*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3474774
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 12, 2022 at 3:09am
Edited: January 12, 2022 at 3:13am
Re: On the Brown Branch
No, I agree to an extent. There are some branches I dislike for more personal reasons i.e. disagreeing with how a character was written or things like that but this is maybe the one branch where the central element of the entire thing is what turns me away.

I will say that in general, a work of fiction is a work of fiction to me so in principle I largely have no issues with stuff existing that pushes boundaries or unnerves. This branch has had questionable elements from the start (the sexual roleplay when Will and Sydney are in Mrs. Brown and Alec's masks) and I imagine that actually is the point. I feel like the intention is to show the disturbing nature of all of this Baphomet business and how quickly it can go out of control. Things that are already sexual in nature with it given what the ley lines require, and now two teenagers are throwing themselves into it and losing their inhibitions, humility and even basic morality as they give themselves over to debased desires.

I'd almost say that it's intentionally evoking the atmosphere of Satanic and supernatural themed horror from the 1970s in that respect. Especially given that the Browns are intended to be a good, pious Christian family. Though I assume that Will and Sydney aren't actually being possessed and pushed by a demonic entity.

All that said, this is easily my least favorite "main" branch (that being anything written by Seuzz or other "big" contributors and recusing myself). I don't really find the set up particularly interesting and I find the Browns as a whole thoroughly unpleasant and one dimensional. As you said, Gordon has depth to him and a situation that makes it possible to sympathize with him. Steve doesn't have that sympathetic element but he instead has a cold confidence and chilling demeanor that makes him charismatic to read.

The Browns, by contrast, seem to be little more than a group of one note bullies from top to bottom. There's nothing else there to grab onto and hook me as a reader.
MESSAGE THREAD
On the Brown Branch · 01-12-22 2:05am
by ThePrussian
*Star* Re: On the Brown Branch · 01-12-22 3:09am
by rugal b.
Re: Re: On the Brown Branch · 01-12-22 11:01am
by Seuzz

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3474774