Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1694568
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #1282024
Forum for horror book lovers to chat
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 23, 2008 at 8:18pm
Re: Re: The Shining
by M. R. K
OH, OH, it's on Stephen! Haha just kidding, I don't care nearly enough about either of those films to argue about them. I like the Shining and The Exorcist, but I've never understood why they're known as "the scariest movies of all time".

Let's start with the Shining.

Flaws: No emotional whallop like the book. Jack's descension into madness, while well acted by Nicholson in an astonishing performance, is hardly believable. As far as I'm concerned, the way his character is written in the script makes him seem already crazy, whereas the Jack Torrence in King's novel was a conflicted, loving man who tragically loses his way. Lack of the topiary animals, though I can understand that. At the time the Shining was made, they probably would have looked ridiculous, though I'm sure with well planned shots, probably could have been pretty cool/scary. A little too long at 2 hours, 20 minutes.

The Good: Nicholsons outstanding performance. Kubricks talent for uncomfortable, interesting shots, and let's not forget the extraordinary musical score, perhaps the thing which carries the film for me. In horror, I believe music to be important, and I found the score in the Shining chilling. But then, that IS the only thing I found frightening.

Overall, The Shining is not a great movie, and is perhaps one of Kubricks worst, but I do like it, and hardly think it's a borefest Stephen ;). To each his own, I never judge when it comes to Books and Films. I agree that the remake had all of what Kubricks version was missing, but I did really hate the last scene where Danny sees his father at graduation. That was a little TOO overdramatic/cliche for me. Both films should have stuck with King's ending. After just watching the film again last night after reading the book, the book is by far better, but I think Kubrick's version could have been worse.

I've never read The Exorcist, and I only mildly like the movie. I think it had a few interesting scenes, and again, a creepy musical score, but that's about it. The third was by far the best, I still need to add it to my collection. And the second film? My god, what the hell was that? I hated it.

Haha thanks for the reply Stephen, I always love talking horror books/films, even if I disagree with someone. It's been a good chat. Until next time ;).

-Matt

-when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you
MESSAGE THREAD
The Shining · 03-22-08 7:22pm
by M. R. K
Re: The Shining · 03-23-08 7:19pm
by Pennywise
*Star* Re: Re: The Shining · 03-23-08 8:18pm
by M. R. K
Re: The Shining · 04-09-08 10:30pm
by Starr* Rathburn
Re: Re: The Shining · 04-09-08 11:47pm
by M. R. K
Re: Re: Re: The Shining · 11-19-08 11:58pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Shining · 06-10-10 3:11pm
by Pennywise

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pennywise.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1694568