*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1420337
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 20, 2006 at 10:38am
Re: Study the markets
Yep, Jessie and Kritter both covered the major aspects here. One other thing I always do when I'm considering markets is black listing checks. Google is fantastic for this. I'll google a market/business/publisher and if there are a large number of negative comments, blogs, forum conversations etc. it's a good sign I should give them a miss. This is dealing with the reputation of a business and since a great deal of writing is all about reputation it's an important factor to consider.

This is also important with Jessie's point about not submitting inappropriate content. If they're focusing on something specific and you send them something completely off topic, you could be remembered and they won't bother to take much time with anything else you ever decide to send them. You want to know you're hitting the right markets with the right content. No point sending poetry to a publication that only publishes non-fiction articles. No point sending non-fiction where they only print fiction. It's a great time saver as well as common curtesy.

On other thing is quality. Sure it might seem like a reader perspective but if I don't enjoy what they publish I don't want my words slotted along-side writing I don't like. If their prior publications lack a quality of standard, printed with multiple errors, failure to offer a professional presentation etc. I would rather skip having my byline attached. I take myself seriously so I'd never want to submit myself to a substandard representation. *chuckles* That puts me into the real 'prostitution' category. *Wink* I'd lose my self respect. See, taking cash boosts my self respect, I'm worthy of earning money for my writing. But I'm not going to drag my work through the dregs of literature just to get my name out.

Anyway, lots of valid reasons to do the research first. Alas, it's also a valid reason why I do a lot less submitting then I'd like. *frowns* Sometimes I guess you have to stop researching and just get it out there.

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Study the markets · 12-16-06 2:04am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Study the markets · 12-16-06 4:38am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Study the markets · 12-16-06 8:59am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Study the markets · 12-17-06 12:47am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Study the markets · 12-18-06 11:25pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Study the markets · 12-16-06 7:37am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Study the markets · 12-18-06 11:28am
by Kritter
*Star* Re: Study the markets · 12-20-06 10:38am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1420337