*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/639185-Personal-Boundaries
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #1478547
"All books are either dreams or swords."
#639185 added March 6, 2009 at 8:06pm
Restrictions: None
Personal Boundaries
For the past few weeks I've been exploring the concepts of personal boundaries, but not in the usual sense. This semester I'm taking a ceramics class along with my other academic courses. Its been a while since I've been able to work with my hands so this was a lovely reprieve from the normal lecture grind. The premise behind ceramics is simple. You're taking wet clay and forming it into something. However, the true complexity in ceramics is something that can reach the soul. When you're working with clay you're literally instilling a part of yourself into whatever you're making. Your cells blend into the clay as you pinch, and mold, and scrap the shape you're hoping to achieve. And when you're done and fire the form in the kiln, your imprint will be in the clay long after you've left the world.

Deep stuff here.

So, on a random whim, I entered a poetry contest where members write on the contemporary topic picked by the moderator. On Sunday evening you're given an article to read and create something that inspires you about what you've read. Its been a great experience so far, but I have to say that the topics have been kicking my ass.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1436863 by Not Available.


The first article/topic was on the topic of why people don't discuss race anymore in the United States. Racism has been a big part of my life, much of which has not been a good experience. Reading the article brought back some memories. Writing the poem was one of the most difficult I've created.

Black and White  (13+)
Hiding behind the black and the white.
#1533481 by LdyPhoenix


Who knew that the next one would be even more painful. This one will haunt me for a while. I can only hope I did the topic justice. I will see what others take from it.

 Ties That Blind  (13+)
Fear lies in the influence of strangers while the danger lurks within the familiar.
#1535476 by LdyPhoenix


With this current trend of topics I'm almost afraid what this Sunday will bring.

© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/639185-Personal-Boundaries