fist and sliding the scroll back within his armour Reino prepared to undertake his mission.

“Your next orders sir?” Came the gruff impatient voice of one of his men.
Reino jolted back to the present and his eyes were once more drawn to the colossal tree’s that stood before him. He could not deny that they intimidated him, man or beast could be handled with ease. But here there lied a presence he could not deal with using a sword or bow. His common sense told him that the legends and myths associated with Ecrison forest were nothing but old wives tales used to frighten children, yet his fears still hovered over him.

Despite his fears Deimos had given him an order. One that could not be disobeyed simply because of a few childish fears. Reino banished his misgivings and gave the signal for the men to continue forcing their way through the forest. A clear path was now appearing in the undergrowth and Reino soothed his skittish mount before leading his soldiers into the forest. They followed without question, swapping their axes for the jagged swords that had so seldom been at rest in the past violent year.
© Copyright 2006 starsnswirls (starsandswirls at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186804-Almareon