*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1379252
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 1, 2006 at 11:11pm
Edited: October 1, 2006 at 11:22pm
Re: May I vent?
The "filler" or middle is the toughest part for many writers. Outlines give some people the willies, but theyre really good tools once you get comfortable with them. Even with tightly constructed outlines, the middle of the book can wreck story structure. One way fo dealing with this is the stroyboard.

Use an excel spreadsheet broekn into columns, each column representing a chapter. (Any column/row format will do.)

You fill in the blocks with title number, major characters, and the theme of the major scene in that chapter. When you hit the empty blocks, consider the chapters before an after. Look at the big picture of "cause and effect." If so-n-so occured in the preceedig chapter, then the natural progression would be...__________(fill in the blank) Or, you might determine its a good spot to introduce a new character or minor side arch. if youre stuck and nothing comes to mind, play the what-if game. for instance, if Mike and Bob rescued a vampire poodle from the pound in chapter eight, WHAT IF...its litter mates escape the pound and track it to Mike and Bob's house, or WHAT IF, the kitten slips out of the house on the first night with Mike and Bob, and the next morning every dog in the neighborhood is toast....or better yet, enthralled to a vampire kitty?

You might go through one of two WHAT IFS before the right idea strikes home, or it could take a few days. But the WHAT IF game is notorious for working authors out of dead ends and tight spots.

Best of luck to ya!

For more "stuff" visit:
www.LiamJackson.com
www.AbsoluteWrite.com

"Have you ever been caught hiding bodies in your closet? No? Good place to hide them, uh?"
  • Proud member of the Horror Writers Association and the Authors Guild
  • MESSAGE THREAD
    May I vent? · 10-01-06 3:40pm
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: May I vent? · 10-01-06 4:05pm
    by Starr* Rathburn
    Re: May I vent? · 10-01-06 4:44pm
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: May I vent? · 10-01-06 4:45pm
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: May I vent? · 10-01-06 4:46pm
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: May I vent? · 10-01-06 8:36pm
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: Re: May I vent? · 10-02-06 8:58am
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: Re: Re: May I vent? · 10-02-06 12:32pm
    by Lori Basiewicz
    *Star* Re: May I vent? · 10-01-06 11:11pm
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: May I vent? · 10-02-06 1:37am
    by Talanis
    Re: May I vent? · 10-02-06 6:58pm
    by A Non-Existent User
    Re: May I vent? · 10-06-06 6:30am
    by nerdychaz
    Re: Re: May I vent? · 10-06-06 10:55am
    by Liam Jackson

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
    Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
    Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1379252