*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2570664
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:59pm
Re: Re: Re: More detailed ratings
by Andrew
As Jeff pointed out, it would be very difficult to set up different categories for each of 22 different item types. Not only that, but within certain item types (e.g., groups and static items) there are many different categories (e.g., charity, groups, or activity groups; or poetry, fiction, non-fiction static items) and sub-categories (e.g., temporary or more permanent groups; or rhyming and free verse poetry) that make it not just difficult but nearly impossible.

It has been suggested in the past, yes. However, each time there have been reasons such a system hasn't been implemented.

There are also some nice aspects about not having set categories. That way, each person can personalize their reviews and the author can get feedback from different people taking different approaches, rather than limiting their reviewers to only a few categories. In my experience, the concrete suggestions in a review are always more helpful than a rating by itself. I'll take a "You misspelled the following words:" over "Spelling: 3.5 out of 5" any day.

Some ideas for you to use in order to get and give this kind of review:
-When creating an item, there's a section near the bottom (under "Item Preferences") that says "Rating / Reviewing:" and gives you both "Rating requires review" and "Reviews only; no ratings" as options. You can toggle that to what you want.
-You can create your own template to use when reviewing, as Jeff mentions above. If you're not sure of what to include in such a template, ask around! People are generally willing to share what they have. *Smile* Another option is to look on the Public Reviews page and see the kinds of templates people use. I personally use a numerical, multi-category template that I feel works well for me but which I'm sure other people wouldn't like.
-In your own items, you can include a note at the end asking for feedback about a specific aspect of the piece. For example, you could ask reviewers to assess your character development in a short story or to share their thoughts on the use of visuals in your forum.

Hope this helps! *Smile*

`Andrew
MESSAGE THREAD
More detailed ratings · 09-17-13 1:08am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: More detailed ratings · 09-17-13 6:23pm
by Dr. Jeffyll, or Mr. Hyde?
Re: Re: More detailed ratings · 09-17-13 10:36pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Re: Re: More detailed ratings · 09-18-13 9:59pm
by Andrew
Re: Re: Re: Re: More detailed ratings · 09-20-13 3:40pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2570664