*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/648224-So-They-Used--A-Pencil
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #1478547
"All books are either dreams or swords."
#648224 added May 4, 2009 at 10:14pm
Restrictions: None
So They Used A Pencil
It is said that at the height of the "Space Race", the US spent millions of dollars on creating a pen that could be used by astronauts in space while experiencing zero gravity. The process took over a year, but the Space Pen was finally put into use to write upside down, under water, and at extreme temperatures.

The Russians, however, simply used a pencil.

I find this happens often, and Americans don't have the sole claim on this notion either. Too often we look so far ahead to advance ourselves in superiority that we miss the key to everything. Take the "Swine Flu" for example. The people needed to know about the flu to arm themselves - no one thought that by naming it the "Swine Flu" that pork futures would take a huge hit, bringing down that part of the economy.

Not to mention that the H1N1 flu has nothing to do with pigs. Go figure.

Having the morning and afternoon to reflect on life while trying to keep my stomach from heaving from a mild bug going around, I came to the realization that we work ourselves to the ground trying to invent the wheel all over again. It is said that there are no new ideas out there (see, I made this about writing after all *Pthb*) just creative ways to package old ones. Maybe that's true. Maybe every idea has been written, painted, explored, or created before.

But do we stop ourselves from trying anyway?

**If anyone comments on this, I'll give you a gift. I would really like a discussion on this. *Smile*

© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/648224-So-They-Used--A-Pencil