*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915407-Common-Sense
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#915407 added July 14, 2017 at 8:50pm
Restrictions: None
Common Sense?
PROMPT: Fun Fact Friday! On this day in 1946, Dr. Benjamin Spock's 'The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care' was first published. How useful really in your opinion (whether you have kids or not), are parenting books? And (I'm not judgin' anyone, but...) what does it say about the person who is reading from anything sporting a title beginning with "The Common Sense Book..."?
          Sigh! I weathered the raising of three children without once consulting a book that contained someone else's opinions. Self-help, or how-to books are not for me. From what I glean from news stories and the odd article, if they are to be believed, there are many opinions re the volatile subject of child rearing. Everyone seems to be an expert, and have an opinion. That's okay. All of us are entitled to follow what we want. I just do not believe that any one of us is an expert, and thus better able to raise a child. Theories abound, but is any one better than the other?
         First of all, if someone contemplating introducing a child into the world feels compelled to read about a thing known as common sense, they more than likely have no clue what that is, or how to harness it, or how to recognize it. Common sense is simply practical thinking. It involves the concepts of cause and effect. If you attempt this, there are foreseeable consequences. Unprotected sex will most probably result in a pregnancy. It cannot be wished away, or denied. A child is a human being, there's no mystery.
         Parenting a child requires that people pay attention. Babies and tots do communicate. Parents learn to listen and respond. Basic needs are apparent, and the methods used to satisfy them are not a mystery. Child-rearing is a hands-on, lifetime roller-coaster of learning. Parents need patience, flexibility, and a never ending sense of humour.
         Over the years, many child-rearing theories arise. At one time, it was taught that children should be seen , and not heard. Just shut up. What a ridiculous concept. Some people choose to sleep with their children, This was not something I espoused. Other people follow the "spare the rod, spoil the child" method. They believe in strict discipline. Some like the Montessori teachings in which kids are self-taught and encouraged to experience with hands-on lessons.
         Back in 1946, I suppose Dr. Spock was too polite and politically correct to write a book entitled 'Parenting For Dummies'.
         Maybe I'm wrong and a wee bit cynical, but I believe parenting books cater to the anxious ,new parents who want their child to be perfect. They must lose this ideal. No child, or parent is perfect. Each child will be unique. No amount of worrying and coddling can prevent any and all eventualities.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915407-Common-Sense