*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1163843-ETC-547-Scholarly-Paper
by Jen
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1163843
This is my paper for ETC 547
Scholarly Writing Assignment

Jennifer Leonardi
Northern Arizona University
ETC 547
September 25, 2006





















Abstract

Technology in education is changing rapidly. Schools that once had little room for technology now have online classes and wireless networks. Technology is better understood after understanding the learning theories. Learning theories help gain knowledge as to how the mind obtains and stores information. Technology can be utilized to enhance learning and promote active engagement. Technology is increasing in magnitude among the core subjects and is becoming more widely recognized as an important tool in the educational field.





























How has the use of technology impacted teaching and learning in the PK-16 classroom?

The use of technology in the classroom has had a profound impact on the way students learn and teachers teach. Technology has come a long way in recent history and has become ever more present in the classroom setting from Pre-kindergarten through the college level. To truly understand the impact technology has had one must first understand the learning theories. One must understand these theories in order to determine the place technology has in the overall process of learning.

Learning Theories

Behaviorism

Wikipedia states that behaviorism is a philosophy in which the understanding is that all behaviors can be studied and observed and then scientifically explained without regard to the internal mental state. The lead researchers in the study of the behaviorism were Ivan Pavlov, John Watson, and B.F. Skinner. B.F. Skinner is most commonly recognized for his use in studying responses to stimuli under the theory of behaviorism. This theory stated that for every stimulus there is a programmed response. By exposing the subject to the stimuli, obtaining a response, and awarding that response with negative or positive reinforcement the subject will continue to react with the same response. This sequence of events is called Classical Conditioning under the theory of Behaviorism.




Social Learning Theories

According to Wikipedia the Social Learning Theory states that social learning occurs “through three stages of imitation: close contact, imitation of superiors, and insertion.” This theory revolves around the understanding that by watching others actions and behaviors society learns how and what to do and what is acceptable and unacceptable. Bandura and Vygotsky are both famous for developing this theory. This theory is still widely accepted throughout the education world and provokes the idea and use of modeling to help children learn. Modeling is used everyday by teachers to ensure students understand the behaviors expected of them.

Cognitive Learning Theories

The Cognitive Learning Theory is an extension of the Social Learning Theory and the work of Bandura. This theory adds on to the understanding that modeling is important but that each student may still react differently than is intended by the teacher. The child or student’s prior knowledge causes this change in reaction. This prior knowledge will determine how the student perceives the stimulus and what reaction takes place. An example of this would be if a teacher is trying to teach a student that cussing in school is bad and the student is raised in a home where cussing is encouraged, the student will not accept the idea that cussing is bad or unacceptable and continue to cuss at school.

Constructivism

The idea of constructivism comes from the idea that learning is initiated by the student and guided by the teacher. This theory is most commonly linked with Jean Piget. Constructivism focused on how students are learning and utilizes the ideas of group work, hands on activities, student centered activities, and dialogue. Students utilize their prior knowledge and interest to guide their own instruction. Teachers serve as a guide to ensure learning is taking place and to guide students to discover new findings. Many theories have come from the ideas of constructivism including constructionism, which is the idea of teaching in a constructivist way.

Constructionism

The idea of constructionism was developed by Seymour Papert and is based on the ideas of constructivism. However, Papert took constructionism one-step further by stating that students learn best when developing or constructing something new. Thus when students are engaged in a project based assignment in which they are to create something new such as a building to show geometric figures, a book to showcase their work, or a paper airplane to show aerodynamics the student is more likely to be engaged in the learning. This idea comes into play in the classroom by allowing students to utilize their own ideas in a portfolio assessment rather than the typical paper and pencil assessment. Often multimedia is cast into the ideas of constructionism as this allows students more tools to utilize in the construction of their own project.

History of Technology Use in Schools

The use of technology has changed greatly in schools over the past years. In just the past two decades, schools have gone from one computer lab of 30 Mac computers used primarily for typing reports to wireless mobile labs consisting of 30 PC or Mac laptops. Once upon a time technology was seen as the overhead projector in the classroom, which the teacher used frequently. Teachers have now stepped up to completing power point lessons and having students engage in online chatting and conferencing. Technology has come a long way in terms of the role it plays in the educational society.

Two decades ago technology was merely computers in a computer lab. Some schools and districts were fortunate enough to be able to provide internet access within their computer labs, however, patience was in high demand as computers often ran slow and froze or crashed frequently due to overloading servers. While this problem can still be seen in some of the poorest districts today, most districts have moved from computer labs to computers in the classroom. Most districts now provide a few computers in teacher’s classroom for more daily usage. In some of the more affluent districts teachers are fortunate enough to have wireless laptop stations so they are able to bring the learning directly into their classrooms. Teachers and administrators are now more concerned with technology and pursuing grants to be able to fund the usage of laptop stations and handheld devices. However, economic status of both the district and the families within that district still influence the amount and type of technology used.

A student’s prior knowledge and exposure to technology greatly influences the usage and role technology plays in their life. According to Michelle DenBeste, author of “Power Point, Technology and the Web: More than Just an Overhead Projector for the New Century?” and Professor at California State University, states “Student preparation for technology often depends on where they attended high school and how much money the school had to devote to computer systems. It also may depend on the students’ own income levels. Students who had access to a computer at home and who now have on in their dormitory room are probably more familiar with the technology than the student who has to trek across campus to a remote computer lab” (492-493). Not all students are exposed to technology in the same way or at the same level. Some teachers still fear technology and the time constraints of learning and using this technology and thus do not teach their students how to utilize it. With the use of this technology come other responsibilities. Ensuring that students are using information accurately and decoding fiction from fact in addition to the instruction that must take place to become familiar with use must now all be taught.

Technology is no longer just an addition to make lessons fun and exciting as it once was. Teachers now face the job of exposing students to technology and teaching them technological standards. These standards are meant to ensure that all students in a particular district or state are exposed to the same things. However, at this point there is no assessment to ensure that teachers are teaching these standards and thus they are only as good as the teachers using them. According to the author of “Technology in the Standards of Other School Subjects,” Patrick Foster, technology content “abounds in national standards in social studies, science and mathematics, whether implied, applied or overt.” Foster goes on to talk about how technology can be integrated easily because the standards lend themselves to each content or subject area. While many public school districts are facing the new integration and challenges talked about in previous paragraphs, there are other new innovations at the private school level.

Students, who are unable to succeed in a typical public school for a variety of reasons, are now able to log on and take classes at an online campus. The idea has been around longer at the college level but has now trickled down to the high school level and is even being discussed for students as young as elementary. During a Web cast broadcast through Learning Point Associates on December 1, 2005, Dr. Catherine Cavanaugh, with the University of Florida, stated, “in general it (on-line learning) can be as effective for learning as face-to-face instruction. It appears to be effective across content areas and grade levels.” She also spoke about how students seem to retain as much information and have the same or more satisfaction from their learning. Technology isn’t just aiding those students who cannot function in the normal classroom due to behavior or time constraints. It is also assisting those students who have learning disabilities that limit their function in the regular education classroom. An article from the journal, Teaching Exceptional Children, discusses how they utilized the “ideals for universal design for learning” and implemented this into their teaching. They stated that by using multimedia projects students would be required to “read for meaning and apply a generally recognized strategy of identifying and summarizing main ideas.” They went on to say that the organizational features helped keep their students focused and the structure allowed for success. Technology is used in a variety of ways to empower students to become more involved in their own learning.

The use of technology has greatly changed over the years; it was once not user friendly and had little substance in the classroom. It now allows students to feel more engaged in the learning process and allows teachers to scaffold new ideas to them. Technology has its place in education and teachers need to understand the uses so as to know when it benefits and when it hinders the learning process. Linda Labbo, of the University of Georgia, states that things like noise in electronic books “may lead to students’ engagement or distraction. Research suggests that teachers need to clearly state expectations and should carefully monitor students’ interactions with electronic stories” (203), Teachers need to be reminded that technology is not a replacement for the guidance and instruction a teacher gives but merely an added learning tool. Technology has come a long way in terms of presence and usage in the classroom. Teachers need to be ready to embrace this ever-changing tool and be ready for its continued influence on education.

Future of Technology in Education

The changes in technology have been vast. Teachers are now integrating technology more than ever and students are learning in new ways that promote their active engagement. However, to ensure we continue on the path of enrichment we must ensure that we continue to promote the acquirement of technology and its importance to our districts and communities. With the latest legislation, the No Child Left Behind Act, we must ensure that we continue to teach technology. In an article that appeared in Technology Teacher titled “Six Concepts to Help You Align with NCLB,” authors questioned, “How can technology and engineering education survive and thrive in a time when only core subjects seem to be valued?” Teachers are feeling this pressure in schools and need to remain focused that technology is not a separate subject all on its own and teachers need to find the tools to enhance the learning and solidify understanding of the core subjects. According to a Gateway Webinar, one of the leading producers of computer technology, “the unskilled labor market is disappearing. Technology literacy is and will be fundamental for employability. Today 70% of all jobs require individuals to touch computers on a daily basis.” This means that teachers must be incorporating the teaching and learning of technology into the future generations. It is no longer an option to have technology and teach it. Today it is a must.

Technology is an ever changing phenomenon and is now present in our every day lives. Teachers must embrace technology, as shying away from it is no longer an option. As technology continues to advance with online schools and web based sites for communication, schools must continue to advance students to prepare them for the ever-changing world.





























References
Behaviorism. (2006, September 20). In Wikipedia, The Free
Encyclopedia. Retrieved 05:10, September 24, 2006, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Behaviorism&oldid=76797516

Cavanaugh, C (Presenter). (2005, December 1). New Research on K-12
Online Learning: Guidance for Policy and Practice [Podcast radio programme]. Learning Point Associates. Retrieved September 23, 2006, from http://www.ncrel.org/tech/webcast/index.html

Den Beste, Michelle. (2003). Power Point, Technology and the Web:
More Than Just an Overhead Projector for the New Century? History Teacher, 36, 491-504. Retrieved September 23, 2006, from EBSCO database.

Dunn, Michael, Elder-Hinshaw, Rebecca, Nelson, Jason, and Manset,-
Williamson, Genevieve. (2006), Engaging Older Students with Reading Disabilities: Multimedia Inquiry Projects Supported by Reading Assistive Technology. Teaching Exceptional Children, 39, 6-11. Retrieved September 23, 2006, from EBSCO database.

Foster, Patrick. (2005). Technology in the Standards of Other School
Subjects. Technology Teacher, 49, 63-66. Retrieved September 23, 2006, from EBSCO database.

Gateway (Producer). (2005, October 25). The Tipping Point in K-12
Education: One-to-One Computing, Electronic Textbooks, and New Tools. [Webinar]. Gateway Technology and Learning. Retrieved September 23, 2006, from http://i.cmpnet.com/techlearning/webinars/TippingPointSlides.pdf
Hanson, Dale. (2006). Six Concepts To Help You Align with NCLB.
Technology Teacher, 66, 22-23. Retrieved September 23, 2006, from EBSCO database.

Labbo, Linda. (2006). Literarcy Pedagogy and Computer
Technologies: Toward Solving the Puzzle of Current and Future Classroom Practices. Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, 29, 199-209. Retrieved September 23, 2006, from EBSCO database.

Social learning theory. (2006, August 31). In Wikipedia, The Free
Encyclopedia. Retrieved 05:12, September 24, 2006, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Social_learning_theory&oldid=72949057



© Copyright 2006 Jen (jenleonardi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1163843-ETC-547-Scholarly-Paper