Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3676876
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #2274535
30 exercises to help you outline the setting for your novel
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 2, 2024 at 5:54am
Day 1

Exercise 1 : Outlining

Write out the headline notes and inspirations for your setting.

You don't need to get into details yet, but make a note of any specific ideas you already have.

This should include:
*AsteriskB* Your inspirations.
*AsteriskB* An idea of naming conventions.
*AsteriskB* An idea of gender roles.
*AsteriskB* An idea of era or technology level.
*AsteriskB* Any other significant factors you already have in mind.

1. Many inspirations. The Raven queen which I pulled apart and set up now as a parallel universe to the one 'The Never Verse' is based in I based the characters largely on historical leaders from the Middle Ages, dark ages, and renaissance. Catherine de' Medic would be one and a few others as I found their lives interesting.

2. Naming conventions are developed around a couple of in university languages which I took time to develop. In honestly a mix of Sanskrit and Latin which I studied at university years ago.

3. No real ideas on gender roles, I often let the characters develop these in an organic way. However, since it will be book two of the never verse, I am working toward then we have a couple of gay couples, two openly Bi women and two straight couples if that helps. It seemed to fit each character as I developed them last year.

4. Oddly enough since this is a universe jumping story technology changes between outright primitive to God like advancement. But there are rules and as such I have been developing notes to keep continuity to all of this... well in a rough way at least.

5. Yes, who is good and who is evil, and is there such in this tale or are we in fact trading a lesser of two evils? It is a question I am asking the reader to think on through the Raven Queen. Just because you grow to love a character in no way means they are actually good... maybe just a little less evil than their counterpart.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Day 1 · 09-02-24 5:54am
by StoneHeart
Re: Day 1 · 09-02-24 9:09am
by Tileira

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Tileira.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3676876