*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1368815
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 14, 2006 at 7:23am
Re: Re: How do you motivate yourself?
The fire will come back.

Don't force it. You need time to heal. How long has it been since your mom died? For me, it was about three years. (Not three years of writer's block, mind you - but three years of training myself NOT to pick up the phone when I needed a chat with my mom; three years to stop crying at the drop of a hat; three years to get over bouncing between sadness and anger and remember her as she was; three years to stop thinking about her every five minutes; three years to stop saying "My God, she was only nineteen years older than me..." and dwelling morbidly on my own mortality...*Laugh*)

Seriously, though - don't force it. Forcing it right now is like trying to look straight on at a star in the night sky, and only being able to see it out of the corner of your eye. Make a place for yourself to write. Have all the tools handy and keep them in good condition. But go do something else for a while and don't mourn the "loss" of the "fire" while you're mourning your mother. Take some photos, go for a drive, walk in the park, do something new or different. The words and the fire will be there as soon as you're feeling up to thinking about other things - to thinking frivolous thoughts, maybe. If you feel an urge to pick up the pen, do it - just don't FORCE it. Journaling is also a good way to express your feelings and put them into perspective. Face your feelings head on and write about your mom - good, bad, superwoman, or flawed human being - whatever comes out. Don't even attempt to direct your writing into "a poem," "a short story," or "a novel" right now - if something comes up and insists on your committing it to paper, nifty. Go with it. Figure out what it is LATER.

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1116533 by Not Available.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
ASIN: 141163103X
Product Type: Book
Amazon's Price: $ 17.07

ASIN: 1411644476
Amazon's Price: $ 16.12
MESSAGE THREAD
How do you motivate yourself? · 08-11-06 4:03pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 08-11-06 4:57pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 09-08-06 3:02pm
by fkhat75
Re: Re: Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 09-09-06 2:55am
by Liam Jackson
Re: Re: Re: Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 09-11-06 5:23pm
by Being Diane
Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 09-12-06 11:28pm
by Jason Clayton
Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 09-13-06 3:07am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 09-13-06 10:15am
by The Knight Has Found Romance
Re: Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 09-14-06 6:01am
by nerdychaz
*Star* Re: Re: How do you motivate yourself? · 09-14-06 7:23am
by Holly Jahangiri

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1368815