*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1106223-The-Vanishing-House
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #1106223
Short Story/mystery
The Vanishing House

My name is Tommy. Though this story may sound farfetched and hard to believe, it is true.
When I was 16 years old, living in my hometown of Hernando, Mississippi that summer vacation some friends invited me to go camping with them in their new clubhouse.
On Friday afternoon my father took us to the area where the clubhouse was located.
After dark when we were settled we told ghost stories. My friends told me about an old house not far through the woods. It was very old, they said it was haunted. Well I liked stuff like that, so I told them I wanted to see the house. We got our flashlights and walked down a path through tthe woods to a clearing. Comming out of the woods there was a beautifully kept yard. So well took care of and very out of place. Because looking around there was road coming in nor going out. I thought this strange. When I looked up I saw, what at one time was a beautiful southern home. With four large white pillars in front, it was two floors high. Some windows were broke out, the front door was opened up a little.
In the fullmoon it did look haunted. But to me it looked like an old house.
My friends told me to watch. After what seemed to a long time, they pointed to an up stairs window, where I saw a light. I told my friends to stop shinning their flashlights at the window. After seeing their flashlights were not on, I got very curious. The light moved around, which looked like candle burning. I wanted to get a closer look. My friends told me to step into the yard and watch what happens. After both my feet were in the yard my flashlight went out. I knew I had put new batteries in it. Then my friends told me to step back into the woods. Without touching my flashlight it came back on. Then I started getting confused and alittle afraid myself. My told me that happens everytime. I did it once more, then I heard voices coming from the house. At first I thought my friends were pulling my leg, but when I turned to see them they were no longer with me. I heard them running. I figured I had better do the same thing.
Once we were back safe in the clubhouse they told me was why they said the house was haunted.
I decided to go back in the morning. They looked at each other and told me the house would not be there in the morning. Of course I didn't believe them.
When I awoke I went back and to my surprise they were right, the house had vanished. The area it self still looked the same, but no house!?
And this is only the beginning of the story. It gets better. To be continued.
© Copyright 2006 ghostsrunner (ghostsrunner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1106223-The-Vanishing-House