*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2892140
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 13, 2015 at 12:41pm
Edited: October 13, 2015 at 12:49pm
Tuesday's quote
by A Non-Existent User
ā€œThe most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them -- words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for want of an understanding ear.ā€
ā€• Stephen King

Though this seems to be talking about everyday general life stories I think it fits fiction quite well as well. We all have our stories and some of us have to let out what we need people to understand by telling them tales. While I was reading it a scene from the Broadway Play "Into the Woods," Not the movie kept going through my mind.

The Giant's wife is demanding they give her Jack. Someone suggests giving her the Narrator instead, To which he replied that they needed him. Without him they wouldn't know how the story ended. To this, The Witch played by Bernadette Peters says, "Some of us don't like how you have been telling it."

When we write fiction we never know if we are going to portray our example of what we need to say in such a way someone else will understand and thus like the way we are telling it.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
"WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group"Invalid Item
"Invalid Item
Check out my Rising Stars Bookiemonster Outasync Grace♥Leo health issues & bumfuzzled
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Tuesday's quote · 10-13-15 12:41pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2892140