*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/552069-Calls-of-Destiny-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1354068
Parts of a short story/ novel? that I have been struggling to find a direction for
#552069 added November 28, 2007 at 10:54pm
Restrictions: None
Calls of Destiny (2)
Operator: 911, what’s your emergency?
Destiny: Well… I … have a boy.
Operator: Is he requiring medical assistance?
Destiny: Well, no… I don’t think so.
Operator: What IS the emergency then?
Destiny: Well, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with him.
Operator: Perhaps you should call your local parents club group.
Destiny: What?!
Operator: Ma’am, if this is not an emergency you need to free up the lines for REAL emergencies.
Destiny: But what am I supposed to do with him?
Operator: I suggest you take care of him.
*Click*
Destiny: Hello? Hello??
Silence is returned.

*Dialing*
Receptionist: St. Christopher of the Heart, may I help you?
Destiny: Yes, I have a child.
Receptionist: How far apart are the contractions ma’am?
Destiny: What?!
Receptionist: Your contractions, how far apart are they?
Destiny: I’m not HAVING a child, I HAVE a child!
Receptionist: How long ago did you have the child, ma’am? Is the cord still attached?
Destiny: Listen carefully… I … have… found…a…child.
Receptionist: I see. Is he injured?
Destiny: No! He’s not injured. I’m just trying to figure out what to do with him. Maybe find his parents!
Receptionist: Have you called the police ma’am?
Destiny: Of course I called the police! They did nothing! I thought maybe I should find his parents instead.
Receptionist: Very well… his name?
Destiny: Umm, I don’t know. He’s very young… two maybe three.
Receptionist: Do you know his parents’ names?
Destiny: No, I just thought maybe… they’d be there.
Receptionist: Well, we’ve had no one admitted that is missing a child, that I’m aware of.
Destiny: (Sigh) Very well, thank you.
*Click*

At a loss for anything else to do she calls 1-800-MISSING, the Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
CMEC: Center for Missing and Exploited Children, may I help you?
Destiny: Yes, I have a child.
CMEC: How long have they been missing?
Destiny: I don’t know, I just found him.
CMEC: Oh wonderful! What’s his name so we can list him as ‘found’?
Destiny: I don’t know his name.
CMEC: Excuse me?
Destiny: He’s not my child.
CMEC: Well, how do you know he’s been missing? Did you see his photograph on a milk carton?
Destiny: No! I just found him at my door. I don’t even know where he came from.
CMEC: How old is he?
Destiny: Two or three, I guess.
CMEC: And he was just wandering around?
Destiny: I don’t know. There was a crash, and the screams… and when I looked outside to see what had happened I saw nothing. No smoke, no cars, no people… nothing. Then I looked down and there he was, covered in dust, tears streaked down his face, staring up at me.
CMEC: Did you call the police?
Destiny: Of course I called the police!! What do you people think I am, an idiot? I just take small children into my home and call everyone EXCEPT the police?!
CMEC: Well, no I…
Destiny: I’m sorry. It’s just no one seems to be able to help me, or even seems concerned.
CMEC: Well, we will do what we can. Can you describe him please?
Destiny: Well, like I said, he’s about two or three years old, about, hmm, maybe two feet tall, blond hair, and the most crystalline blue eyes I have ever seen.
Destiny: Blue jeans, gray-striped tennis shoes, and a green flannel shirt that he looks to have outgrown last year.
CMEC: Hmm, do his pants and shoes seem to fit?
Destiny: I think so, he’s in the kitchen, let me go look… yes, they seem to.
CMEC: Ok, may I have your name, address and phone number?
Destiny: Yes it’s Destiny Street S-T-R-E-E-T, and the address is 232 SW Eve. Dr.
My phone number is 555-1432.
CMEC: Thank you, we will start a file for him and call you if we hear anything at all.
Destiny: Thank you for you help.
CMEC: Your welcome… and good luck.
*Click*
© Copyright 2007 Kathi F (UN: bt84 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kathi F has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/552069-Calls-of-Destiny-2