*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723251-The-Small-Things
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1523686
Nothing like a fortune cookie to make a year intriguing.
#723251 added May 3, 2011 at 5:39am
Restrictions: None
The Small Things
"Wonder is the beginning of wisdom."~Greek Proverb
Currently listening to: "The Moment I Said It" - Imogen Heap
Currently reading: "The Gift of Tongues: Twenty-Five Years of Poetry from Copper Canyon Press" - Sam Hamill


I find that it's the small things in life that give the greatest pleasure. A cup of coffee made just right. The breath of a breeze on your face when the sun is at its highest. A smile from a stranger just to share a moment with each other. Today has been a day of good, small things. There has been great instances of trial throughout the week. What is life without them. However, I think taking a minute to appreciate the little stuff is what saves many of us from going insane.

For instance, I found out today my little brother Z is student of the month at his school. I wish I could have been there, but having a horde of step-brothers and sisters with cameras on their phones makes missing events these a little less painful. My grandfather was taken off his ventilator and will most likely be taken out of the ICU tomorrow if things go well. My eldest brother and his family got the keys to their first house today and hope to be in the house the next couple of days.

Life goes forward. The signs of that life - an award, first keys, taking a deep breath on your own - are how we remember where we are and why we're here.

I can honestly say I get caught up in the crisis of the moment. Sometimes, especially when there are multiple emergencies going on at one time, those are the only things I see. That's how we miss the small things that make everything special. The way a song on the radio plays just right on a radio. You know, the song is perfect mood and pitch for what you're feeling. It touches you, makes it special. One little moment, just you and that song and the certain emotion. You can't get there and listen when you mind so far in a situation where your heart is on the line that you can't just stop of a moment and breathe.

I write this all to try and remind myself that I have to slow down, enjoy these moments. So many little things get missed but they matter so much. For me, its my family and my boyfriend I miss out on most and they are someone of the deepest parts of me. Over the next little bit of time I hope to explore those parts more. With this coming move, it's like taking mental snapshots of them all to keep with me on dark and stormy days.

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite "small things"?

© Copyright 2011 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723251-The-Small-Things