by Ayero
Rated: E · Message Forum · Contest · #1882783
The Readers Are the Judges, All Creative Writings are Accepted
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 5, 2012 at 10:38pm
A Christmas Confession 1352 words
by A Non-Existent User
It was finally happening,the day Fred had been waiting for was finally here. His son in law called him at three in the morning with the

wonderful news, "I'm going to shoot myself now Fred,do you want to be here when I do it?"

Fred almost dropped the phone. He glanced over at his sleeping wife and went into the bathroom to answer the question.

"Yes,yes I do Edward,thank you. I'll be right over,"Then hearing the sound of sobbing he added,

"Please wait for me ." It was Christmas Eve exactly one year from the horrible night someone killed Fred's daughter and three

grandchildren. Fred knew immediately that Edward did it even though he made it look like a robbery. The presents were stolen from under

the tree and the family was killed in their beds. Edward was found with a slight head wound after he called 911 to report the break in.

After a thorough investigation Edward was cleared of all involvement but he could not look Fred in the eye.

Fred scribbled a note for his wife Helen and rushed out into the chill night air. He looked back at the dark house amidst the decorated

neighborhood with tears in his eyes. Helen couldn't bear the thought of the Holidays anymore without Lisa and the children.

He sped out of the driveway and onto the boulevard. It was only ten minutes to Edward's house but he was afraid he would get there too

late. He thought of the place he and Helen had purchased as a wedding gift for his daughter and son in law. It just shows how money can't

buy happiness,he thought.

He concentrated on the winding road ahead of him and soon came to the turn off he was looking for. He seemed to see the children

climbing in the great oak trees that lined the drive. "Grandpa,Grandpa," they would call to him as they waited for his arrival. They would

swing down and run to bestow hugs and kisses as they always did. Then in his mind's eye he saw the three white caskets and

groaned aloud. Soon it would be over,he thought. The car's headlights flashed across the figure waiting on the porch with a gun in his hand.

Edward collapsed in a rocking chair as Fred rushed up the steps to stand panting in front of the distraught man.

"Let's go inside," Fred suggested .The front door stood open but the interior was dark. Fred led the way, turning on a small lamp in the

living room only. He waited until Edward sat down and then sat across from him in the semi darkness.

Edward began to sob uncontrollably. Here was the emotion Fred had longed to see a year ago but it was too late now. Fred had not been

in this house in many months. The furniture was covered in a thick layer of dust and smelled of mold and mildew. He tried to ignore his

surroundings and concentrate on the mission at hand. Edward held the gun absent mindedly in his limp hand.

"I'm so sorry ," he cried, "I did it. You were right all along. I killed them all! Now I have to pay ."

Edward raised the gun to his temple and began to pull the trigger."STOP!" yelled Fred ,"Not yet,".

Surprised, Edward let go of the gun and said,

"Fred,what are you doing? I thought you wanted this."

"Not yet," whispered Fred Hoarsely,"First I have some questions that must be answered."

Outside it began to rain and a sudden gust of wind slammed the door they left open to the night. Edward screamed and gazed around

with wide eyes. Fred knew then he was on the verge of hysteria. Seeking to calm the murderer,Fred went to sit beside him on the couch.

"Edward,it will soothe your soul if you tell me about last Christmas Eve."

"I need a drink,get me a drink," Edward moaned.

"Yes,yes,of course," Fred agreed and went to the liquor cabinet to find a bottle of whiskey.

"Give it to me," Edward demanded,taking the bottle out of his hand and drinking straight from it.

"Have you ever wanted to die old man?," he asked .

Fred stared at him in the dim light and sighed,

"Tell me Edward,you'll feel better if you just tell me now."

Outside the wind howled like a wounded animal and Edward shivered as he looked into the shadowed face of his confessor.

"The last thing I remember I was reading them a bedtime story.

In the middle of it I got a phone call from Dr. Randolf. You know she has been my therapist since I returned from Iraq." Edward moaned

and drank deeply from the bottle of whiskey again. "I'm so sorry Fred,so so sorry,". "I know" said Fred quietly,"What did Dr. Randolf say to

you?" Edward raised his head to stare into Fred's bloodshot eyes,"She said ,'Kill them now Edward,kill them all now' ".

A chill went up Fred's spine and thunder rolled across the dark sky. He was too shocked to speak and for long moments the only sound

was his son in law's sobs. He visualized the bright young doctor who had taken such an interest in the case , even coming to see Edward at

home. Finally he said ,"Why,Edward,why would she say that to you? Surely you can't expect me to believe that. It's ridiculous. I

thought you were ready to accept your guilt." Fred recalled all the sessions using deep hypnotic techniques that Dr. Ruth Randolf was

known for. It had seemed that her methods were working so well. Edward had grown calmer and was happier than he had been since his

return from the war. He no longer had fits of rage or angry outbursts.

Edward's voice shook as he answered. "Why would I lie when I am going to die tonight? I just want someone to know the truth. Ruth is

insanely jealous and greedy. I thought we were in love ." Fred slapped the bottle out of Edward's hand as he went to take another drink,

"Stop it,just stop it! Why would you listen to her ? She couldn't make you kill your own family!"

Edward shook violently, crying out," I was programmed to murder them! She programmed my brain to do it when she played a certain

song. It was on in the background of the phone call."

"What song? What are you talking about?" Fred groaned.

"This one ," said a voice from the hall and Dr. Ruth Randolf stepped out into the dim light holding a child's music box. The silver orb

played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in a tinkling robotic way. The music was the last thing Fred heard as Edward pumped four bullets into his

chest."Now it is really over Darling," Dr. Randolf whispered. He just wouldn't give up now would he?"

Edward dropped the gun and opened his eyes wide,"What happened?" he asked.

"You just defended yourself from a physical attack Sweetheart and I saw the whole thing" Ruth said as she dialed 911.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
A Christmas Confession 1352 words · 08-05-12 10:38pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Ayero.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2421713