*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1942914-The-Wandering-Stars/cid/3224209-Familial-Confessions-Part-4
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1942914
A secret society of magicians fights evil--and sometimes each other.
This choice: Continue  •  Go Back...
Chapter #20

Familial Confessions, Part 4

    by: Nostrum
"Venom-inflicted septic shock with gangrenous necrotization. That was the official cause of death. I knew Maribella would seek that creature – the basilisk – at its nest," Dr. Gustavo continued as he noted Jeff's look of realization. "She hoped her powers would be enough, though she took her precautions. Her intention was to use her prodigies to lure the creature into capture, with two associates close in case things went sour. As Maribella approached it, the creature used its gaze and paralyzed her. By the time the associates reacted, it was too late – a single bite, fast as lightning."

Mireya felt another tinge of sorrow as the doctor told his tale, but tried to hide it from the young man.

"The associates brought her back here quickly. I had dealt with previous patients that were infected, but seeing her as one of the victims was too much. We did everything in our power – she used her prodigies to stave off the subsequent infections, to keep herself alive and alert, while I analyzed the process in real time. All she could do was delay the inevitable. The board of directors decided to keep her infirmity under wraps from everyone, including her family – however, as you may have heard from Mireya, she was already in the know. The doctors barred her from entering, but I knew Maribella needed to see her one last time."

"That’s when she told me that she’d rather be dead than see me dead." Mireya finally broke her silence, though her semblance seemed stronger than usual.

"I allowed them to share those last moments," the doctor continued. "I gave them their privacy, and when the doctors questioned my intentions, I said something that echoed a lot of what you said. I knew there was nothing else to do; the last thing I’d deny Maribella was to share with her daughter one last time. Domingo, her husband, traveled to meet her as well."

"I never saw Papi as devastated as he was that day. My ties with him began to break after that."

"Why?" Jeff asked.

The doctor leaned upon the desk. "Because of her decision, Mr. Harrison."

"I told you I’d become the best damn hunter after Mami died. That I’d find a pure sample, or the creature itself."

"And those samples would be used by me to create an antivenom," the doctor added. "However, despite five pure samples, at maximum potency, and dozens of attempts, I’ve yet to find anything but a treatment to prolong the victim’s..." He hesitated, unsure of the word. "...probability of remaining alive. However, the venom is too insidious; the longest-lasting patient was Dr. Aristizábal herself, and she lasted less than a week. I can keep them alive for a day afterwards if the treatment is placed immediately, but--"

"I tried to keep my decision hidden from Papi," Mireya said. "He knew what Mami did, knew all the good she could achieve from it, and decided not to interfere. She informed him because of the danger it represented; as soon as that loup-garou attacked me, they had a big fight. Papi and Mami loved each other, but that made them grow a bit distant. He regretted that she was so bold to solve everything herself, even going to the source of the problem, but she said she was the only one that could do it."

The doctor and Mireya took turns explaining in tandem. "Her training was exceptional, Mr. Harrison – as I’m sure the same must be happening to you. She was well-versed in modern medicine, a brilliant prodigy that earned my respect and loyalty, and also in many forms of alternative medicine. Many of the medical workers in this facility practice holistic medicine because of her discoveries – sifting what worked from what didn’t. I took over that part of her research, as I’m also fascinated with the multiple variables that comprise the medical arts and sciences, though my focus is of a technical bent, rather than her folk applications. Despite not being Kenandandra, she had the mind of one – though a more instinctive approach to research."

"I couldn’t say about that." Jeff took a deep breath and shifted in his seat. "I ... kinda get things."

"Not all Kenandandra see and understand things the same way, Mr. Harrison. And you don’t need to be guided by Kenandandra to analyze and understand things. Dr. Aristizábal astonished me with her findings, but I could discover more to them. She found them, by pure instinct. I refined them."

The doctor stood and moved around the table.

"I may see cases as puzzles to be solved, but that doesn’t mean I don’t get affected by them," he said. "Quite the contrary. By solving these difficult cases, I can achieve breakthroughs that will make the work of others far, far easier; prevent more senseless deaths." He turned towards Mireya with a heavy gaze. "Prevent others from making sacrifices to do so."

"I ... see." Jeff averted his gaze. "By the way ... sorry about claiming you were a monster."

Dr. Gustavo laughed. "I’ve heard worse. No need to worry, though; I definitely understand your worry. As I said, I wouldn’t delve into this line of research if there wasn’t a way to reverse the ... let’s say, ‘petrification’ condition, and my priority now is to achieve that. Your father is safe and sound, by my reckoning; once we find a way to free him, he should be in pristine condition. Unfortunately, without understanding exactly what provoked this condition, I cannot do much. From what I can understand, it’s related to whatever made these masks."

"Yeah, well..." Jeff groaned. "Can’t do much with that. All I know is, it’s related to a book, and I don’t have it."

"Which would mean that finding the book is paramount. I heard, however, that you briefly held access to notes that would, somehow, duplicate the process?"

Jeff slumped further in his seat. "Uh ... yeah. F-for a moment. Frank and Joe took everything, sent it to ... the archives?"

The doctor cackled. "Then I’ll guess I’ll have to brave a call to Mr. Carnes. Perhaps the notes could bring some light into how to reverse this condition. I hazard, though, that it’ll take replicating the cause in order to fully understand it. I’d prefer finding the book before making this attempt, but for purposes of expediency, starting to analyze the cause in parallel would be the best course of action."

Jeff nodded, though his expression showed uncertainty.

"Well," he said, "I guess, if it’s kept between two people... I wouldn’t like that to happen, but I also have to consider the possibility that the book will never be found--"

"Don’t lose hope, Mr. Harrison. The book will be found. Your father will be returned to normal. What I propose is merely that one thing doesn’t have to follow the other – that you don’t have to rely on finding the book in order to save your father."

"Yeah, I get you. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop looking for the book, though it shouldn’t be on anyone’s hands."

"Not even those of the firm? Or do you mean it shouldn’t be on the hands of anyone who’s not capable?"

Jeff thought a moment before saying, "The second one."

"Would you consider me a capable hand? Who would you trust with it?"

Dr. Gustavo’s interrogation struck deeply into Jeff’s psyche, causing him to doubt. "I... I dunno."

"If it helps, neither do I. As long as we trust no one in our firm will abuse of it, however, it’ll be in the most capable hands." Patting Jeff’s shoulder, the doctor finished his brief interview. "I won’t take any more of your time, Mr. Harrison. Thank you for coming."

"Y-yeah. And... Thanks for telling me my dad’s alive."

"I may not be Dr. Aristizábal, but I understand the importance of providing people with some relief. I’ll do everything in my power – figuratively and literally – to restore your father. Now..." Dr. Gustavo pointed at the door, "if you may?"

With a tense yet grateful shake of hands, Jeff left the doctor’s office; though he prompted Mireya to follow suit, she remained, arms crossed and intimidating. "Anything wrong, Ms. Guillén?" the doctor asked.

"Yeah." Mireya’s response was cold. She stepped between the door and the doctor, pinning him with her gaze. "You said that, if you knew what caused Jeff’s dad to be petrified, you’d have used it on Mami."

"If that could have saved her life ... I would."

"Would you have told me?"

"I would’ve done the same I did to Mr. Harrison," the doctor replied coolly.

Mireya, however, wasn’t satisfied. "I know when you’re lying, Dr. Gus. You’d have done that to Mami and then tried to convince me that it was the best."

"Because it is the best option, Mireya. The difference, though, is the moment. If the only way I knew to save her was to place her in that hard, stony shell? I wouldn’t hesitate. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t find a way to bring her back."

"That means you’d abuse its power."

The doctor baffled her with a cryptic remark. "But then, you’d stop me, right? I only wonder how..." He pointed at the door, unfazed. "Think about that on your way back. Now, if you may...?"

The words of Dr. Gustavo stuck in Mireya’s mind as she met Jeff and took a ride together. Showing him the sights of Santiago would ease her soul, but it would remain at the corner of her mind. Would the doctor have petrified her mother, in a vain attempt to save her, even if he didn’t know how to turn her back? And worse...how would she stop someone who held her mother in his grasp?

Soon, she understood Jeff’s fear even more. For though his father’s fate was known, his mother’s was yet to be revealed...

You have the following choice:

1. Continue

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Nostrum (UN: nostrum777 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1942914-The-Wandering-Stars/cid/3224209-Familial-Confessions-Part-4