*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1389191
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 20, 2006 at 5:13pm
Edited: October 20, 2006 at 5:32pm
Re: Greetings and Prologues
I don't know if you've ever read a prologue that read more like a general synopsis of the coming story. It's almost like, "...In our previous episode...". That's the sort of of prologue that I refer to as an info dump. Another instance is that which compresses the childhood of our MC in 3-5 pages, telling rather than showing why a character is now cold, aloof, warm-hearted, an assassain, a cheese cutter in Wisconsin, etc...
By using a prologue in that manner, we're not showing events or cause and effect. We're simply telling the reader what we want the reader to know before we actually begin the story. Info-dump.

Like I said, I like them. Even poorly written prologues don't bother me overly much. I figure in most cases it needs to be read, else the author wouldn't have written it.

In the thread/survey I mentioned in my first topic post, the anti-prologue group seemed to form a consensus regarding the following:

[i]Good prologues don't really stick with you months or years later. They accomplish the intended mission and allow you to move on to the story. A poor prologue may not stick with you either, but you'll remember what a waste of time it was, and that it likely contributed nothing to the story, so you begin to scan them at first, before deciding to just skip them all together. If they don't serve to move the story, leave it out. If it [u]does[/u] move the story, just call it chapter one and get on with it. But don't use it to sneak in a synopsis of the story (really poor writing) or dump a lot of useless information about the character's life before he had super powers, his deceased wife, or dysfunctional family...UNLESS it moves the story.[/i]

I can agree with some of their argument. I can't agree with their blanket assertion that all prologues are either useless or distracting. Skipping all prologues because they read a few that were pointless is like saying "I'll never read another book that has a red cover. All books with red covers suck!"

A good prologue doesn't necessarily move the story. That's not its function. It should, however, contribute something such as providing the reader with some early back story {SOME being the key word) or establish setting, mood, etc... If it can't do that, it's probably not an effective tool and the author may want to consider a rewrite, or deleting it all together. If it actually advances the story, theres no real harm in labeling it "prologue" though in reality it's more likely your first chapter.

In the final analysis, we can call it whatever we like. When the story sells, the house editor is going to tell, not ask, the author to label the opening as one of three: Chapter One, Introduction, or Prologue.

For more "stuff" visit:
http://LiamJackson.com

{i}"Have you ever been caught hiding bodies in your closet? No? Good place to hide them, uh?"{/i}
  • Proud member of the Horror Writers Association, International Thriller Writers, and the Authors Guild
  • MESSAGE THREAD
    Greetings and Prologues · 10-17-06 10:35pm
    by Bernidette
    Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-18-06 1:32am
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-18-06 10:07am
    by Bernidette
    Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-18-06 10:55am
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-18-06 1:23pm
    by Tileira
    Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-19-06 12:04am
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-19-06 10:17pm
    by Bernidette
    Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 2:05am
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 9:51am
    by Bernidette
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 11:49am
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 12:16pm
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 4:49pm
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-22-06 11:32pm
    by Kritter
    *Star* Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 5:13pm
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 8:19pm
    by Bernidette
    Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-23-06 10:56pm
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-25-06 11:20pm
    by Bernidette
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-26-06 3:01am
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-29-06 5:09pm
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 11-01-06 10:39pm
    by Bernidette
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 11-02-06 1:48am
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 11:23pm
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 11-17-06 1:44pm
    by Tileira
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 11-18-06 1:34am
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-20-06 8:52pm
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-21-06 5:56pm
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: Re: Greetings and Prologues · 10-23-06 11:01pm
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: Greetings and Prologues · 11-03-06 8:24am
    by Noble has the writing bug

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
    Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
    Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1389191