*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/983810
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #582527
Information and discussion related to the world of SHAMROCK, both present and past.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 10, 2004 at 12:06am
"Novel" Ideas
 (This message was edited by starleafgirl on 12-10-04 @ 2:16 am EST)

here's a novel idea...don't make dumb puns? hehe.

Anyway, dumb jokes aside, with my new Upgraded Membership from an anonymous donor (who has my upmost thanks), I've shirked schoolwork once again to pursue a rampant idea in my head.

I always wanted to make Shamrock Novels, and now, technically, I can. At least, until the membership wears out (which will probably be before I can get a single novel out...). In any case, I made a list of forthcoming novels.

In order of first to last, here are my novel ideas (they're all working titles, btw):

1. Kat's Continued Adventures (13+)

It'll be a chronicle of Shamrock's fight to keep two seperate demonic forces from enslaving/destroying the planet. The prodigal son Malevo is forming a growing cult of demons around him that want to destroy the planet. Lord Diadahm, ancient source of all evil, just wants to enslave it. How kind. (sarcasm there, folks.)

2. Katerine & Michael before the Great Disaster (18+)

The Great Disaster was the end of the world Pangaia; it thrusted survivors into an age of despair and chaos. Before that, however, the members of Shamrock grew up and lived in Pangaia. This novel will switch points of view from Katerine to Michael and back again however many times it takes. It's designed this way because their stories are deeply intertwined. I might have to make two such novels of this type since it's 100 maximum entries per novel. Due to scenes (not many, mind you) of excessive gore and abuse, I've rated this item 18+. Guest Stars: Angelo, Xavior, Lucius.

3. Angelo before the Great Disaster (18+)

Angelo was the villain in the Katerine & Michael novel, so I'd love to take readers through his life from his point of view and help them to understand how Angelo went from maniacal tyrant to trustworthy, though gloomy, member of Shamrock. Due to many more scenes of violence, gore, abuse, and psychological abuse, I've rated this item 18+. I think people can handle it, or I'd rate it GC. Maybe my reviewers will help me out with this when they review it. Guest Stars: Katerine, Michael, Sarra.

4. Xavior before the Great Disaster (ASR)

I originally had Circe's scheduled here, but upon thinking on it further, due to the dark nature of Angelo's novel, I think I'll put Xavior's here. There is one "sad" incident in his past, but other than that, Xavior led a charmed life compared to the rest of the Shamrock novel's stars I've described thus far. There's no violence, gore, or any sort of abuse. :) Therefore, it's rated ASR. Although, I doubt younger readers would get into it; as all the Shamrock novels go, the reader has to have some sort of prior vested interest in the characters. Guest Stars: Nefertini, Katerine, Michael, Emili, Sarra.

5. Circe before the Great Disaster (GC)

Circe grew up in an average aristocratic family, became the equivalent of a bellydancer, rose to the top of the social ladder (at least for her class), seduced the Enperor, assassinated him, and established herself as her people's first Enpress. Until further notice, this novel is GC. I'm unsure of the exact distinction between 18+ and GC, but I can't get into specifics here. There is a lot of violence, abuse, killing, murder, political intrigue, assassination, global politics, and all around cruelty and hatred. There's also love, children, bonding, and uhh coupling (lol). There's also slave ownership and class-based discrimation, so if the concepts offend you, stay away from the Res-naken Enpire. Guest Stars: None scheduled at this time.

6. Sarra before the Great Disaster (13+)

Circe's novel ends near the end of the world (the oncoming Great Disaster) and with her meeting Sarra and the others. In this novel, the reader is taken back to see how things got to this point. Sarra saw in a dream that she had to assemble the chosen people in the Phrophecy of Shamrock (an prophecy about a multi-racial organization formed at the world's twilight). Never well-respected by her own people, she soon gains much recognition. Sacrificing personal fame for her duty, however, she sets out in a race against time. An epic journey chronicling how Sarra brought the members of Shamrock together before the end of the world. A minor incident of violence, though I won't say when, and threats of more, so I rated it 13+. Overall, though, one of the more "friendly" novels. Guest Stars: all the members of Shamrock.

7. Connor before the Great Disaster (18+)

Now that the reader's met all the members of Shamrock, I'd like to focus in on one in particular: Connor. The Nemahian kingdom was forged out of oppression and sacrifice by noble individuals; not-so-noble aspirations lead to its downfall. An insidious plot brews in the castle, but I won't give anyway any spoiler details. A pseudo-sci-fi tale of true love, loss, death, fun, brotherly love, betrayal, racism, revolution, resistance, environmental harms, cult behavior, corruption, the seductive power of evil, and the lies society sells itself. Features nudity, though I don't go into any anatomical details. The Kingdom of Eden, with its center being the city Atlantis, was both an enlightened society of freedom and a starchly repressive one. Guest Stars: Lucius, Shana, Orion, Emili, Katerine.

7.5 The Rat and the General (GC)

I can't say who's perspective this story is written from except to say that it's written from the point of view of the main bad guy in Connor's novel. Thus, it carries many of the same themes + psychological terror. This one, however, also has scenes of all manner of abuse and oppression since the person was a slave in the Resnaken Enpire. This novel will feature Nemetorius (Connor's grandfather) as he leads the rebellion against the Resnaken and fights for the survival of his people in the harsh desert on their way to the promised land. This slave was called "the rat" (shlka) by the Resnaken people. I guess a more literal translation would be "disgusting small burrowing scurrying cowardly furred creature that feeds off the remains of the dead by vomiting ooze consisting of digestive enzymes then consuming the partially-digested product" but, come on, you get the point with "rat," hehe. I better not say much more than that, or you'll guess something important. In any case, the reader gets to see how the doomed Kingdom of Eden was formed.

8. Ancient Egypt (unrated)

Finally, something back in OUR world, eh? After reading (well, I hope the reader's read most of the prior novels!) the previous novels, he/she will finally come to some understanding of the members of Shamrock and, hopefully, have a favorite character besides Kat (lol). With your favorite character in one hand, and your knowledge of the Old Races in the other, and whatever you know of ancient Egypt in your third hand (*snicker*), join me in exploring an alternate history of ancient Egypt, one of the oldest, most famous advanced civilizations our planet has ever known. Wow, sounds pretty good. I hope I can live up to expectations, hehe, because honestly I don't have much thought up for this one yet. I'd love if anyone could share their knowledge of ancient Egypt (and its gods) with me!

9. 5 Major Extinctions (unrated)

http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/spot_massextinctions.htm

There have been five mass extinctions in our history, not just the dinosaur one, and according to some there's a sixth one going on right now (carried out by human beings). When I learned of this fact in biology class last Semester, I was shocked. Five? Five, I thought. Sad how the possibilities of mass extinction excited me enough to decide that, if I could, I'd fit it into my alternate history that the demons were directly responsible for at least one. So, I was thinking, if I could arm myself with details of the specifics, I could create a novel with compelling imagery of prehistoric times (and dinosaurs, oooooooo), but at the same time put some good old fashioned demon-ass kicking in! Now that the reader's been exposed to my take on ancient Egypt, just one of the many ancient civilizations Shamrock influenced, I wanted to take readers to much different times, with Shamrock members that aren't as experienced at their job of keeping demons at bay. It's kind of like seeing your favorite superheroes when they were just teens and just coming into their powers (remind you of any TV shows in particular? hehe) although I should forewarn that the members of Shamrock don't age, so they'll look the same. Like I said before, I hope my readers all have one or more favorite characters by now that aren't a human named Kat! Hehe.

I was thinking that the first mass extinction was caused by the changing composition of gases in the atmosphere (plants that had evolved in a certain climate couldn't adjust to the new one), the second one was caused by whatever our history books say it was caused by, but the other three (250 mya, 213 mya, and of course the famous 66 mya) were caused by massive battles between demons, Shamrock, and the Big Red Man himself (no, not santa claus! Lord Diadahm). Though Shamrock ultimately wins the day, they learn an important lesson about the stress a planet can withstand. They also learn that Lord Diadahm, as a true god, is a timeless being. So, even if they kill him "now," that doesn't stop him from existing in the future or the past. Confused? It's an abstract concept, I know, but an important one.

10. NeoAtlantis (unrated)

Ever wonder why the ancient Atlantian civilization is refered to as having large crystals for power sources and, as a total coincidence, I developed my idea of the Kingdom of Eden (at the time called Atlantis due to my affection for ancient civilizations) as having large clean-burning, renewable energy crystals as their power source? I do. I wonder all the time. It's really freaky. But rather than dwell on the psychological issues (as in, maybe at an early age I heard that crystals could theoretically be used for power or whatever), I decided to create this story. See, just before the Great Disaster, the technologically advanced Nemah civilization used their technology to save people of all races (except Resnaken, but they invited themselves anyway!).

NeoAtlantis is a floating continent that, because of its position in the air and protective forcefield (and confiscated time-travel technology), survived the violent forming of the earth and moon as we know it. The time-travel technology was able to be used only once due to the fact that most documents pertaining to it were destroyed. It had been thrust forward in time to at least 15,000 B.C., possibly further back than that, and has evolved its own culture. It is, however, also the island/continent refered to in many legends. Plato himself only observed a settlement of survivors of a now-submerged Cyprus island.

Survivors, I say? Well, you see, the Children of Dark Promise (read: the anti-Shamrock endowed with demi-godly might and time travel abilities), targeted NeoAtlantis and Shamrock as congregations of Old Races that needed to be destroyed before they could go against their Father's (Lord Diadahm, who else) will and conquer the earth. And in their initial assault they sabotaged the systems that kept the continent afloat. Just where it lands, I haven't yet determined. I'm researching the most widely-believed theories on that first.

The novel starts out on a happy note, with Shamrock discovering a bit of the world they thought they'd lost long ago. It's especially joyful for Connor, who discovers not all of his people were turned into super-powerful proto-vampires (there you go, I bet you were wondering if I was going to touch the vampire issue, hehe!) by the virus released into the air during the Great Disaster.

On side notes, the great flood(s) recorded in lore are the result of the sinking of the continent (if I can find historical references on just when the biblical event is estimated to have happened).

The members of Shamrock think their lives as defenders of the world are over, and that they finally get to settle down and live normal lives, but an insidious plot (gosh darn those insidious plots!) by a new threat (the 13 members of zX@nuX3nuX!zz0 -- tentative name lol -- a.k.a. the Children of Dark Promise) shatters their dreams of peace and serenity. Dutifully, they don the roles of heroes once again to save the homeland they never knew they had but now love.

13. The Tower in South America (unrated)

Warning, just a bit based on the history presented by the Mormon book. ;) This novel takes place somewhere between 100 B.C. and 100 A.D., a crucial turning point in our (humanity's) history, otherwise we wouldn't have put a 0 year in there somewhere, eh? Hehe. I saw an article (or was it just a website?) on an ancient tower in South America that's believed to be the same one mentioned in the Mormon book. Ancient towers now submerged below lakes are ALWAYS interesting to me, so I started to come up with a different sort of story for Shamrock to play a part in. This novel's ending is bittersweet, for the good guys win but at a very high price that, time tells, the group cannot bare. They become disillusioned and thus our recent 2000+ years of history without very many references to magics and gods and demons begins. Michael goes to England, Erik to the Norse world, Circe to China, the mer-children to live in normal families in pre-colonial Native American families [I'm thinking one of the many Algonkian tribes (like the Delaware) for anyone who's interested, rather than one of the pueblo indians (among them the Hopi) of the west or the more warlike tribes like the Iroquois and Huron or the raiders/adaptors like the Cherokee and D/N/Lakota], and other members to other places. I don't want to mention too many of them, though, or I might spoil something for someone. ;)

14. Lost Eons: A collection of short stories

So, thus far, we have a few mass extinctions, the last ice age, the Atlantis legend, ancient Egypt, and the turning of B.C. to A.D. events that were going on at the same time in a different part of the world as early monotheism was being born, and present-day adventures. Doesn't sound like much when one lists it like that, eh? The Lost Eons series will consist of an ongoing collection of assorted tales taking place at various points in history. With each entry a timeline will be included so that the reader can keep track of what happens when. The first entry will be an enlightening tale of pitch black (*snicker*) taking place directly after the Great Disaster. What these people had to endure, you won't believe! It's my attempt at writing a story based entirely in the dark (well, for the most part).

After the Great Disaster, as the two worlds coalesced into what would one day be the moon and the earth, SHAMROCK ended up in a pitch-black forest mysteriously supplied with breathable air. While the rest of the planet was in evil, chaotic flux (the constant volcanic eruptions, spewing of greenhouse gases, etc, just look it up under early Earth history, hehe), this large forest was filled with trees, dirt, and demons. The worst part? Every single demon sees your heat signature, and your eyes weren't meant for pitch-black, unlike theirs. It's a constant struggle for survival until the members of Shamrock, almost destroyed, are rescued by an ancient demon society of blue-skinned elf-like demons (can anyone say Drow? lol). These demons worship their own nameless goddess and are both intelligent and friendly, distinguishing them from the rest of the primitive demons roaming the Earth tearing each other (and anything else that gets in their way) apart for food.

I plan to reveal it as the ultimate irony that so early in their inception, the infant Shamrock organization (they didn't have a leader picked out, they didn't really know how to survive in such harsh conditions yet, etc) was almost destroyed BUT was rescued by *demons!* Even more mysterious, their technologically-advanced civilization resembles the Kingdom of Eden. This entry ends with genocide, but also with a brave people's hope intact. This entry is a prologue to the FutureKingdom trilogy.

15. The Crows (GC)

I hope I'm not going to totally step on someone's copyright with this idea, hehe. I mean, I was a fan of the TV show and, well, I've also learned some stuff about the dark ages, midieval centuries, and the Black Plague. During the dark ages entire communities were wiped out while other patches of land were left completely untouched by the Plague; that much is established historical fact. In my alternate history entry about the Crows & the awful plague, two human beings deeply in love are kidnapped (by who else but powerful demons working for their Lord and Father), empowered, and tortured till they hardly resemble themselves. They are then released upon Asia to recruit people for their armies. Some of those people who supposedly died from the Plague (carried by rats and fleas, sure, but originating from these pair of Crows) rise again, climbing out of the mass graves, and joining the Crow Army. In my understanding of history, the plague came from Asia to the Black Sea region where traders carried it on ships from port to port, and it proceeded to kill a lot of people (to understate it) there and in Europe. In my alternate history, the dark ages (called that for a general lack of the written word) were marked by not only the Plague (what our historians have picked up on) but by the terrible Crow Army that spread death and destruction and disease. Shamrock reassembled to fight the threat at the urging of the mysterious Orion, who they've met a few times before. Despite being vastly outnumbered, Shamrock won out through pure skill (and the fact that they're immune to the bubonic plague), and crushed the hordes. Subsequent outbreaks of the plague were caused by either unrelated incidents or minor pockets of Crow resistance. After winning the day, Connor mysteriously disappears; later, it's revealed that he was taken captive. Another pitch-black chapter in his history is just beginning...and I'll probably put it in the Lost Eons collection at some point, with a GC or higher rating (just imagine every horrifying thing they could do to him, and they did it AND more). I can't put details up on what they did to him here, obviously, due to their graphic content. I put this so far past the other "alternate history" novels because I'd like people to get a feel for other things before returning to the core Shamrock group and how they're dealing with the loss of one of their own (back in the Tower novel...was that a spoiler? If you're reading this right now, you deserve one, lol).

17,18,19. FutureKingdom (a sci-fi trilogy)

Go to the folder titled this in my port. Warning, 18+ content. A war story's in there, too.

16,20,21. DarkEarth (a dark fiction trilogy)

Go to the folder titled this in my port. Warning, GC content. Really, really GC content (for a simple sample that isn't even the worst of it, see the first paragraph in my DarkEarth folder item description). But what did you expect, when the world is ruled by blue-skinned elf-like Children of Dark Promise demons? Humans are their playthings, in many ways. I think I can say this here...the youngest of the organization of demons (there's a phrase you never want to see) Xathirawyn has a huge swimming pool of a red-colored, naturally produced substance, hint, hint. You could say I was excising my dark/vampiric side when I came up with the concept for this.

And wow! I'm done! Done, I say! It took me over four hours to write all that out, you know? Done! Hehe. Just imagine how much work writing the actual novels will be... >.< I don't even get into ALL the ideas I have during the course of the novels, since I like to leave some surprises for folks!

Questions? Comments? Please, do write/post! :) ...cry, no one probably read this all, lol. If my series ever gains as much popularity as Star Trek, though, you'll bet people will be reading this far!

As a side note, Nemah is pronounced "Neh-mak" and is partially based on the Dragon Ball Z racial name for those green people (I'm a big fan of Piccolo). It's also based on the fact that it spells Hamen backwards. It's also partially based on the fact that the people of Ham were those that God rejected (I went to a Catholic school for grades K-5, okay?? lol) and Hamen can be seperated to be Ham men. Note that I don't know much about the biblical references but I have heard that some people use this to justify racism and my Nemah people have black-colored blood. I thought, maybe, if the Bible made some sort of dark-blooded reference, modern human people today would just be misinterpreting it. I also thought that maybe the Ham reference could be a parable for demon-human relations. I also heard older versions of the bible and related ancient books feature demons and such, carried over from Hebrew belief. I'd be very interested in learning more about this.

If you're wondering why demon/Old Race skeletons don't show up in the fossil record, I learned from a reputable college professor that the fossil record is VERY limited a.k.a. incomplete (certain conditions must exist for a fossil to be formed, etc), and it'd be foolish to base history on that alone. So yay for my alternate history, hehe. I also tried a biological reason: their skeletons aren't made of calcium carbonate (or whatever bones are made out of) and thus decay. My basis for this is that sharks are carteligious fish, with skeletons made out of cartilege instead of normal bone. Shaky, I know, but this is historical/mythological FICTION, folks... ;)

I like to incorporate as many ideas/mythologies/world-histories as possible. See my classified ad in Misc for the subjects I'm looking for info on.

Did you know you're only allowed a maximum of 10 book-type objects at a time as an Upgraded Member? Well, it's not like I'll be able to reach this goal in the month of my Upgraded Membership, but I'm hoping that once I'm ready to put out novels, I can get the angel group (or Lea, thank you for your offer! I might have to take you up on it! hehe) to sponsor me. And of course I'll swap spots for novels in my port as they come and go (though I'd rather not do that, hehe).

I mean, for fiscal purposes, I won't even ask until I have a more-or-less completed novel or two. It's a depressing thought, but it should take me at least a year to write each...heck, at least I'll never be bored!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
"Novel" Ideas · 12-10-04 12:06am
by Starleafgirl

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Starleafgirl.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/983810