*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3594001
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 16, 2023 at 10:54pm
Edited: October 16, 2023 at 10:55pm
October 17 - Setting: Cultural Setting
Hey Preppers,
Can you believe we are past the half-way point Preppers? I hope your story is beginning to take shape and you are getting excited about writing it.

Today’s focus: Oct. 17: - Setting: Cultural Setting ▼
Describe the cultural, political and/or religious setting in your novel, regardless of whether the cultural setting is fictional, historical, or modern.
(1) What do your societies believe?
(2) In what practices do they engage?
(3) What laws or rules of society are in place?
(4) Who/what enforces the laws and rules and how successful are they?
(5) What technologies are in use?
(6) How does the setting impact your protagonist(s) in their pre-story lives?
(7) How does the setting impact the plot of your story?

Even though my story is more contemporary in nature, it takes place in the mid-seventies in New York City. NYC was darker then. More economic issues and nasty gangs. Central Park was not protected by the Conservancy it has now - so it looked unkept and riddled with graffiti. It works well for my story which also has elements of magical realism and dark forces presiding within and around a powerful family patriarch.

Knowing the answers to these questions will help clear the way for your story. They may even provide fodder for your plot. Getting you thinking deeply about these kinds of issues. It helps to bring your story world to life.

Consider: Can’t use cell phones because they are not invented yet - how do your characters get in touch with each other? Regular phone or an intricate web of people who pass things along to the correct person. Bat Light, anyone?

This could get fun.

Much of this information may never make it into your story, but it is good to know it exists because it colours your story - flavours the mix. Some information can be sprinkled in to add authenticity to your piece, but most will be for your benefit. The more you do, the more your story will develop.

You may want to check out

FORUM
World Weavers' Workshop  (13+)
30 exercises to help you outline the setting for your novel
#2274535 by Tileira
to get more ideas.

And how about a video: I really loved this one!

Happy Prepping.

Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
For new Mods!

My owl signature from Gemini Gem.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
October 17 - Setting: Cultural Setting · 10-16-23 10:54pm
by đź’™ Carly - aka Joan Watson
Re: October 17 - Setting: Cultural Setting · 10-17-23 7:34am
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: October 17 - Setting: Cultural Setting · 10-18-23 9:45am
by Brandiwyn🎶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3594001