*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3298325
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 5, 2019 at 4:29pm
Edited: October 5, 2019 at 4:31pm
Re: Hi, I just need an opinion
That sounds amazing! Sounds like you have a good direction for the story, and I'm liking the imaginary friend angle. You are welcome to do whatever your mind and inspiration lead you to do! Here are my thoughts:

The meat of the story seems like it'll happen when she's ADA, as far as I can see. Her backstory sounds really compelling, but because her childhood and escape and her life on the streets are really more character development than actual story, you might be able to introduce them in short flashbacks when they become relevant. Flashbacks are best delivered when readers know they want them, so it might be cool to have the name she adopted on the streets come back to haunt her in the story, just when things are really getting intense, and someone she cares about (the sheriff guy?) finds out about her past on the streets or is endangered because of it. Making her past relevant in the now of the story would be great reason to delve into your protagonist's experiences as a child and teen!

Having her confess some of her experiences to someone she is becoming close to would also do double(triple?) duty as important exposition and character/relationship development!

The thing is, it's really tough NOT to write the interesting backstory! I have scenes upon scenes written of backstory for main and side characters for various stories, and most of them will never see the light of day. But it's really enjoyable to write them, and these contest rounds (like today's!) are excellent opportunity to get the words out of you and onto paper.

If you find that her past simply can't be alluded to by other characters or shown in her lingering fears and traumas, that's cool. Go with your gut. You know what you want to write, and if you decide you want to change things up later, that's why it's called a first draft! You don't have to commit to one thing for good.

Best of luck!

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "Any Other Thursday *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-05-19 12:17pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-05-19 1:44pm
by Joy
Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-05-19 1:57pm
by Dobie Mom
*Star* Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-05-19 4:29pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-06-19 1:16am
by Sox and Sandals
Re: Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-06-19 9:29am
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Re: Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-06-19 10:41am
by Sharon.NJ
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-06-19 1:59pm
by Chrys O'Shea

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3298325