*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/675007-More-Cowbell---Because-Its-NaNo
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #1478547
"All books are either dreams or swords."
#675007 added November 6, 2009 at 9:12am
Restrictions: None
More Cowbell - Because It's NaNo
You find inspiration wherever you can. And when you have a firm grasp on it, you put it in choke hold to make it stay put. Like a metaphoric teddy bear made of sunshine. Performance wise, I could definitely pick up my game for NaNo. I haven't even touched the 5000 word mark yet, and there's a charity drive depending on this project. I need a freakin' sunshine bear.

So, I was strolling through the different blogs of authors I enjoy. One of my favorites is Jenny Crusie and her Argh Ink blog. Funniest snark writer I've ever read. Anyways, she mentioned in her latest post that she's doing NaNo while writing her next novel, and will be unable to blog all the much for the next month. But the thing that got me the most (beside the snippet of her NaNo, which was hilarious) was her reasoning behind what she feels is lackluster writing on her part. "Its okay because its NaNo".

For reasons passing understanding that struck a cord with me. I am now using that as my mantra. Fifteen minutes ago I dumped my cup of tea for a high-octane cup of java. Its little after 5:30 in the morning my time and I'm floating on about two hours of sleep. But that's okay because its NaNo. I can have bloodshot eyes with frizzy hair shooting off in all directions while growl at people at the bus station later. Why? Because its NaNo. Whenever I'm grouchy for no explainable reason or feel like throwing all my notes and paper up in the air, screaming "Screw this!" at the top of my lungs - its okay because its NaNo.

Another quote of inspiration I've taken as my sword and shield is "More Cowbell". For those who never saw the infamous skit on SNL, Christopher Walken plays a parody of a famous music producer helping Blue Oyster Cult make their hit "(Don't Fear) The Reaper". Will Farrell plays the musician handling the cowbell in the song. The skit revolves around the rest of band finding the loud banging of the cowbell annoying, but Walken keeps insisting that the cowbell needs to be loud and constant, "really explore the space with cowbell". I'm, when I'm losing faith in the NaNo, I say to myself more cowbell.

See, I can use this crackpot philosophy because its NaNo. *Bigsmile*


© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/675007-More-Cowbell---Because-Its-NaNo