*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930386-Superiority-Complex
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#930386 added March 10, 2018 at 11:49pm
Restrictions: None
Superiority Complex
PROMPT: What's your favorite way of responding to someone who considers their competence to be at least on some level knowledgeable in a category they've visibly proven they're less than capable of living up to? Where's the line when it comes to calling people out on their self-perceived superiority?

====

First, truly knowledgeable people do not act superior to others. When it comes to calling people out on their self-perceived superiority, I myself have to be really knowledgeable in that area, and I would only call anyone out if their self-perceived competence is misleading other people or causing any problems for someone else.

Then another scenario could be, provided that I have more knowledge than such a person and if I find such people open to suggestions, I would try to recommend them some reading material or some courses they could attend to.

Otherwise, it is not my business to beat up on people who are incompetent and headstrong unless they are hurting someone or something.

Acting superior in an area when one is not capable may mean that person has a superiority complex, as that's the exact name Alfred Adler called it. Superiority Complex is a defense mechanism, and it is the result of feeling inadequate. If I suspect that a person's superiority show is the result of such a complex, I might try to ease his burden by showing the truly positive things in his life, but doing more than that still is not my business. That person has to see a therapist.

© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930386-Superiority-Complex