Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2098683
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #1282024
Forum for horror book lovers to chat
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 13, 2010 at 10:54am
Macabre
Macabre by Stephen Laws

I first found this authors first three novels in a small secondhand bookshop on the Isle of Wright in a small coastal town of Ryde. I loved Ghost Train, Spectre, and The Wyrm. From then on this English writer had me hooked.

And I am happy to say I'm still a wriggly fish on the end of the line. Macabre is a large story - though the novel is only around 250'ish pages in length.

It is basically a story of the occult, fate (and the balancing of those scales), the walking dead, the opening of the gates of hell, and urban blight. If that isn't enough for you then there are six major characters and their backgrounds, some of which are intrinsically intertwined, to give you one hell of a rollercoaster ride of a tale.

This isn't your average Horror story it opens up concepts of good and evil within mankind and the balance of the scales of fate as the balance between good and evil sway from one side to the other. Coming to precariously balance on the wrong side for mankind... Will they topple in favour of the dead and daemons waiting to inhabit them.

Laws does a fantastic job of telling a page-turner of a tale; and with so much happening he makes it seem easy to tie everything together. Places, peoples, deaths.

It would be impossible to go into the story in detail as I would probably end up rewriting it (and believe me it would be no where near as good)

I recommend Stephen Laws as an author to read.

8/10

Come join me - We ALL Float Down Here.

*Balloon3* PENNYWISE *Balloon3* Stephen *Balloon3*

Cover & promo for Absolute Horror Writing Contests.

"Absolute Horror Flash Fiction Contest"   by Pennywise

"Absolute Monthly Horror Contest"   by Pennywise
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Macabre · 06-13-10 10:54am
by Pennywise

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pennywise.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2098683