*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. THE GRILL
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/860105-Kismet/cid/204078-THE-GRILL
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by daydah
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Melodrama · #860105
Mystery, romance, love, intrigue,destiny, all this in Kismet!
This choice: Turn around and respond to the person  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

THE GRILL

    by: daydah
Before she had turned completely she knew who the person was. Kola Olateju. For a second she wondered who would have invited the odious snob, then it hit her: Travis. She drew in a deep breath as She saw Travis had magically appeared on the other side of the blonde on Kola’s arm.
“I think I’ll assist my cousin in finishing the pleasantries,” he said, “Like how are you doing and thank you so much for coming.”
She smiled at him and his face froze at the message he got from her eyes.
“Sorry for the lapse,” she apologized. “It’s been happening all evening as I find out that virtually everyone knew about this party except me.”
“It wouldn’t have been a surprise if you had known,” the blonde said as she assessed Adel from head to toe. Adel was used to this, as she had endured all that in school, as almost all her friends were guys with girlfriends most of the time. By the time she had turned nineteen, there was no stare, racist, leery, hostile or assuasive that could lower her self – esteem anymore, no matter what she was wearing.
“You are quite right,” she agreed, adding as she offered the blonde her hand, “I’m Adel Fidel.” who took it and replied, “I’m Alison Fairbanks.”
“The same Alison Fairbanks the model?” she asked, pretending it wasn’t obvious.
“Yes. The same.”
“My,” Adel exclaimed, noting that she had annoyed Kola again. “You look even better in the flesh!”
Alison laughed self-consciously and muttered a ‘Thank you’. Obviously Kola thought to make her jealous, or even regretful, by bringing a model to her birthday party, but she had acted impressed and indifferent instead. She saw Mamafi, in the archway she had vacated, trying to get her attention so she excused herself and made her way back towards the elegant woman.
Why Travis had invited him Adel could not imagine, but she would wring it out later, when it was payback time. Adel was sure she had told Travis about the wife and children Kola had deserted in Nigeria three years ago, before meeting her and trying to tag her and him as an item. What he didn’t know, couldn’t know, was that his wife, her long – lost childhood friend, had asked Adel to keep being the unknown spy on her wandering husband. Adel wasn’t about to let the Press or anyone else tell the wife that she had taken over from her as Kola’s wife instead. The fact that Adel rejected his advances put her on the wrong side with him however. Adel didn’t care.
“Is something wrong?” Adel asked, as she got within earshot of Mamafi. She just smiled back. Mamafi was five feet eleven inches tall but didn’t reach her husband’s chin. How she had retained her slim figure after four children was not so much of a mystery. Adel had seen Mamafi’s side of the family and knew that they were all like that. The woman’s brown eyes were looking Adel over with approval. She had had the purple ball gown Adel was wearing handmade from Greece and was responsible for the hairdo and make up as well.
“I just wanted to ask how you were faring,” she replied.
“Do you know who I just greeted?” Adel asked heatedly. With Mamafi she was truly herself.
“Let me guess. Kola” Mamafi replied, with the ‘Kola’ coming out as ‘Cola’.
“Yes,” Adel muttered fiercely. “And someone will have to pay for that!”
“Please promise me the next ceremony wont be Travis’ funeral,” the woman pleaded.
“I will try,” Adel replied, keeping a straight face for about three seconds before she grinned back at her.
“Has Mum called?” she asked.
“Yes she has,” Adel replied. “She went into her ‘You must be married before your next birthday’ speech again.”
“And?” Mamafi prompted.
“I escaped,” Adel assured her.
“How did you escape?”
“I gave Ope the phone and told him Mum wanted to speak to him,” she replied. “Then I told Mum Ope wanted to speak to her.”
“You cannot run forever, you know,” Mamafi said quietly. “At your age I was carrying Charlie.” Charlie was the last boy before Fiona. The others were Finn Junior, and Frankie. Mamafi always said that after Charlie, who was the biggest of them, she had to take a rest before continuing her search for a daughter. Charlie was about six years older than Fiona was.
“I will not be forced into marriage until I feel I am ready,” Adel said quietly.
“No one is trying to force you into marriage,” stated Mamafi. “We all love you too much for that. Its just that we think its time you settled down with a human being, instead of the career you seem so comfortable with. If you don’t watch out, the other joys of life will pass you by before you know it.”
She glanced at Mamafi to make sure she was serious. She was. She didn’t know what to say in reply.
“Tony said to tell you to come to the stage, everyone’s waiting for you,” Jamie, one of her Fidel cousins said, as he hugged Mamafi from behind, making her squeal. He was so tall, even Mamafi was looking, no, straining up to look at him.
“Thank you Jamie,” she replied, the added. “Thank you, Mamafi. I know you mean well.”
She walked to the entrance, surveyed the crowd, drew in a deep breath and began walking the path that the crowd had created in the middle. She glanced around and smiled brightly. What Mamafi had said, and the way she had said it was threatening to make her squeeze her brow in deep thought. Had it really gotten to that stage? Did she look so contented with her job? Is that what everybody thought?
“Lets give a hand of applause to the celebrant!” declared her Fidel cousin, Tony, who was the M. C. of the occasion. If she had wanted anyone to be the master of ceremonies at her birthday, it would have been Tony. He possessed an aura of liveliness that never failed to carry everybody along.
After the clapping subsided, she looked around at the crowd and smiled brighter. Talking into the microphone Tony had placed into her hand, she thanked everybody again for coming.
“Thank you all for attending this girlfriend’s birthday party. Your presence alone is enough to assure me I’m not an island. You all make up a giant jigsaw puzzle that remains just one piece in the middle to be complete right now.”
Then she paused for effect before asking, “Won’t anyone ask me what that piece is?” Several people obliged her and asked.
“The piece is me!” laughing anyway at her feeble attempt at a joke. “Thank you again. I wish all the things you wish me!”
She turned to give Tony back the mike, and he said quickly, “That’s funny, coz, I thought the missing piece was your boyfriend.” And she watched as the crowd exploded with laughter. She kept her smile in place, and turned to leave the stage, when he added, “Not so fast, Adel, we haven’t given you your surprise yet,” adding as he turned to the crowd, “Have we?” and he got his answer – shouted ‘No’ from them.
She turned around in resignation. Whatever it was, she wanted it over with so the people could start dancing and then she’d be able to escape to her apartment and put her feet up, or even, soak up in a good bath for at least three hours.
“Fiona,” called Tony. “Could you help us blindfold Adel? Thank you.”
She stood rigid as her little sister tied a black handkerchief around her eyes. If Tony went too far she was going to get him.
“Adel’s surprise, could you please step out for everyone to see?” Tony said.
The surprise was human.

You have the following choice:

1. Why would she be wanted on stage? For the crowd to sing?

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 daydah (UN: adella at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
daydah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/860105-Kismet/cid/204078-THE-GRILL