SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1362205
Rated: E · Message Forum · Educational · #981789
work in progress- writing assignments & links for use in the home school
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 2, 2006 at 11:51am
Intro's all a round
I love to who you are, who you are teaching. goals, ages, names, ect.

I have home schooled our oldest from 7th grade through all of high school. Nick had strange test scores. He was way up in some area's but a low in others. There were some issues with harassment of being called "gay". That went undressed at his school.

Within two years he was tested above average on everything.

Nick in college now and working full time. He just paid for his first car and is now working on paying for his own laptop.

I have an eight year named Quen who was reading in preschool. He's great at everything the act of writing things with a pencil and paper. One or two sentences is all he wants to do.
Needless to say this year I hope to have over this hurtle.

As many of you must know, being smart at public school is a social handicap.

For the most part other than that I could leave him to his own devices because he is interesting in so many things.

Most days we start out with reading. Half an hour of free reading. Half an hour of where we take turns reading.

Then some book work.

Some sort of educational TV.

Work with turbo twist, with math, spelling, or general knowledge.

He writes a paragraph on the lap top and then writes it on line paper.

The oder gets switched around.

This year he is helping in the kitchen.

He runs most days with a neighbor and plays outside with the other kids when they come home from their day. Or Quen will kick his scorer ball around, or get the horse shoes.

We play games a couple of times a week. We try new card games once a month{reading, following directions}. We play Apples to Apples {language skills}, Monopoly , Into the Woods {circle of life, animal habitats}, National Geographic GOB {I am sure you can guess}, Shoots and Ladders{General knowledge}, Scrabble, Jeopardy. I try and switch them out.

I think we kind of unschool. But them we keep track and turn in work too?

So let's hear about you all.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Intro's all a round · 09-02-06 11:51am
by AliceNgoreland

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Lobelia is truly blessed.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1362205