*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1637533
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Activity · #1348717
Knowing what you believe and why is at least as important as the believing itself.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 14, 2007 at 11:39pm
Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic: Immigration
by A Non-Existent User
I looked up the meaning of immigration and it is as follows:

im·mi·gra·tion [ìmmi gráysh'n]
(plural imm·i·gra·tions)
n
1. arrival of settlers in new country: the act of entering a new country to settle permanently

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Thinking of this topic am I for or against? I was taught in school it was what this country: The United States of America was founded on. We were known as the melting pot of the world. This means many from all back grounds melting together as one to become and form the new world.

This controversial topic caused me to be curious, so I did some research. I talked to some people and asked what does immigration mean to you and I was shocked and surprised at the answers I received.

!st person: 27 year old male. His answer? " A person that comes here illegal."
hmmm... okay its not my definition. Did I say anything about legal or not? So I asked should it be allowed? he stated "No, we have more people here then our government can take care of."

2nd person: 22 year old female. her answer? " Its people wanting to defect from their country." Wow... defect or change loyalties. I asked her should it be allowed. She said yes if they were being hurt or tortured.

3rd person: 23 year old male. His answer? "It is people who do not belong here trying to take over our land." Now that, is a strong statement isn't it? I asked if it should be allowed he stated no because its not their heritage.

4th person: 15 year old male. His answer: "Well I think it is people of other races and religion or someone who has been driven out because of natural disastrous, needing a temporary place to stay." He is not sure what it means but at least he is thinking about it. I asked if it should be allowed and he stated yes, if they need help, till they get on their feet.

5th person: 13 year old female. Her answer: I think it is students from other countries who come here to gain schooling. Its a trade thing, a student goes there and a student comes here. Now that is a different thought all together.

6th person: a nine year old boy. His answer: "It is like the birds, it is people who come from some where else, looking for a better place, food to eat and the ability to live better, like the birds go south for the winter." I like his answer a lot..

So after my research I am thinking about me, and what I think. I think we should be honored in a way, that it was our country they chose to become a part of. Most of the people are just looking for a better life for their family and for them self. There is nothing wrong with trying to better oneself. Most that I have met, are here not to sponge off of us or to take over but to become part of us, to melt in with this world, to be free to choose and live and work right along side of us.

If they buy groceries, they pay taxes. They support the schools their children attend. They are strong in our churches, they are people like us. They smile, laugh, cry and feel pain and mourn lost ones. They build homes, they want to work jobs and pay their way. If you look around many of our own people, live on state assistance, refuse to work jobs unless it pays a standard they are use to. A lot of our own children walk away from the educational opportunities they are given, they drop out or quit.

I think if many of us would look back at our self, where we came from, we would be surprised; somewhere we have a relative that was of another descent, which came over here for a better life. In my own family... I am part Cherokee, my people were already here, and yet I am also English, meaning I have family from England that was not born here. If they had not come to America, would I have been born?

Before any of you answer this topic think about one thing. If you lived in another country, with disease, poor living conditions, no work, little food and or strict government control, from what job you work to how many children you could have to whether you are worthy of a education or not would you not wish, pray and want a chance at a better life? I know I would, and this is what these immigrants want too. They could bring a lot of good to our country if only we gave them a chance. We could learn from each other, the good in us and even the bad in us; together we could blend into something very special.

Writing the words, the hand takes credit for, created by the heart.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
Proud member of "Invalid Item
and GP GIFTERS!!
MESSAGE THREAD
"Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic: Immigration · 12-14-07 10:29am
by Kenneth Reuel
*Star* Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic: Immigration · 12-14-07 11:39pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic: Immigration · 12-15-07 12:11am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic: Immigration · 12-15-07 12:19am
by ESTyree
Re: Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic: Immigration · 12-15-07 1:04am
by emerin-liseli
Illegals or not · 12-15-07 1:37am
by ESTyree
Re: Illegals or not · 12-15-07 1:59am
by emerin-liseli
Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-15-07 2:35am
by ESTyree
Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-15-07 2:26pm
by emerin-liseli
Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-15-07 3:59pm
by ESTyree
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-15-07 4:26pm
by emerin-liseli
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-15-07 7:32pm
by Kenneth Reuel
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-16-07 8:13am
by Archweasel
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-16-07 11:51am
by Kenneth Reuel
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-15-07 8:31pm
by ESTyree
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-16-07 3:19am
by Kenneth Reuel
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegals or not · 12-16-07 3:34am
by ESTyree
Re: Illegals or not · 12-15-07 2:07pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Authors Spotlight" Immigration · 12-15-07 8:07am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Authors Spotlight" Immigration · 12-15-07 3:43pm
by ESTyree
Re: Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic: Immigration · 12-15-07 11:54am
by A Non-Existent User
Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic: Immigration · 12-15-07 1:34am
by Rob G. ~Led by the Master~
Re: "Authors Spotlight" Controversial Topic · 12-15-07 1:54am
by Ryguy
Re: "Authors Spotlight" Immigration · 12-15-07 3:10am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: "Authors Spotlight" Immigration · 12-15-07 4:26am
by Acme
re "Authors Spotlight" Controversial: Immigration · 12-15-07 1:49pm
by Soccie

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Kenneth Reuel.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1637533