*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/719041-Goals-Trolls--Airplanes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1523686
Nothing like a fortune cookie to make a year intriguing.
#719041 added March 20, 2011 at 7:18pm
Restrictions: None
Goals, Trolls, & Airplanes
"Next to the wound, what women make best is the bandage." ~Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly
Currently listening to: "Alison" - Elvis Costello
Currently reading: "The Invisible Sex" - J.M. Adovasio


Today was one of small accomplishments. You have ever had one of those days where you get a nagging feeling at the back of your neck and realize that you have a stack of little items that need to be finished soon? That was it for me today. I ended up at the circular dining table I usually end up doing everything at except eating and writing out a list of the small things. It was pretty long to tell you the truth. Amazing how those things creep up on you.

Slowly but surely I finished off everything, but left no time for dinner. Chinese take-out night complete with fortune cookies. You know your life is one of sadness when you look forward to the free, stale cookies that are meant to signal an end of orange chicken and overcooked steamed white rice. The surprise is kind of nice though. Sometimes the strip of a white paper is philosophical or snarky or something that leaves you pondering as it is as generalized a statement as anything can get. Tonight, however, was a bit interesting.

"Keep an eye on your goals or you'll become a troll".

Hmm. I can picture when this little gem of cookie prediction made it to the passable file. Somewhere along the way, in a claustrophobic conference room, a lone man is sitting a table with wads of paper crumpled around him, tapping a pen on his lip, when inspirational struck him like a dumbbell to the head. Goals and trolls. Perfection.

Tickled pink, I decided to book my trip to Washington while munching on foiled chicken triangles. (As an aside, I have no idea what actually makes up the mashed up triangle, but it is freakin' delicious. I figure I can enjoy them more if I don't think about it.) After an hour of airline quotes, I book the damn thing because I really don't want to become a troll. It took a long-winded conference call from my uncle in the Midwest, my grandmother stuck at home with the flu while my grandfather is in the hospital and a local bank teller in Compton who was probably scared out his mind to get the money wired to me to get this trip in the bag. The least I could do is be prompt about my travel plans.

This is one of the most jumbled blogs I've written but it conveys an accurate picture of how my mind will do anything than think about the problematic confluence of events that are circulating my life at the moment. Those forgotten items suddenly become found and finished. Fortunate cookies take prominence. Goals are met without procrastination. Hours are wasted searching the internet on useless knowledge. It is a thing.

But at least I'm not a troll.

© Copyright 2011 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/719041-Goals-Trolls--Airplanes