*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186316-The-Rabbit-Died
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by thebee
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Women's · #1186316
Dog eats baby rabbit in woods and woman finds out she is pregnant.
The Rabbit Died

“Stop, Rocky, stop! Slow down! Rocky!” Amy yelled at her dog, as he pulled her stumbling behind him. She tripped over some rocks, but didn’t fall, mostly because Rocky pulled her upright with the leash. She jogged behind him, glad to be on smooth open ground now, even if only for a little while.
The golden retriever ran on, sniffing the ground and barking, up the sloping ground towards the bushes at the edge of the woods. They would be in the woods in a minute, and she was not in the mood to do the major clean-up Rocky would need if he found something interesting in the woods.
“Rocky! Heel! Rocky!” Amy yelled again, and this time the big dog slowed and looked back at her. Then he turned his head to look in front of him, barked and took off again. Oh, brother, Amy thought, what has he found? I just hope it’s not a skunk. Rocky had met up with a skunk last spring, and the cleanup from that encounter took three days of tomato juice baths, and he still had a lingering odor a month later.
Rocky must have scented an animal, thought Amy. I’ve got to get him to stop. I don’t have time to give him a bath today.
“Rocky! Heel! Heel!” This time Rocky slowed down, and began sniffing near a log. He sniffed closer to the log, then began digging in the dead leaves and dirt at the base of the log. He began to whine and dig faster. Amy tried to pull him away from whatever he wanted to unearth, but the big dog wouldn’t budge.
“Rocky, stop! Leave it! Come on!” All that money she had spent on training for Rocky, and she still couldn’t get him to leave his digging project.
She decided she had better try to find out if he was after a skunk, or hopefully another less-fragrant animal. She leaned over the dog to see into the hole he was digging, and then her stomach lurched and a wave of nausea rolled over her.
She grabbed the log and leaned on it until the nausea settled. What was that all about? She must have jiggled her stomach with all that running behind Rocky. Well, time to start back, Stan would be waiting dinner for her.
“Come on, Rocky, you’ll just have to leave it, we have to go home now. Dinner, Rock, dinner!” That word almost always got his attention, but not this time.
He must smell something irresistible, Amy thought. I’ve got to distract him somehow. She dug in her pockets for a doggy treat, but she had given him all of them already. Her finger touched the dog whistle, forgotten in her jacket pocket for months. They didn’t need to use it anymore, because Rocky was trained, but this was an emergency.
She put it to her mouth and blew. She didn’t hear anything, but at last Rocky stopped digging and turned his head. He barked a few times, and she quickly pulled on the leash to get his head away from the hole. She glanced into the hole and gasped when she saw that Rocky had uncovered a nest of six baby rabbits, barely covered with fur.
“Awwww, babies!” Amy smiled at them. Rocky turned his head back to the hole, saw the baby rabbits, and in an instant gobbled up one of them. There was a sickening crunching sound as he chewed and swallowed the baby rabbit.
“Oh, no, Rocky! Bad Dog! No! Bad dog!” Her stomach churned as she pulled as hard as she could on the leash. Another wave of nausea rolled over her as she managed to get the big dog away from the log and the rabbit nest. Her legs wobbled as she fought down the nausea.
She picked up some dirt and rubbed it on Rocky’s nose to distract him from the smell of the rabbits. Finally he whined and looked at her, and they both began walking home.
Amy was nauseous all the way home. Why had Rocky eaten that baby rabbit? He never did anything like that before. Maybe he needed more training. She decided to call the training agency as soon as she got home, and the vet, too, to ask him if Rocky might have any side effects from eating the baby rabbit. Her stomach roiled every time she remembered the crunching sound.
Stan was standing on the porch when she got home, and another surge of nausea rolled over her.
“Oh,” she moaned, and closed her eyes.
“What’s wrong? You ok?” Stan asked her. He always knew when something was wrong, or when she was trying to hide something from him. He always found out what his gifts were before she gave them to him. He had this way of looking at her that made her tell him everything.
“I feel sick. Rocky found a nest of baby rabbits, and before I could stop him, he ate one,” She clamped her mouth shut and swallowed to force the nausea down.
“Oh, that must have been bad for you,” Stan sympathized. “Come have a cup of tea, it’ll help. Peppermint will settle your stomach,” He put his arm around her, kissed her cheek and helped her into a kitchen chair.
Amy put her face in her hands and breathed slowly as Stan put a cup in the microwave, then he put Rocky outside in the back yard. He gave Rocky food and water, and closed and locked the back door.
Everybody in both their families joked about how Stan had a home remedy for just about any health problem, from asthma to ‘zits’. The peppermint tea smelled good to Amy, so she breathed in the steam until it cooled off enough to drink.
“Any better?” Stan sounded casual, but she knew he was paying close
attention to her.
“I think so. Give me a few more minutes and I’ll know for sure,” Amy answered, with her eyes closed.
“Maybe we’ll save this beef stew for tomorrow. How about some crackers and then maybe a salad?” Stan suggested gently.
“Yes, crackers sound good right now. I’ll see about the salad if the crackers stay down. Sorry about the beef stew, but I just couldn’t swallow a bite,” Amy smiled at Stan. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her on the forehead.
“Just relax, you’ll feel better in no time,” he smiled.
Amy nibbled on her crackers, and when Stan put a small green salad in front of her, she asked him for some lemon juice.
“No dressing?” Stan asked. She shook her head.
“Lemon juice is all I can handle right now.” Amy answered with a grimace. She covered a huge yawn with her hand.
“I think I’ll go straight to bed when I finish this. I guess this thing has been kind of a shock,” Amy yawned again.
“Sure, a hot shower will help you relax, and you’ll be back to normal in the morning,” Stan smiled at her as he picked up their empty bowls and put them in the sink.
After her shower, Amy’s stomach felt much better. When Stan appeared with a cup of hot cocoa, she smiled and reached for it.
“Better?” Stan asked.
“Yeah, my stomach seems to like hot showers. I don’t feel any nausea at all,” Amy answered as she sipped the hot chocolate.
“Here, turn around. I’ll help you relax a little more,” Stan began to rub her neck and shoulders. Bu the time she finished her chocolate, she could hardly keep her eyes open.
“Thanks, honey. That really helped. You’re the best. Love you,” she yawned again as they kissed good night. She snuggled under the comforter and was asleep in a minute.
“Good night, babe, love you,” Stan said. He turned out the light and stood in the doorway for a minute looking at her, then went back to the kitchen to clean up.
He went into the den where he did his writing and opened his latest story. He didn’t start writing right away, but sat there thinking for a few minutes. A small smile lingered on his face, then he sighed and started revising his story.
When the sun shining on her eyes made her open them, Amy felt so good she didn’t want to move. She lay there cozy in the bed for a few minutes, then realized her body wouldn’t let her sleep any more unless she made a trip to the bathroom first.
She sighed and began to sit up. Nausea rolled through her, and she groaned. Oh brother, she thought disgustedly. Just what I need, a stomach flu. Just when we're going to Mom and Dad’s this weekend.
She walked carefully into the bathroom, where she was overcome by the nausea. She splashed water on her face and decided a cool shower would be more welcome this morning.
When she went down to the kitchen, Stan came in from the den. He often worked late at night, and then got up early to work more in the morning. He said he felt more creative in the morning, and he could only stop when he came to a certain point in the story. Not Amy, she liked to go to bed early, sleep late, and cram a huge amount of activity in one day.
“How’s my animal lover this morning?” Stan smiled at her, then his expression changed to concern when he saw her face.
“Were you sick again?”
“I think I have a stomach bug. I threw up when I got up, but I feel better now. I’m sure I’ll be ok to go to Mom and Dad’s today,” Amy smiled at Stan, and put a cup of peppermint tea in the microwave.
“Are you sure? We can go another weekend, you know. There’s nothing special going on this weekend,” Stan’s eyes searched her face and he held her hand.
“No, I’m fine. Besides, if I am sick, Mom can check me out, right?”
Amy smiled and poked Stan in the rib to remind him that her mother was a pediatrician. Even though Amy was not a kid anymore, her mother still check her out when she was sick.
“OK, we’ll ask her to look at you as soon as we get there. No excuses,” Stan was firm when he thought she might be sick. She had been sick a lot when she was growing up, one thing or another. She still tended to catch any bug that was going around, but she hadn’t been sick for nearly six months now, knock on wood. Stan had gotten her to eat differently, and maybe his diet was working to help her stay well. She smiled at him and nodded in agreement, and picked up a slice of toast to dunk in her tea.
“Are you packed yet? I was thinking we could leave right after lunch, then we’ll get there just in time for dinner.”
“Sure, I’ll stop in about an hour, then fix us some lunch. Can you handle the beef stew today, with French bread?” Stan asked.
“Just a little stew, more bread. I still feel a tiny bit queasy,” Amy answered with a small smile. She knew she had to eat, but right now she couldn’t even think beyond her tea and toast.
“Good enough. Could you pack for me? You know how I hate it, and I always forget my toothbrush,” Stan reminded her.
“Yep, my mom buys them in bulk, just so you have one when we go there,” she teased him.
“Gosh, I’m sorry, I hope she doesn’t think I’m a dummy because I always forget my toothbrush,” Stan looked anxiously at her.
“Of course she doesn’t, sweetie. She loves you and she thinks you’re fabulous,” Amy reassured him quickly.
“I know she does, and she’s right,” he grinned at her smugly.
“Oh, you, get over yourself,” she laughed as she went to pack both their bags for the weekend.
An hour later Stan came to a stopping point in his story and went to see how the packing was coming along. When he went into the bedroom, he saw the packed bags on the floor and Amy curled up on the bed, asleep. He watched her for a few minutes, then gently sat down on the bed. She stirred and opened her eyes.
”Oh, I didn’t mean to sleep. I guess I was more tired than I thought,” she yawned and stretched.
“Ready for lunch? It’s waiting in the kitchen,” Stan studied her face, then helped her up.
“I’m right behind you,” she smiled at him. Stan picked up the two bags and went to the kitchen.
Amy was able to eat a whole bowl of the stew, and two pieces of the French bread.She sighed in contentment.
“More?” Stan didn’t really think she could eat any more, but he asked her anyway. He loved sitting here with her, and wanted to prolong their time together. She was always on the go, with her animal shelter and animal rights work, so they didn’t get that much alone time.
“No, thank you, kind sir, and may I kiss the chef?” she asked with a lazy smile.
“You certainly may, but only when the chef is me,” he answered her mock-sternly.
“Oh, what about Rocky? How dirty is he from yesterday?” Amy’s face clouded as she remembered yesterday. If she had to bathe the dog, they would get to her parent’s house late.
“He’s fine, he just had muddy feet and he rubbed that off on his blanket,” answered Stan. “We can leave anytime.”
“Good. Could you get him into the car? I’ll bring the stuff and lock up,” Amy went to pick up the bags but Stan got there before her.
“I’ll put them and Rocky in the car, you lock up and we’ll take off,” Stan said as he walked out the door.
Amy looked suspiciously at Stan’s back. He usually didn’t think of helping carry stuff to the car. Was there something going on here? She shrugged, and was thankful for small things.
They both enjoyed the three-hour drive to her parents’ house, stopping once for cold drinks in a quaint general store in a tiny town on the way. They rarely took the highways, instead they both preferred the more pleasant local roads. The scenery was beautiful, and they could stop wherever they wanted.
They pulled into Amy’s parents’ house just at dusk. Her parents came out to welcome them, and Stan put Rocky in the back yard to play.
“Hi, mom, hi Dad. How are you guys? It’s so good to see you. Any news?” Amy asked her parents happily.
“Hi, sweetie, hi, Stan, we’re both fine, not much news, just local stuff. Mrs. Bailey’s dog had four puppies Tuesday,” announced her mother, Frances, giving Amy a hug. Her mother looked at her face for a moment and looked at Stan over her head. Stan lowered his eyes and the corners of his mouth turned up a little. Amy’s mom smiled, but she looked concerned, too.
“And how are you, sweetie? How’s your shelter? Still busy, as usual?” Frances asked brightly.
“Yes, mom, it’s always busy, so I’m always busy,” Amy answered.
Stan cleared his throat.
“Frances, I think you need to give Amy a check up. She may have a stomach bug. She threw up this morning.”
“Of course, dear. Come on into my office and we’ll find out what’s wrong,” Frances said briskly as she took Amy’s arm. Amy turned back to glare at Stan, and he smirked back at her. He and Amy’s dad, Thomas, carried the bags into the main part of the house.
“Well, Stan, from the looks going between you and my wife, there’s something up with our Amy. Any ideas? Is it a bug, or something else? Thomas’ face showed concern, but there was a tiny gleam of hope in his eyes.
“Not sure yet, Tom, but I am hopeful. She did have a nasty experience yesterday when she was walking Rocky,” Stan told Tom about the rabbit Rocky had eaten, and how Amy had felt when she came home. He also told Tom about Amy’s throwing up in the morning. The gleam of hope in Tom’s eyes became stronger.
“Well, Frances will test her, and then we’ll know for sure,” Tom put some water on to boil, because he knew Amy liked herbal tea when her stomach was upset. He and Stan sat at the kitchen table to wait for Amy and Frances.
The kettle had whistled, been turned down, and Stan had started pacing the floor when Frances and Amy came into the kitchen. Frances’ eyes were red, and she held a tissue to her nose. Amy was smiling, and she rushed over to Stan and hugged him. Stan hugged her back, and looked over her head at Frances.
Amy’s mom nodded to both Stan and her husband. Tom moved to give his wife a hug, and she sniffed and smiled.
Amy turned to all of them and said, "Well, guys, it’s official. I’m pregnant. That’s why I threw up this morning.”
“Oh, honey, we’re so happy,” smiled Tom. Everybody hugged everybody else, and by then, both women were teary and sniffing. Tom moved to turn the stove up and got the cups ready. He poured the boiling water into a large teapot.
“Let’s call Liz, she’ll want to know right away,” said Amy.
“Oh, yes, and your aunt Louise, too,” Frances sighed. “When I think how long we’ve waited for this, and now it’s finally happened,” she smiled.
Amy talked to her sister, who said she and her husband and kids would be right over. Aunt Louise said she was so happy for Amy, and she would be there in the morning. Amy hung up the phone, and accepted the mug of peppermint tea her father handed her.
“Liz and her gang are coming right over,” she said with a smile.
“We better think about some food, then. Stan, any ideas?” Frances looked hopefully at Stan. Everyone loved Stan’s cooking, so he usually prepared the food for these big family gatherings.
“How about a Chinese stir-fry? With so many hands, we can get the chopping done in no time. And maybe Tom can put together his legendary peach cobbler?” Everyone looked longingly at Tom, who grinned back at them.
“You got it. This is a celebration, and our Amy loves my cobbler,”
Amy grinned and said,” Got ice cream?”
Everyone laughed, and Frances said, “Come on, sweetie, let’s make a run to the store. We need some milk and juice anyway, for the kids. And for you, too, Amy. No more alcohol, sodas or caffeine for you.”
“Aw, mom, I need my coffee in the mornings. I can’t face the day without it,” Amy whined to her mother.
“You’ll live, missy. Just think about that baby and it’ll be easy,” laughed her mother.
“What about chocolate?” Amy asked plaintively.
“Rationed,” said her mother, the drill sergeant.
“OK,” sighed Amy. “I’ll probably be so busy throwing up that I won’t even miss it.”
“Yup,” answered her mother, giving her a hug.
© Copyright 2006 thebee (beeharris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186316-The-Rabbit-Died