SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1694538
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #1282024
Forum for horror book lovers to chat
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 23, 2008 at 7:19pm
Re: The Shining
OOOhhh Kubrick's take on the shining leaves me cold - I HATE THAT FILM, it made a well written, edge of your seat read and scare-coaster, into one of the dullest rides ever. To me there is only one "Horror" film worse than this and that is "The Exorcist", which was also a bloody good book - thank God, William Peter Blatty took over as Director for the third movie, which really was the follow up book "Legion", as it's this one that really questioned the church and held more scares and possibilities.

Back to the OCD Kubrick - Now his way of film making - take after take after take - shooting scenes from every angle over and over, I think worked well with 2001 and the brilliant Full Metal Jacket - now if he'd gone down the same path as the later film, The Shining may have been more than a snoozefest - I recommend this film to all my insomniac friends - works every time. The only saving point of the entire film is good old Jack (as yet I can't fault his acting skills or talent), even though he couldn't hold this overly long film together. The only reason for the maze was because Kubrick for some reason couldn't or wouldn't put in the topiary animals. But the worst thing about the "Luxury Hotel" was the decor - The place needed to be blown to kingdom come for the carpet alone - I get nauseous just thinking of Danny riding around on his tricycle - BAD BAD BAD.

Now for the better version - check out Mick Garris's version of The Shining. Even though it's a made for TV mini-series, it still outstrips Kubrick's version. And the kid playing Danny can act. There's even a stronger bond between the Husband and Wife, with Steven Weber and Rebecca De Morney in the roles. And Jack Torrence's decent into the maelstrom is much better depicted here - and you actually end up caring for the characters. Where as, with Kubick's version all I cared about was "When are they gonna die?"

The funny thing is, we actually have Kubrick's version on DVD. In my defense I did warn The Missus about it, but she snook it in one day - It took her three separate occasions to watch the whole film, as she kept falling asleep (shame she doesn't suffer from insomnia) - when she finally finished watching it she apologised to me for buying it. Now we have the task of finding someone to give it to - unfortunately, we don't hate anybody that much *Smile* And that is the truth.

Well there you go - I've had my say and a poke at two of the most respected "Horror" movies out there - respected by the critics, that is - because in my life I've only come across one person who liked Kubrick's Shining and that's Matt who posted the original message - So I too would be happy to hear any remarks.

Come join me - We ALL float down here.
PENNYWISE - Stephen (The Cat amongst the pidgeons *Smile* )
MESSAGE THREAD
The Shining · 03-22-08 7:22pm
by M. R. K
*Star* Re: The Shining · 03-23-08 7:19pm
by Pennywise
Re: Re: The Shining · 03-23-08 8:18pm
by M. R. K
Re: The Shining · 04-09-08 10:30pm
by Starr* Rathburn
Re: Re: The Shining · 04-09-08 11:47pm
by M. R. K
Re: Re: Re: The Shining · 11-19-08 11:58pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Shining · 06-10-10 3:11pm
by Pennywise

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pennywise.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1694538