*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1123982-english
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1123982
nicole cha eka jojhet mitch
Erika Vanessa Yumul

Styles of Speech Introduction
1. Startling Statement
example:
Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death
Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.
No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve. This is no time for ceremony. The questing before the House is one of awful moment to this country. For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings.
source: www.libertyonline.com

2. Historical Reference

example:

Gettysburg Address
Abraham Lincoln, November 19, 1863
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
source: www.showcase.netins.net

3. Statement of purpose
example:
Rivers of Blood
Enoch Powell - 20th of April, 1968.
The supreme function of statesmanship is to provide against preventable evils. In seeking to do so, it encounters obstacles which are deeply rooted in human nature. One is that by the very order of things such evils are not demonstrable until they have occurred; at each stage in their onset there is room for doubt and for dispute whether they be real or imaginary. By the same token, they attract little attention in comparison with current troubles, which are both indisputable and pressing; whence the besetting temptation of all politics to concern itself with the immediate present at the expense of the future.
source: www.hippy.freeserve.co.uk

source of speech introduction styles: www.worldofspeech.com
**********************************************************************************************
Michele Teodoro

Styles of Speech Introduction

1. Referring to Occasion

example:
Let Freedom Reign by Nelson Mandela
Today all of us do, by our presence here, and by our celebrations in other parts of our country and the world, confer glory and hope to newborn liberty.
source: www.abundantworld.com/famous_speeches.htm#5

2. Historical Reference
example:
Their finest hour by Winston Churchill
During the first four years of the last war the Allies experienced nothing but disaster and disappointment. That was our constant fear: one blow after another, terrible losses, frightful dangers. Everything miscarried. And yet at the end of those four years the morale of the Allies was higher than that of the Germans, who had moved from one aggressive triumph to another, and who stood everywhere triumphant invaders of the lands into which they had broken. During that war we repeatedly asked ourselves the question: How are we going to win? and no one was able ever to answer it with much precision, until at the end, quite suddenly, quite unexpectedly, our terrible foe collapsed before us, and we were so glutted with victory that in our folly we threw it away.
source: www.abundantworld.com/famous_speeches.htm#5

3. Vital Statement
example:
A contaminated Moral Environment by Vaclav Havel
We live in a contaminated moral environment. We fell morally ill because we became used to saying something different from what we thought. We learned not to believe in anything, to ignore each other, to care only about ourselves. Concepts such as love, friendship, compassion, humility, or forgiveness lost their depth and dimensions, and for many of us they represented only psychological peculiarities, or they resembled gone-astray greetings from ancient times, a little ridiculous in the era of computers and spaceships. Only a few of us were able to cry out loud that the powers that be should not be all-powerful, and that special farms, which produce ecologically pure and top-quality food just for them, should send their produce to schools, children's homes, and hospitals if our agriculture was unable to offer them to all. The previous regime - armed with its arrogant and intolerant ideology - reduced man to a force of production and nature to a tool of production. In this it attacked both their very substance and their mutual relationship. It reduced gifted and autonomous people, skillfully working in their own country, to nuts and bolts of some monstrously huge, noisy, and stinking machine, whose real meaning is not clear to anyone. It cannot do more than slowly but inexorably wear down itself and all its nuts and bolts.
source: www.abundantworld.com/famous_speeches.htm#5

<source of speech introduction styles from geocities.com>
***********************************************************************************************
Charlotte Leslie Gonzales


Styles of Speech Introduction

1.Quote

example:
The Holocaust speech by Pope John Paul II - March 23, 2000
The words of the ancient Psalm, rise from our hearts: "I have become like a broken vessel. I hear the whispering of many - terror on every side - as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life. But I trust in you, O Lord: I say, 'you are my God."'

source: www.famousquotes.me.uk

2. Statement of Purpose
example:
National Security Speech by President Ronald Reagan - March 23, 1983

My fellow Americans, thank you for sharing your time with me tonight.

The subject I want to discuss with you, peace and national security, is both timely and important. Timely, because I've reached a decision which offers a new hope for our children in the 21st century, a decision I'll tell you about in a few minutes. And important because there's a very big decision that you must make for yourselves. This subject involves the most basic duty that any President and any people share, the duty to protect and strengthen the peace.
source: www.famousquotes.me.uk
*************************************************************************************************

Jojhet Villaflor


Styles of Speech Introduction

1. Refering to other speakers

example:
I See the Promised Land speech by Martin Luther King Memphis - April 3rd 1968
Thank you very kindly, my friends. As I listened to Ralph Abernathy in his eloquent and generous introduction and then thought about myself, I wondered who he was talking about. It's always good to have your closest friend and associate say something good about you. And Ralph is the best friend that I have in the world.
source: www.famousquotes.me.uk

2. Vital Statement
example :
We choose to go to the Moon speech by John F. Kennedy - September 12th 1962
We meet at a college noted for knowledge, in a city noted for progress, in a state noted for strength, and we stand in need of all three, for we meet in an hour of change and challenge, in a decade of hope and fear, in an age of both knowledge and ignorance. The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds.
source: www.famousquotes.me.uk

3. Addressing the Occasion
example:
Peace Without Conquest (Vietnam) speech by Lyndon B. Johnson - April 7th 1965
Tonight Americans and Asians are dying for a world where each people may choose its own path to change.
source: www.famousquotes.me.uk


Speech styles taken from www.geocities.com
**********************************************************************************************

Cassandra Nicole Romero


Styles of Speech Introduction

1. Direct Approach

example:
Non-violence is the first article of my faith by Mahatma Gandhi
Non-violence is the first article of my faith. It is the last article of my faith. But I had to make my choice. I had either to submit to a system which I considered has done an irreparable harm to my country or incur the risk of the mad fury of my people bursting forth when they understood the truth from my lips. I know that my people have sometimes gone mad. I am deeply sorry for it; and I am therefore, here, to submit not to a light penalty but to the highest penalty. I do not ask for mercy. I do not plead any extenuating act. I am here, therefore, to invite and submit to the highest penalty that can be inflicted upon me for what in law is a deliberate crime and what appears to me to be the highest duty of a citizen. The only course open to you, Mr Judge, is, as I am just going to say in my statement, either to resign your post or inflict on me the severest penalty if you believe that the system and law you are assisting to administer are good for the people. I do not expect that kind of conversion. But by the time I have finished with my statement you will, perhaps, have a glimpse of what is raging within my breast to run this maddest risk which a sane man can run.
source: www.abundantworld.com/famous_speeches.htm#5

2. Quotation
example:
Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God by Jonathan Edwards
"Their foot shall slide in due time" - Deut. 32:35
In this verse is threatened the vengeance of God on the wicked unbelieving Israelites, who were God's visible people, and who lived under the means of grace; but who, notwithstanding all God's wonderful works towards them, remained (as ver. 28.) void of counsel, having no understanding in them. Under all the cultivations of heaven, they brought forth bitter and poisonous fruit; as in the two verses next preceding the text. The expression I have chosen for my text, Their foot shall slide in due time, seems to imply the following doings, relating to the punishment and destruction to which these wicked Israelites were exposed.
source: www.abundantworld.com/famous_speeches.htm#5

3. Vital Statement
example:
In This Place of Horror by PopeBenedict XVI
To speak in this place of horror, in this place where unprecedented mass crimes were committed against God and man, is almost impossible - and it is particularly difficult and troubling for a Christian, for a Pope from Germany. In a place like this, words fail; in the end, there can only be a dread silence - a silence which is itself a heartfelt cry to God: Why, Lord, did you remain silent? How could you tolerate all this? In silence, then, we bow our heads before the endless line of those who suffered and were put to death here; yet our silence becomes in turn a plea for forgiveness and reconciliation, a plea to the living God never to let this happen again.
source: www.historyplace.com/speeches/pope-benedict-auschwitz.htm

Speech introduction styles taken from www.geocities.com












© Copyright 2006 Juan dela Cruz (nikulet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1123982-english