*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2414530
Rated: E · Message Forum · Steampunk · #1776068
Discuss, learn, practice, promote, write and review Steampunk, Sci-fi & Fantasy with us.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 11, 2012 at 7:29pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend's question

I believe that magic can exist in Steampunk under certain circumstances. Without getting into the ideology-vs-aesthetic argument of placing steampunk onto other genres, I believe that there is a certain, intrinsic quality to the genre that lends itself to a broader spectrum than its original founding works. Steampunk can incorporate a number of ideas from other genres or sub-genres while staying true to the "steam-inspired, Victoriana" stories that people tend to envision when talking about Steampunk.

Someone mentioned a Fantasy or Science Fiction basis, and I believe this might be the best way to look at it. Stories that are more fantastically driven, might better lend toward magic in the world you've created. Anubis Gates, Moorlock Nights, and Court of the Air are all good examples of both secret society stories and stories that delve into magical elements, though not in the way that a traditional High Fantasy piece would normally look at it. On the other hand, you have a work like Infernal Devices that takes something typically seen as bogus (i.e. mental harmonics) and explains it as a scientific principal -- sort of like giving a scientific explanation to something magical.

I think the beauty of fiction in general is that it's your world to create and your world to build the rules for. So long as you've created rules, use them consistently, and write your characters so that their actions not only conform to those rules but make sense within them, then you have a believable story.

-----
J Boone Dryden
Managing Editor, The RetroFuture Engine
MESSAGE THREAD
My friend's question · 06-26-12 2:37pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: My friend's question · 06-26-12 10:44pm
by Beck Firing back up!
Re: My friend's question · 06-28-12 1:58pm
by tYpO/T.Boilerman
Re: Re: My friend's question · 06-28-12 11:46pm
by Beck Firing back up!
Re: Re: Re: My friend's question · 07-04-12 12:52pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend's question · 07-06-12 7:34pm
by tYpO/T.Boilerman
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend's question · 07-06-12 9:53pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: My friend's question · 07-07-12 9:31am
by Lady Katie-Marie -Published :)
Re: Re: My friend's question · 07-09-12 5:44pm
by Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST
Re: Re: Re: My friend's question · 07-09-12 7:02pm
by Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend's question · 07-11-12 7:29pm
by Capt. J B Dryden III, RAI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend's question · 07-11-12 7:59pm
by tYpO/T.Boilerman
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend's question · 07-11-12 8:19pm
by CeruleanSon
Re: My friend's question · 08-07-12 10:33pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Beck Firing back up!.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2414530