*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1104883-Seeing-things
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by bemadd
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1104883
An excerpt from An Empty Headstone
She took a breath and realized her chest was heaving. The light that was coming in from the green house faded and the kitchen fell into shadow. Nina peered through the windows and blinked several times, but the scene didn’t change. She hadn’t noticed it before, but the foliage of the greenhouse was actually a tangle of brush and trees, woods. That was bizarre, she was sure that it was supposed to be filled with greenery.
Nina opened the door and stepped out onto a wooden patio. She was sure that the floor was concrete before. Frowning, she walked out and across the dirt ground. She didn’t even notice the fog rising from her nose and mouth and disappearing above her head. The normal thick humidity had been replaced by a slicing breeze. Breeze? In a Greenhouse?
There were footsteps crunching on brush and dead leaves. Not the slow even sounds of someone walking, but quick, urgent steps. Someone was running. Nina turned back, and ran up on to the patio platform. But instead of turning the brass handle of the glass paned door, Nina almost pulled open a giant sliding door. Peering through the glass, Nina could see a couch and lamp on dark green carpeting. She had no choice, the footsteps behind her were becoming louder, she pulled with her body weight and slid the door to the side.
Inside the Dibella kitchen the air was feeling thick and heavy. Nina whirled around, sure that a face would appear in the door, but there were only the green plants and bushes, making shadows on the concrete floor as the sun shone through the ceiling.
© Copyright 2006 bemadd (bmaddux at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1104883-Seeing-things