*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/719239
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1631463
A young Navy pilot struggles to make a good impression in his first squadron assignment
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#719239 added March 6, 2011 at 6:22pm
Restrictions: None
Prologue
Sunday, August 8, 1965



Dear Dad,


Sorry about the kneeboard cards, but that's all I have to write on. I'm waiting at Base Ops for a ride to Fallon on the supply C-117. It's been a chaotic week here. We car-qualled on Wednesday and then all that was left to finish A-4 quals was a sand-blower, which I flew Friday morning.


I was all set to relax and catch some z's over the weekend when the XO called to ask me what I thought about a change of orders. It seems that VA-224 lost a pilot on their shake-down cruise and they need a replacement. You probably heard about it. A Lieutenant flew into the water off the carrier, southwest of Santa Barbara.


Well, I think you'll agree it's a great career move. They deploy to West-Pac in two months so I have to get up to speed on squadron procedure and all that.


You remember, Walker Stroll? You met him when I got my wings. He'll be in the same Air Wing. We're going to do some catching up tonight since he's also at Fallon. He's been raving about showing me Ma's Place where everybody hangs out.


The only bad thing is that when I called Suzy and told her, she didn't take it so well. She flipped out. I tried to tell her what a great opportunity it was. All she could see was that her wedding plans were messed up so she told me to forget her and take back the "stupid ring." I know Mom will be upset about that.


Well, I hope your NavEur tour is going well. Give Mom my love. Hope she's feeling better.


Cash
© Copyright 2011 Sharkdaddy (UN: elloy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sharkdaddy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/719239