*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090586-Immortality-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Sairah
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Gothic · #1090586
I've been changing this story for the past 5 years and I'm still not happy...
FIVE
So this was what it felt like to be a social wallflower. She was one of them, and yet she still didn’t fit in with what they were doing. People were dancing to the metal band, talking, drinking and smoking, and Sara stood alone from the group just listening. Well, she couldn’t do anything else really. The band was playing at full volume, and she could hardly hear herself think. It was Kittie’s party, and her parents had gone away for the whole weekend. She’d invited all her friends round, thinking it would cheer Sara up, or at least stop her from thinking about her family again. But, it wasn’t working. All she could do was think of ways she could plead with them to take her back. Not that she wasn’t grateful to Kittie for taking her in, but it wasn’t really her scene anymore, and she wanted her normal life back. She missed them; she missed the arguments, the laughter, and everything else that made a family successful. Soon she became lost in her own thoughts.
“Would you like a drink?” someone asked.
Sara jumped, as she never noticed anyone walking towards her, and the sound seemed quite loud over the music. She looked up at the man. He was tall; taller than her father, she thought. He was dressed almost the same as everyone else with a tight grey jumper and black trousers, with a long black coat over the top. His only adornment was a silver pentagram round his neck. At first she was drawn to the sparkle as it caught in the light, as she had never seen anything like it before, but when she looked up she took a sharp intake of breath. His face was pale and smooth, and his soft, silky black hair rested gently on his shoulders. His eyes were like blue crystals, and they were staring at her. For a moment, she became lost in their depth; just looking into them stirred up a feeling she didn’t know she had. She blinked quickly.
“Umm…please…If that’s okay. I don’t want to trouble you, “ she shouted back
“No problem. Come on.”
He took her hand and led her through the group of people and into the kitchen.
It was quieter in here, and she found that that could now hear herself think. But the only thing she could think of was what she was going to say to the man who had just brought her into the room. He handed her a glass of clear liquid. It smelled funny, but she didn’t like to offend anyone, so she just slipped it slowly.
“What’s your name?” he asked, disturbing her thoughts once again.
“Oh, umm…Sara.”
“Nice. You’re new around here aren’t you?”
“Not really. I moved up here about a year ago, and…about two moths ago…I…my…Kittie took me in.”
Kain knew Sara wasn’t willing to talk, and he understood what it was like to feel like one had to keep things inside.
“It’s okay. You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to. I just figured it might help. We’re not all freaks and weirdoes you know. Some of us go deeper than that.”
“Oh no, it’s no problem. I…just…never mind.”
Kain nodded. “Sure. So, what do you think of the rave then?”
“It’s okay I guess. I’ve never been to one before, but I don’t think I’m fitting in that well.”

Sara began to feel embarrassed at the barrage of questions, and after a while, he sensed her discomfort.
“You don’t know that many people do you?”
“I don’t know anyone…well, except Kittie. I mean, I don’t even know your name!”
“I’m sorry, I should have introduced myself before. It’s Ra…umm..It’s Kain. I’ve known Kittie just over two years now, and it is just like her to take new people in.”
Sara was warming to him, and something inside her wanted to open up, and tell him everything about her past, but she still felt uneasy about the situation herself, so she kept her story hidden.
“Yeah, she’s really great. Before, I mean…at my old school, no one really talked to me because I was the new girl. They said I was boring and not worth bothering about. Then Kittie came, and everyone forgot about me. They teased her because of the way she looked, and the way she knew what people were like inside just by looking at them. They said she was weird, but she went mad, and somehow they left her alone. She let me hang out with her for a while, and then I had a bit of trouble with…umm…and she listened anyway, and then said I could stay here. She’s been so kind to me.”
Sara had never spoken so much to a stranger before, and she wondered what he must have been thinking of her. She shifted her eyes uncomfortably, and yet again, he noticed.
The air around them cooled, and yet it seemed like it was only the two of them in that room; sharing a moment that was quite unlike any other chance meeting. Kain felt the cold electricity and shivered. He thought about his mother’s death, and wished she were guiding him to make the right decisions. He imagined he could see some of her in Sra, and strangely, he wanted to tell Sara what he was. Forgetting himself, he replied.
“I know, she cared for me, too. I’d just bought a house down here, and I came to find it. I was searching…err… I mean walking…umm anyway, I was really hungry, and Kittie was walking home from the library and she bumped into me. She took me for a burger of all things!” He noticed her blank look, and he realised what he’d said. He laughed it off uneasily, and said the first thing that came into his head, which couldn’t have been further from the truth.
“I’m a vegetarian,” he said quickly.
“Oh. Oh right.” she replied.

Both of them stared uneasily at each other; both of them knowing that the other was hiding things, and both of them realising that at some time they might have to share their secrets and stories. It seemed inevitable that they would meet again. Staring into each other’s eyes they relaxed, and they could sense the attraction flowing between them. The magic bond that had been released upon their meeting was beginning to take effect. Kain wondered whether she was the one he’d been looking for, and tried to look behind her green eyes. Sara bit her bottom lip, nervous about this situation, and yet intrigued about where it would go. Subconsciously, she moved slightly closer to him, and turned her head up. Kain, lost in the depths of her eyes, and feeling an eerie pull, he followed, and reached out towards her.
The atmosphere was unnatural, and it was as it Kain and Sara were merely puppets controlled by celestial beings. Sara closed the gap between them, and Kain, passionately yet gently, took her lips in his. Neither of them noticed the blue stone in the pentagram glowing. Nor did they sense anyone moving around them. Locked in their own world their hearts raced and beat in unison. Their kiss created an intense vault of passion that could not have been shared by another person. Days, weeks, months and years of eternal heartbreaking flames cursed through their veins and turned to blissful happiness in their moment of cascading sweetness. And, joined together by magical and mystical energy created by compelling bonds of friendship they had started, neither of them wanted to go back.
Then, the party was over. The band had left, so while Kittie was showing people out, the room was deathly quiet. The energy was broken, and reality set it. They sprang apart, realising where they were and what was happening. Thankful for the excuse to move further away, they looked at each other, embarrassed by the previous scene.

Kain was the first to speak and break the silence.
“I’m sorry. That really shouldn’t have happened. I don’t know what came over me.”
“It’s okay. I umm…” Sara’s voice trailed off, and she swallowed, not being able to think of anything to say. Kain reached into his pocket and pulled out a card.
“I don’t know if you want to, but here’s my address. Come round sometime if you like. That is, of course, if you want.” He looked at the clock on the wall. “Oh I’m sorry, We’ve been here ages. You haven’t even had a chance to make any other friends.”
“That’s alright. I’ve made one. I think that might be enough for now.” She smiled, and Kain laughed, inwardly wondering about how much she could deal with when it came to having someone like him as a friend, a real friend.
“So, you’ll come?”
“Yeah, yes I will. Thank you.”
“No need for thanks. I’ll…I’ll see you at seven tomorrow then?
“Sure, I…I guess.”
“Until then…”
“Bye”

Quickly Kain hugged Sara, and then left the kitchen, Sara heard the front door shut, and she breathed a sigh of relief. Taking a large gulp of the fiery liquid in her glass that was still in her hand, she coughed and put the glass down on the side, only to lean against the washing machine to catch her breath. Then, Kittie walked into the kitchen and raised her eyebrows at Sara.
“Had fun?”
“What are you talking about?”
“I saw you with Kain. It’s the talk of the night. What happened?”
“Nothing happened.”
“Liar…”
“I’m not…” Sara saw Kittie’s face, and realised that there was no use lying to her. She smiled. “Thanks”
Kittie was surprised at this change in Sara. “What for?”
“This party was for my benefit. I didn’t really want it to happen, but now I’m kind of glad it did. I just wanted to thank you. I…I’m getting to know people now, and I might just be fitting in after all.”
“You mean with Kain?”
“Maybe…”
“So what’s happening?”
“He invited me round tomorrow night, that’s all.”
“That’s all?! What do you mean, ‘that’s all?! Are you going?”
“I don’t know.”
“I would if I were you. Kain’s a really nice guy, and all he needs is someone like you to bring him out of himself more. There was so much energy between you two tonight. It was like there was some powerful aura surrounding you both, almost like a spell…” She noticed Sara’s face blush even more and trailed off. “GO. And have fun. It'll be worth it in the end. I promise.”
“Yes. Really.”
“Okay. I’ll go. I guess I’m just nervous.”
“Understandable. It’ll be okay. I’ll not wait up for you. Good luck.”
Sara smiled at Kittie. “Thanks again.”
Kittie reached out and hugged her. “No problem”
Sara left the room, and Kittie shrugged her shoulders and followed. She switched the light off as she left, unaware how true her words were.

SIX

Sara walked through the streets towards the edge of the woods, and towards the turn off at the base of the river. She remembered this walk from her time exploring the town, so she also knew how she felt when she walked over last time. But, this time she had a reason for going. Forgetting her fears, she turned off onto the long cobbled path leading up to the large gates. They were slightly ajar, so it was easy for Sara to slip through them. She found herself staring at the two eagles on the posts at either side of the gate, and she wondered how he could have afforded this house. She thought back to the time she found herself here, but ran before he came out.
Carrying on up to the door, she found it was bricked off. She walked around the house, thinking about what might have happened if she’d have seen him then instead of at the party a year later. She found a large, solid oak door with huge black iron bolts holding it to the frame. To Sara, it looked very old; older than the house. Taking a deep breath, she knocked, and waited.
Although she was expecting it, Sara still had a shock when Kain opened the door. His hair was still shiny, and his eyes were still crystallised. Sara was slightly embarrassed by her reaction. He wore similar black trousers to the others he wore at the party, and a dark green jumper, which made the blue stone in the pentagram sparkle even more.
“Hi. You okay?” Kain asked. “Come in.”
Sara stepped inside. “Yeah thanks, I’m fine. You?”
“Not too bad I guess. Umm…kind of tired though.”
Sara blinked for a while, trying to give her eyes time to adjust to the darkness of the hallway.
“Sorry about the lights. I’ve not been able to replace them since the old fittings broke. There are some lamps though.”
“It’s okay. Is…is this your own house?”
“Yeah…I…umm…inherited it from an aunt.”
“Oh right.”
The trivial conversation seemed to dwindle away to almost nothing as they both realised there was something more important to discuss.
“I’m sorry,” Kain apologised. “Umm…come upstairs and sit down. At the minute I only really use the one room.”
Sara followed Kain down the hallway, and took in the strange ornaments scattered on the pedestals against the walls. She stopped when she saw the printing of Bells “Rose” well illuminated above a door to the left. She seemed to remember it from somewhere, but the recollection of it was hazy, and Sara thought that it could have been on a school outing.
“Do you like it?” Kain enquired, making Sara jump as he disturbed her thoughts.
“Its beautiful. The colours, they seem to work really well with the light you’ve chosen.”
“Really? Oh that’s good. I’ve never had much of an eye for decoration. I just needed that picture.”

As they stood by the door, Sara asked the first thing that came into her head.
“Why did you choose the rose? I didn’t see any other pictures as I came along the corridor. Not that I was being nosy or anything I just…”
“It’s okay,” Kain interrupted. “My mother chose it. She’d had one like it for years, and when…umm… anyway, I brought it to remind me of her. You remember Briar Rose? Sleeping Beauty and all that? Well, that’s what people used to call my mother. Her name was Aurora. It symbolised light, sweetness and purity. And although…” he stopped, thinking he was talking too much.
Sara wanted to know. She loved roses; they were so beautiful. “Go on,” she insisted.
“Oh, okay. I’m no gardener, but I know that roses unfold slowly, after tender care, and they are so full of seductiveness and ‘carnality’ with velvet undertones. I love them. They’re so like a human soul in their nature, especially when they have the ability to reincarnate right before your eyes. Then there are the thorns. On the outside, they destroy the beauty of the rose, but on the inside, they keep it alive. It’s the same with people. They might look odd, but, like roses, you need to look behind the awful surface to reach their true nature and see how beautiful they really are. Hidden inside each lonely and sombre little flower is the secret of beauty only a lover can see. Now I really am sorry. You must think I’m crazy; talking all that time and not even looking at you. Please forgive me.”

Kain was staring so intently at Sara with such remorse she blushed, but smiled.
“It’s fine, honestly. I love roses, too. They’re so pretty, and they smell so sweet, and the name just slides off your tongue.” She laughed. “I wish I had a million of them every day. I know I’d never find the room, but I’d still like them.”
“Then, my fair princess, you shall have them” Kain smiled.
Sara blushed again, and they both stood in silence for some moments.
“I must stop apologising, I know, but I am sorry once again. You’ve been here quite a while, and I’ve not even offered you a drink!”
“That’s alright. I’m not really thirsty anyway. I’m more interested in your picture to be honest.”
“You like it that much?”
Sara nodded. “I only think I’ve seen it once, but I can’t remember where, and I was so drawn to its colours and it’s wonders that I still love it now. It’s weird, don’t you think?”
“Not really. It drew me in the first moment I saw it too. Please, come upstairs and sit down. My room’s just up here” he said.
He carried on walking through the door and up the stairs. It was only a short staircase, but it twisted back on itself, and Sara felt a little dizzy. Her brain steadied as she stood on the landing, and she figured that Kain’s room must be the last door at the end; the only open door. Sara was right.
The room was almost empty. A bed occupied the space just to the right of the doorway, and a desk was in a small alcove by the window. Sara noticed that the walls were violet, with different coloured roses painted in all four corners.
“Sorry about this. It’s not much I know, but I’ve managed. I don’t really need material things, just enough to get by.” Kain seemed uncomfortable about his house when Sara was staring around. He didn’t think that she was actually enthralled by this spacious room, and fascinated by the ornaments downstairs. “Please, sit down. It’s much better than standing up all the time.” Kain laughed, and Sara sat down on the end of the bed. Kain took the chair from the desk across the white rug on the floor to face her. Neither of them knew what to say, and the silence ate away at them until Kain spoke.
“Look, about last night. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t stop thinking about it, or you. I don’t know what possessed me to try it, especially since I’d never met you before. But, I do know that I don’t regret it.”

Sara felt awkward at this statement being put forward so bluntly, but there was nothing she could do except reply with the same amount of honesty.
“Well, I…umm…” She took a deep breath. “I feel the same. I’ve never behaved like that before either, but it was like I couldn’t help myself.” A moment passed. “What happens now?”
“I don’t know. I don’t even know you, and you certainly don’t know me. We…we could take some time and start to know each other a little.”
“Yes, I’d like that. But I will tell you that there are things I might not say. It’s not because I don’t want people to know, its just that I don’t really feel ready to tell.”
“That’s okay. Everyone has secrets; its what makes us human. So, what else do you want to know?
Sara thought for a moment, and seemed to be at a loss for words.
“Well, I seem to have a mind block, but it might be nice to know how old you are…”
“Is that all? You can ask me anything you know. I don’t bite…well, not unless you ask me to!” Kain smiled, and the look on his face made Sara laugh. “I’m nineteen. Today, actually.”
“Today?! Why didn’t you say anything yesterday? I’d have brought something!”
“To be honest, I…I wasn’t sure you’d come. And as for bringing something, I’ve never asked for anything that could have been given through obligation. I give and take from the heart, and not because I feel like I have to. I didn’t tell you because I wouldn’t know if you bought me a gift simply because it was my birthday. No offence.”
“No offence taken, I understand. I’m still sorry though.”
“Don’t be. It’s just the kind and sweet person you are to think of others instead of yourself. Now, seeing as we’re sticking with the trivial things. I presume you’re seventeen, right? Same age as Kittie?”
Sarah nodded, and waited to see if Kain would ask her anything else. When he didn’t, and the pause had gone on too long, Sara asked the question that would start the both of them sliding towards a dangerous precipice.
“You said that you inherited this from an aunt. I don’t mean to be rude, but didn’t you mind leaving your family to live here all alone?”
Kain involuntarily held his breath for what felt like a lifetime. To him, asking him about his family meant that he must try to keep his story straight so that there was no chance of anyone catching him out.
“Miss them? Umm…I suppose in a way I did. My mother more than anyone. But you know yourself that sometimes it’s just time to move on. I’m sort of settled here, and Kittie’s been great, so my missing my family hasn’t been that much of an issue. What about you? You live with Kittie, right? Don’t you miss your family?”
“Yes. Yes I do. More than anything. But I can’t go back there when they don’t want me. I’m a failure, and they think it’s better if I stay away from them in case it rubs off on them. I’m sorry; you don’t need to hear that. Tell me more about your family.”
“In time. But please, stop apologising. If it’s there to say, then I’d like to hear it. It sounds ridiculous, but I’d like to get to know you inside out. I’m sorry for being so forward. I just speak my mind.”
Sara looked at the floor. She was clearly embarrassed at his direct behaviour, and couldn’t understand how he could say that. Not only would she complicate his life, and bring so many problems into any relationship they could have, she also knew they’d only met the day before. Sara couldn’t work out how he could feel this way after just one night.
“Okay. My parents thought that I shouldn’t see Kittie anymore, as it reflected on their status. I was all set for medical school, but when we moved I just couldn’t make friends like I used to. When I met Kittie, she made me realise that I should do what made me happy, and my parents didn’t want that. They said she was a bad influence.” Sara shrugged. “They never stopped me from seeing friends before, but this time they did. I can’t thank Kittie enough for taking me in, especially through college and everything, and Devon’s been fantastic, too, but I guess I’m just not good enough for the family anymore.”
Kain held the silence for a while longer. He was falling for her, but he wasn’t quite sure if this was just the undercurrent of desire that consumed his heart speaking, or if it was real. Even so, he didn’t want to pressure her, or tell her anything that might make her leave. Instead, her moved to sit next to her on the bed and smiled at her.
“Don’t put yourself down. I’m sure there are many things that you’re great at, but you just need to have faith in yourself. What are you studying at college?”
“Art. Majoring in flowers of beauty. My final project is death by roses.”
“Sounds good. So you must be good at drawing…”
“No, I’m not. I just draw because I can. There wasn’t really anything I wanted to do besides draw.”
“You’re putting yourself down again. I think you’ll be really good at it. I’ve got faith in you, and I haven’t known you that long. You should have more faith in yourself.”
“I don’t think I can have faith. I’ve never been given any reassurance from the beginning. I was just taught to behave a certain way, and I didn’t know any different. If I don’t feel like anyone else believes in me, then I can’t believe in myself..”
“Well. I do believe in you.”
Kain put his hand on her leg, and it surprised her that she didn’t flinch or stiffen as she thought she would. It also surprised Kain, as he thought she would move away. He moved closer to interlace his feet with hers and leaned closer to her.
Sara’s breath caught in her throat, for she guessed what he was trying to do, but she did’t know whether she wanted it right now. Kain reached round with his other hand and caressed his cheek.
“You are beautiful you know?”
Sara pulled back. Looking at her feet, she muttered. “I bet you say that to all the girls you invite back.”
He lifted her chin and turned her round to face him. “Only those who I really think are beautiful. You must think I’m awful don’t you?”
“No. Just honest, I guess.”
“So you don’t hate me then?”
“Of course not.”
“Good.”
Kain put his hand back on her cheek, and moved the other one through her hair. He kissed her like he had the night before. Sara felt herself fall into his arms as he increased the pressure of his kiss, and he entered her mouth with his tongue. His tongue tasted her teeth, and pushed towards the back of her mouth. Sara kissed him back with the same sense of urgency, not knowing what they were working towards, only knowing that she was falling for him; falling deeper into this world that she’d only read about, not wanting it to end, but knowing that somewhere, something would have to ruin the moment.


SEVEN
?????
EIGHT
Kain walked through the frozen streets towards Kittie’s house to find Sara, while searching for an end to his thirstiness at the same time. For some reason, he was thinking of Sara and the pact he’d made with the elders. He wondered if he could solve both problems at once. Shrugging away the repulsive thoughts as soon as they crossed his mind, he turned his attention to a rabbit that ran across the street, and hastened his steps to catch up with it.
As he turned the corner, he bumped into a young female who was walking very quickly. The girl fell to the floor, scattering her things out of her bag onto the pavement.
“Oh. I’m sorry,” Kain said, extending her hand to pull her up.
“Its okay,” she replied, taking his hand, and then bending down to pick her things up. Standing up, she sung her bag onto her shoulder and dusted herself off. “I should have been watching where I was going.”
Thoughts of feeding vanished from his mind as he looked at this girl. She was tall and blonde, and had the most piercing blue eyes he’d ever seen besides Sara. Thinking of Sara once more, and how her eyes were like diamonds glittering in a sunlit cave, Kain smiled. The girl was even wearing similar clothes to those that Sara would wear, but in colour instead of black: a blue polo neck jumper, and a tartan skirt, with a brown suede bag across her shoulder. He thought of the first time he’d seen Sara standing alone in a corner of Kittie’s house, and how she was wearing exactly the same clothes. He realised he’d loved her from the first moment he’d set eyes on her, and now he knew she was definitely the one.
The girl shuffled her foot slightly, and his attention was drawn back to her.
“No. No, it’s my fault. I had too much on my mind, that’s all. Besides, it would seem that I’m a little stronger than you are.”
She saw a flash of pain in his eyes, and thought it may be because of a past girlfriend. To try and ease his mind, she laughed at this, and in return he smiled politely. At this, she assumed his mind was easing.
“Problems with a girl, eh? That’s what you men have to deal with.”
Kain smiled again and nodded, wishing he could find a way to move her along so he could find Sara. “Well, you could say that.”
“I thought so. She found someone else, is that it? Or she doesn’t want to be with you anymore. Maybe it’s you who wants to end it? Oh well, I’m sure it’ll be over soon. She’ll come to her senses; us females usually do sooner or later.”
‘If only you knew the half of it,’ Kain thought. He smiled a watery smile this time, and noticed that she seemed to be staring at his mouth.
“Oh, I’m sorry, I really shouldn’t be staring, but you don’t look that well. You’re not taking your problems to heart are you? It’s not good to dwell on them.”
Kain sighed inwardly, as he realised that she had no idea about who he really was.
“I am fine, but I suppose I must be taking my problems to heart. I … I like her too much to let her go.”
“Ah, I thought so. Just remember not to over do it because my father did that and he ended up having a heart attack and needed a heart bypass operation and we had to go and visit him everyday and that was most tiresome but…”
She went on and on; rambling with hardly any breath in between. Kain decided to shift his ears and think of Sara again. He wished she would take his advice and be with him, forever. Just then this girl turned her head. The smell of her blood crept up his nostrils and he couldn’t stop himself from licking his lips in memory of his thirst. The girl noticed this, and wondered why he was staring into her eyes like he was, and licking his lips. As she had just been talking about being lonely, she took this to mean that he understood her search, and that he liked her too. She had no idea who he was, but she decided that she had nothing to lose. She felt like she was under some sort of spell; instantly attracted to the stranger who she had told almost her entire life story to.

“The name’s Louisa,” she said, fluttering her eyelashes.
The smell of blood now assailed his nostrils, and he became lost in the aroma of her life. “Hmm…nice name…mine’s Raziel.”
“That’s nice too. It’s rather strange to be named after the dark angel, but I suppose everyone has their differences. I like it. Are you from around here?”
“Oh yes, I suppose I am.”

Sara was walking towards Kain’s house after the upsetting meeting with her parents. She just wished they would take her back without conditions. She thought she missed them, and she thought she needed them, so surely they should feel the same. Still, she had Kain, and whether he was telling the truth or not when he said he loved her, he would listen to her either way. He’d ease the loneliness that was growing inside her.
Sara walked towards the long stretch of cobblestones, and was just about to turn the corner when she heard Kain’s voice. Edging closer to the wall she stopped to listen, and her breath caught in her throat. She was unsure whether he was listening to this girl, but he did sound like he was interested. All her life she’d done what her parents wanted her too, and now, just when she needed the one person who could help her, he was deserting her for someone else.
Sara thought it was her own fault. She couldn’t tell Kain the real reason why she wouldn’t go back to them, and she wouldn’t give her soul up to him as he asked. All he’d done was love her completely, and now she’d ruined it. Loosening the necklace he’d given her, she walked slowly round the corner to face him, and to tell him she wouldn’t stand in his way. What she saw caused her to stop and stare; the tears cascading down her face as she watched her heart being ripped from her chest.

Kain saw Louisa walking towards him. Before he could step back, she kissed him. The smell of her blood was too tantalising, and his thirst was now too strong, so he kissed her back, hard. He heard her moan with pleasure as he moved to her neck. He couldn’t hold back any longer, and he bared his teeth. He bit her neck.
As he connected to her jugular, he heard her thoughts. She thought he was just nibbling, but was uncomfortable at the pressure intensifying. Then he sucked more and more, and she couldn’t work out what was happening, and she was repulsed. He could hear her wishing she’d never taken a longer route home from her trip to the library. He could hear her thinking of herself sat at home just reading about encounters like this; not living the nightmare as she was doing.
He felt her struggle and try to pull away, but he was far too strong. The human blood he’d tried so hard to resist was taking hold, and his vampyric nature was shining through. He sucked harder, fighting against her struggles. He needed the blood; he needed every last drop.
Soon, the blood ceased to flow, and she went limp in Kain’s arms. He dropped her to the floor, and stared at the body. Kain was nauseated by his own actions. He had lost control for the second time, and it was a horrid thing to live with. He could imagine her parents looking for her; calling out her name, and crying many tears for her soul. She’d never believed there were people like him around, and he knew she’d only read about encounters like she’d just had. He thought about how innocent her life had been before he stole it in the vicious manner he had done. Luckily, no one would link this murder to him, but that wasn’t the issue. The issue was that after the last time he vowed never to drink again. Now, he’d lost control for the second time, and this poor girl had suffered the consequences.

Kain’s thoughts were interrupted by a gasp coming from the corner. He looked up in shock, thinking the intruder was someone who would take him away for his crimes. But it was Sara, which, in some ways, was worse. She was staring at him with utmost horror and contempt. She couldn’t possibly realise what it was like for him, so there was no way she’d understand that he’d had to live like this in order to survive. He knew Sara wouldn’t say anything to anyone, but he had to try and explain to her what happened so he wouldn’t damage her further. He also knew she’d think about it night and day, and torment herself with these images of a supposedly fictitious demon horrifically taking a life away for pleasure.

Sara turned and ran, pulling off the pentagram, letting it fall to the floor. Quickly, Kain started after her, but he thought he saw a glowing stone on the floor. Walking up to it, the glowing stopped, and Kain shook his head, thinking it was just his imagination. He recognised it as the one he gave to Sara. He put it in his pocket, and forgot about the glow. He looked back at the wasted body of the pretty young girl. He knew he had to dispose of her body, so he dragged her to the woods. Thoughts of catching Sara were put on hold.
He remembered the tales of the elders where some of them had just left the body in the street for their parents to stumble across. He remembered how they used to laugh when the tale of the murder became knowledge, and they’d offer their condolences. The parents wouldn’t suspect a thing. He also remembered his fathers underground business of body disposing at the undertaker’s office. Kain felt he owed it to this girl and her family to bury her properly; to make peace with both their souls. As he didn’t have any tools, he used his feet to remove the top layer of leaves and soil. He knew there was an old well there, so he kicked a little further until he found the rim. Kain took the lid off, and lowered her down until she landed on the shaft boards. He filled the hole with soil and more leaves replacing the lid and recovering it so no one would know it had been disturbed.
“Errare humanum est. Requiet im pacem. Forgive me, I’m so sorry,” he muttered, walking slowly back to the spot where he’d taken her life away. He touched the floor, and repeated the words again, hoping that all his pain and sorrow was replaced with peace, and that her soul had passed into the light with forgiveness for his evil.
Now that was done, he had to find Sara. He couldn’t let her suffer for his wrong doings, and he didn’t want her to dwell on his pain. Wiping the remaining drops of blood from his mouth, he walked over the hill and stopped at Kittie’s house. Kain walked up the steps and knocked at the door. There was a long silence, and then a slamming sound came from upstairs. He could hear Kittie muttering as she walked down the stairs to the door. The locks clicked, and she looked out.
“Kain, it’s you. I hope you realise that it’s 11 o’clock, and we’ve got be up at four! If you wake Devon up you’ll know about it! Don’t you have any consideration for others!?” Then she saw his face, and softened her tone. “What is it Kain? What’s wrong?”
Kain feigned indifference. “Nothing’s wrong Kittie, what on earth are you talking about?”
“I’m sorry, alright. From the look of your face I just thought something awful had happened that’s all. Are you okay?”
“I’m just looking for Sara, that’s all. Have you seen her?”
“No, sorry. I’ve not seen her since last night, when she went to see her parents. Maybe they’ve taken her back, I don't know. Why?”
“No reason. Umm…I just wanted to find out how it went. Do you know where her parent’s live?”
“Yes, but if you don’t then it’s obvious that she doesn’t want you to know. I really am sorry Kain, but you know how secretive she is. If she wants you to know things she'll tell you. She’ll be back later whatever happens to let us know. Besides, I should imagine you know more than I do.”
“She never told me. She said it wasn’t important.” Rather than press her, as he knew that she would guess that something was wrong, he decided to give up. “Oh well. You’re right. Go back to bed and get some more sleep now Kittie. I’ll see you another time.” To himself, he added, ‘I hope’.
“Well. I’ll try. I only hope Devon doesn’t wake up. I will make her call you if…” she shook her head in error. “When she comes back okay?”
“Thanks Kittie.”
“No problem. Bye.”
“Bye.”
Kittie closed the door and locked it up again. Kain walked slowly back home; terrified that he might have lost Sara forever. He entered his house and made his way up to the attic. He sat at his desk looking at the photo of his mother she’d taken from his drawer.
“I’m sorry mother. I’ve failed. Ever since I was taken from you my life has been filled with pain and evil. Your teachings were full of love, and you showed me to respect life as it comes, but I’ve caused you so much pain at the hands of my promise to your captors that I can only pray to you and your gods that I will see you someday with your forgiveness and blessing. I have only today before this is over, and I wish that that time would come soon, for I cannot make anyone else live the life I have led. I cannot wait for the hours of darkness to embrace me, for then the end will draw near. Sara was led to me, and she was my dearest companion, but I played the game wrong, and she has left me, rather than rejoicing in my near immortality. Mother, I call upon you to work your magic one final time, and give me a sign that she is near to me. Give me a sign that she will eventually surrender her heart to me and become eternally mine, as I gave my heart to her and am eternally hers. My mother, as some unseen deity I call thee.”
Sighing, Kain thought that there was nothing after this life, and his mother had gone. His prayers had gone unanswered, and he would surely die at the hands of the eternally faithless creatures that called themselves elders. He placed the photo back in the drawer, and rested his head in his hands, letting the tears fall on the mahogany surface.

NINE
Sara walked around the town feeling lost and alone after her realisations. She was coming to tell Kain that she’d pledged her heart to him; that she didn’t want her parents, but now it turned out that he’d lied to her about his life, when he’d always taught her to cherish the truth. He was a monster, and he took innocent people’s lives without any morals. This wasn’t the way her life was supposed to have turned out. She was supposed to have been a spoilt rich kid, with many friends, and many parties. Now, she was a confused woman who had lost the love of her parents through the only people who made her feel wanted, and had gained the love of a monster.
She found herself walking towards Kain’s house again, and she also found that she was standing on the same spot where Kain had killed the girl. She knew now that because her parents couldn’t love her for who she was, she couldn’t change and fit into their lifestyle anymore. She didn’t want to think about Kain either, but she had to. What she had seen hurt her more than she had ever felt pain before. She tried to forget the incident, and think about finding her own way in life, but she was drawn back to the image of pure passion in his eyes as he drank someone’s life away.
The images were ripe in her mind: the way he bit into her neck; the way he held his victim closer to him, breathing in the scent of her sweet source of life; the way he looked into her eyes with love and passion as her life ebbed away; and the way his expression changed to one of horror when he realised he’d killed her. She remembered how he ran after her, shouting her name, feeling his need and urgency to share his last secret with her. She couldn’t understand why he would do such a thing, but she knew he almost felt complete when he was doing it. She realised that some unseen deity from the sky had been called, and this was the life she was meant to lead. She needed to be with Kain to do it.

Kain sat at his desk by the window, looking out onto the meadow behind. He noticed the orange glow on the horizon, and figured it was about two hours to sundown. He was thinking about Sara, and how much he missed her. He knew he was beginning to reach her, and that she could love him, if only she believed in herself. Then he thought that her seeing that part of his life he’d kept hidden for so long has now made her leave, and go back to her parents. He thought about the many times he’d spoken to her, comforted her, and helped her when she’d been heartbroken about her parents requests and demands. Now, none of that mattered because he’d scared her away. He watched the glow for another twenty minutes, thinking of seeing the whole scene with Sara in his arms.
He suddenly had a burst of inspiration, and began writing in a notebook in front of him.

Sara headed off the street. She followed the same path he would have done to get home, walking in his imaginary footprints back to his house; playing his role all the way through the woods to the gates of his house. She tried to feel his simultaneous passion, pain and anguish for what he was doing, and tried to understand more about what a life like that could mean.
She paused before opening the gates; she thought about whether or not he wanted to see her, whether she still felt the same after she’d invaded his privacy. Then she decided that she had too much to lose by thinking. She just had to act, so she pushed them open and ran up the cobbled path to the door. The latch on the door was hard to move, but her will and need was greater, and it creaked slightly as she forced them open. However, it was eerily silent, as if the house was waiting for an ultimatum; an end to the pain. She walked up the stairs to the attic, where she knew he’d be. What she heard caused her to stop on the landing and listen.

Kain had stopped writing, and held the book up to read it:
‘In the icy dimness of the northern wastes I pace; unafraid for what I have become. For now, I am desolate in perpetuity, with only my thoughts as a companion, and the desire that consumes my heart. Each night I must yield to its sway, dipping my fangs into my victim’s gullet.
Who am I to rape them of their existence?
I am not the omnipotent deity of men, but a grotesque, and I disgust myself. Still holding dear to my mortal coil, even though it was vanquished long ago. I retain my humanity, my morality, but only in distant recollections. And now, those too have begun to fade away. I have a yearning for her understanding how I despair of this life, and wish for a companion to spend my final days. Sara has passed, and I’ll never yet share another sunset.
I want this fatality to be so. A swift death is a small price to pay for the last fading warmth of love to touch this frozen heart.
And so I want to depart form this world, but please do not shed your sweet tears for me… my soul was dead, long ago.’
Kain sighed, and he put the book on the desk again. His arms dropped to his side, and he closed his eyes before the tears came.

Sara stood in the open doorway, with silent tears running down her cheeks. His passion was still there, and she knew she could still be a part of it. She’d had no idea he could feel like this, but then she’d never asked. Her selfishness had caused her to worry too much about herself, never realising that others may have been experiencing greater pain than hers. All this talk of death made her want to say something, but she was afraid once more. She was invading his privacy, again.
“Kain. I’m here…” she whispered.
Kain whirled round to see a tear-stained Sara in the doorway.
“You…You heard that?”
She nodded. “It was beautiful, but scary. I never knew you felt that way.”
“I’ve always felt it, and I knew about you the moment I saw you. I’m sorry for hiding this from you, but I knew you’d run.”
“Why do you think I ran?!” There was a long silence, so she reached out for him. He crossed the room to take her in his arms and she continued.
“I ran because I didn’t understand. Why do you think I’m here now? I saw the passion in your eyes and I felt your completeness. You never said anyone can feel like that, and I certainly know that I never have. You asked me before to go with you to start a new life. At first I thought you meant for us to leave here, which I just couldn’t do, because I thought I needed my parents. Now I understand that you just mean for me to stay with you, to become what you are, and feel the same as you do. But you never told me why. I’ve figured out what you are and what you want, but…why?”
“I don’t think I can explain well enough. This is a part of my life I’ve kept hidden for the past seven years, ever since I was brought into it. The best thing I can do is to show you this.”
Kain pulled away and walked over to the desk. He took out his photo from the drawer.
“Your… your mother?”
“Yes, that’s my mother.” Kain looked puzzled. The woman in the photo didn’t looklike him at all. “How did you know that?”
“I…” Sara thought for a minute. “I don’t know. It was the first thought that came into my head. Was she…?”
“No. I’ll tell you from the beginning now.
“We lived in a village on a little island. My mother ran a music shop selling harps, marimbas, pianos and things like that. I’m sorry for not telling you these things, but I just couldn’t tell them to anyone. She was a white witch, and she used her witchcraft to instill confidence in the person buying the instruments. She could sing well too”
“But what’s that got to do with who you are?”
Kain paced the floor while continuing
“Well, I was too young to remember all of it, but I do know that I was six years old when I was finally taken to the elders.
“My father was an undertaker, so I suppose I wasn’t really lying when I told you about the satanic sect I was brought up in. He worked in the centre of the village, and had some well-respected clients there. Everyone knew who they were, and there was never a wrong word said against them. I knew they were evil, but they never let on, and any attempts to find out by following them always led to dead ends. When they took me under their wings, I began to act like I just believed they were nasty lecturers. I was a child, and they taught me lessons like any normal tutor would, but I still knew that it was wrong.
“Years later, I found out that because my father ran the funeral parlour, he made extra money by burning victims from the clients. They were murderers; they found pleasure in their killing. I suppose that in a way, I behave just like them at times, especially when you saw me. Sara, I’m so sorry for you having to see that. I was never going to hide it from you completely, but I had to be sure you’d love me no matter what. Also, I always vowed never to lose control like that, and with you being there, I don’t know if I can forgive myself.

© Copyright 2006 Sairah (sairah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090586-Immortality-Part-2