Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(337)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 30, 2023 at 9:35pm
Entry 6/30 Don't Touch Anything
*Dollar* 300 GPs were sent to Arakun the twisted raccoon with this post.
Don't Touch Anything

As the old wooden door creaked open, I stepped into the abandoned laboratory. The air was heavy with dust, and cobwebs draped the corners like forgotten memories. Sunlight filtered through the cracked windows, casting ethereal beams across the room. It felt like I had stumbled upon a forgotten secret.

A sign on the wall caught my eye: "Caution: Experiment in Progress. Don't touch anything." My curiosity piqued, I glanced around, my gaze settling on an array of mysterious contraptions and bubbling glass containers.

Against my better judgment, I approached a machine with blinking lights and buttons. My hand hovered in the air, tempted to press one of the buttons. But the warning echoed in my mind: "Don't touch anything."

I hesitated for a moment before pulling back my hand. Instead, I decided to explore further. There was something intriguing about the abandoned laboratory that both fascinated and frightened me.

As I wandered deeper into the room, I noticed a large glass case, displaying a peculiar object. Inside, a small figurine of a golden bird perched on a delicate branch. Its intricate design held a sense of enchantment.

Mesmerized, I extended my hand, almost instinctively, to touch the beautiful artifact. However, the warning sign flashed before my eyes: "Don't touch anything."

The rational part of me urged caution, but the allure of the artifact was too strong. My fingers brushed against the glass, sending a jolt through my body. In an instant, the laboratory came alive.

Machinery whirred to life, and the glass containers erupted in a shower of sparks. The room was transformed into a swirling vortex of light and sound. I stumbled backward, my heart pounding, regretting my disobedience.

Suddenly, as quickly as it had started, the chaos ceased. The laboratory returned to its stillness, and the warning sign on the wall flickered once before disappearing. The contraptions and bubbling containers fell silent once more.

Realization dawned on me. The warning had been there for a reason, a caution against meddling with forces beyond comprehension. I had ignored it, and now I stood amidst the aftermath of my impulsive action.

Lesson learned, I stepped back, vowing to leave the laboratory untouched. Some secrets were better left undisturbed, locked away in the forgotten corners of time. I turned to leave, carrying the weight of the unspoken message: "Don't touch anything."
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry 6/30 Don't Touch Anything · 06-30-23 9:35pm
by WriterRick

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the twisted raccoon.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3569990