*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1336564
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 26, 2006 at 11:15pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter
OK now in todays society computers are pretty much everywhere. Does anyone ever use a typewriter anymore?

Off the top of my head, I can think of one writer that I've heard of who uses a typewriter instead of a computer. His reasoning is that it cuts down on distractions and the temptation to surf the internet. I've heard of more writers, who started in the days before computers, who have downloaded software so their computer will make typewriter noises. It creates a rhythmic white noise that lets them escape the conscious world and sink into their stories.

I love my laptop; I'm addicted to it, but I make notes and things in notebooks. If I get stuck, I switch to writing longhand until I'm moving again. I've been told but haven't done the research myself to confirm whether or not it is true, that writing uses a different part of the brain than typing, so by switching, I'm jumpstarting parts of my brain that may be inactive. I've also found just picking up the laptop and moving to a different part of the house when I'm stuck works, too.
MESSAGE THREAD
Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter · 07-22-06 6:41pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter · 07-23-06 1:44am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter · 07-24-06 12:48pm
by Alice Wright
Re: Re: Re: Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter · 07-24-06 1:09pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter · 07-24-06 1:57pm
by Alice Wright
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter · 07-26-06 11:15pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter · 08-05-06 1:42am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Pen & Ink vs. Computer vs. Typewriter · 08-10-06 11:34pm
by Lori Basiewicz

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1336564