*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/980574
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #582527
Information and discussion related to the world of SHAMROCK, both present and past.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 3, 2004 at 3:45pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Too big
The two major lines of thought going here are that simple is better for fantasy or that intricate is key to fantasy. While I agree with elements of both schools (I looked into writing details when I started work on my second novel, note that I have not attempted to publish so I don't have that particular insight) I do believe that your characters do need to remain vulerable in someways (be that mortality or otherwise) but having a complex story line is a good thing. Fantasy is a unique challenge because of the necessity to create everything from the ground up. So detail is an unfortunate consequence.

But keeping a "surface simple" plot is an essential skill. Have tons going on below the main ideas, but keep your focus around a SMALL handful at a time. (four or five at the max) so you have time to build them in the way you want and they can all get screen time, so to speak. Do you detail work in undertones, that is where you will draw the readers in because they will be so interested to see if their instincts are right they will keep reading and rooting for their chosen hero.

I don't know how well I contributed to the discussion, but to sum it up: I believe an incorporation of the two ideas are necessary.

Stay inspired and keep writing,
Ciao,

Genevieve

Stop by for in depth reviews or new reading material!
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#874747 by Not Available.
MESSAGE THREAD
Too big · 02-27-03 11:44pm
by S-Styles
Re: Too big · 03-25-03 11:09pm
by Starleafgirl
Re: Re: Too big · 08-19-03 6:25am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Too big · 09-25-03 9:46pm
by Starleafgirl
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Too big · 12-03-04 3:45pm
by Genevieve Justine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too big · 12-03-04 11:44pm
by Starleafgirl

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Starleafgirl.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/980574